Kitten food help please!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that the nutritional content of food is always being discussed here, so I do apologize for asking questions that I know have been dealt with already, but I'm thoroughly confused about what I should be feeding my kittens. Human nutrition bewilders me enough, never mind cat nutrition!
Currently I always leave out dry kitten food for them to munch on all day, and they get some wet food for dinner time. I'm feeding them Friskies canned food at the moment, but only have two cans left and will not buy it again after looking around here and realizing that it's all by-products and other things I don't want in their little stomachs. I have one can of a different (store brand) wet food to try after that which looks, to my inexpert eyes, to be better but I'd like some other opinions on it please.

Ingredients:
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Lamb, Chicken By-Product, Ocean Fish, Egg Product, Brewers Rice, Salt, Dried Beet Pulp, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein: Min 14.5%
Crude Fat: Min 10.5%
Crude Fibre: Max 1%
Moisture: Max 68%
Ash: Max 3%
Magnesium: Max 0.04%
Taurine: Min 0.08%

The label also assures me it is "Certified by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association to meet it's nutritional standards" though I don't really know if that's a guarantee of quality.

What do you think? Does anyone have a list of "Top 5" things they look for when choosing a cat food that I could keep in mind when I go to the store? It's funny but I couldn't care less what I eat myself, but I want only the best for my kittens!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am guessing this is a wet food:0

Ingredients:
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Lamb, Chicken By-Productheads ft intestines, Ocean Fishwhat fish
, Egg Product, Brewers Ricelow quality ingrediant , Salttoo high up likely cause it doesnt taste good , Dried Beet PulpI okay this fiber in a dry but dont understand it in a wet, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Taurine.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein: Min 14.5% good
Crude Fat: Min 10.5% good for kittens
Crude Fibre: Max 1%
Moisture: Max 68%
Ash: Max 3%
Magnesium: Max 0.04%this could be a misprint as it is very high
Taurine: Min 0.08%

Look for minimal grains... high meat ( not by products or digest )... I avoid wheat soy and corn

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are, apparently, a few other dry "raw diet" dry foods besides Innova too. There are also a few raw diet frozen foods as well. I'm hesitant about feeding my girls canned now (I just read a horrifying article...about what they put in it), and I won't mention it here, but I'll give you guys the link if you'd like to check it out on your own...it's

The one nice thing I did see about the two frozen raw diets I saw, was that it was prepared from human consumption grade meat...which after that article, is all I'll buy in the future. Those two were Nature's Variety frozen prepared raw, and Primal pet foods frozen prepared raw.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

There are, apparently, a few other dry "raw diet" dry foods besides Innova too. There are also a few raw diet frozen foods as well. I'm hesitant about feeding my girls canned now (I just read a horrifying article...about what they put in it), and I won't mention it here, but I'll give you guys the link if you'd like to check it out on your own...it's

The one nice thing I did see about the two frozen raw diets I saw, was that it was prepared from human consumption grade meat...which after that article, is all I'll buy in the future. Those two were Nature's Variety frozen prepared raw, and Primal pet foods frozen prepared raw.
that link would be intresting... i have found many raw foods prepared with too much "other stuff" ... i use the basic one s and add what I want ... also basic canned from quality companies is very good

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do give a list of what canned foods are acceptable, and they broke the list down into with grains and without grains. They also give a link to another site that tells you what the nutritional breakdown is for all the canned foods, and from there you can see about all the dry foods.

Anyway, I'm still just getting over diseased meat. UGH, no more of that!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

They do give a list of what canned foods are acceptable, and they broke the list down into with grains and without grains. They also give a link to another site that tells you what the nutritional breakdown is for all the canned foods, and from there you can see about all the dry foods.

Anyway, I'm still just getting over diseased meat. UGH, no more of that!
Sounds mostly like a scare site... Most premium foods are coming from inspected plants now WHETHER or not the company states it ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahh me off to look at it ... I think I may have read it
..lmao... my memory stinks

it was written with a vet but NOT by one and the info is not quite on the mark for today ... yes a few few yrs back possible ....