magnesium not listed?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm trying to start including wet food in my cat's diet. i've been shopping around, reading labels, experimenting to see what he likes, etc. so far, he likes a few of the premium brands (mostly the fish flavors, go figure). i read on this forum that meow mix is palatable and decent for a supermarket wet food, so i let him try some...he loved it, so i'd like to include this in the rotation. however, i'm curious as to what the magnesium level is, but it's not listed in the guaranteed analysis (i checked the label and the website). anyone know? if the company doesn't openly list it, is it simply not available?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the company .. but as a general rule if fish is the first or second the mag will be high

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sharky.

I just sent them an e-mail. We'll see. I'm not too desperate about this, as this isn't the only brand he likes- so I can simply not buy it, or feed it only occasionally. But I'm just curious.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually was wondering that myself. The company will hopefully provide an answer soon! Would you please share the magnesium amount with me when they tell you? Thanks!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They wrote me back. I hope it is okay to post this:

Thanks for visiting our Meow Mix website and for your email. All of our Meow Mix Wet Cat Foods contain about 0.02% Magnesium.

Researchers are continuing to learn about Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD). For a number of years, the dietary factor most commonly associated with FLUTD was magnesium. However the latest research indicates that the magnesium level in a food is not the primary cause of the formation of Struvite crystals. In fact, cats require the proper amount of magnesium, and our products are formulated to meet a cat's nutritional requirements. We hope this information is helpful.

Thanks again for contacting us. If we can be of more help, please call us at 1-800-252-7022, Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time, or visit our website anytime at www.delmonte.com.

----, Del Monte Foods Consumer Affairs
[email protected]

They said "about" 0.02%, which seems a bit vague, but I appreciated the response.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, at least they responded! It's nice to know at least a general idea...even if they were vague. I wonder if "about" means that the magnesium levels can vary slightl from one pouch/cup to another?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yes, at least they responded! It's nice to know at least a general idea...even if they were vague. I wonder if "about" means that the magnesium levels can vary slightl from one pouch/cup to another?
I dont think it has been thru the food trials so it is a guesstimate... Yes some are stating mg doesnt play in UTI health ... I would agree if you are homecooking and KNOW EXACTLY what is in there .... meow mix is a decent food but some ingrediants and there quality are questionable

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely wouldn't be completely satisfied with this answer from a company
The precise cause of FLUTD isn't known but with so many factors influencing the onset and formation of struvite crystals, I'd want a product that has the minimum amount of magnesium for a FLUTD kitty. IMHO, it just seems that they're trying to write-off the whole magnesium argument without providing you with a real answer. I haven't come across anything in the scientific literature to suggest that magnesium levels in food aren't a big deal; if I did, I wouldn't be feeding both of my boys low-Mg cat foods!!