I need help!

buccawee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a brand new cat owner. My adorbale little kitty was adopted last week. He had been living with all his little brother and sisters his enitre 9 months of life. He's been nervous, understandably, dashing from hiding place to hiding place. I realize it's a new adjustment. And I also realize it is going to take some time before hs is completely comfortable.

So we set him up in the bathroom, which is huge. I bought him toys, a bed, and a scratching post. He doesn't move all day long. At night, of course, he is active. I grew up with cats, so I know they wander at night. But the past 2nights he begun to scream. Cries for hours. And there is nothing you can do. He is not screaming at the door, or trying to get out. I know he is scared. But I have no idea what to do about making him more at home.

When I spend time with him in the bathroom, it takes some time, but he does come out from behind the toilet. He wants to be touched and he genuinely wants to be around me. But then suddenly something sets him off, and he runs back into hiding.

Any Advise would be better than what I already have... which is nothing!!!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could put an alarm clock in with him....use the old-fashioned type that makes a ticking sound. It seems to be a comforting influence on kittens and puppies that are in a new home.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor little guy, and poor you with lack of sleep! My advice is to talk to him a lot, with a soothing voice. Tell him about your day, or anything, but go into the bathroom and talk and talk. I'm sure you have a warm, comfy place for him to sleep, and the ticking clock is a good idea. Just make sure the alarm is off! If you haven't had him checked out by a vet yet, I'd do that right away to rule out that the crying isn't a health problem.

Hang in there, he will warm up in a few weeks and before you know it, he won't leave you alone.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome. Does he have something furry he can snuggle up to - a rug or soft toy? That can often help if he is missing his siblings. And a radio playing soft music can help relax a nervous kitty. I hope he quietens down a nd you can both relax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buccawee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the help. I guess I'm just an impatient owner. I so desperately want him to love me as much as I already love him.

He was checked out by a vet the day wen adopted him. He is as healthy as can be.

I will look into the alarm clock. I am willing and able to try anything to make him happy. And I do talk to him all the time. He seems like he wants to come to me, but he is just not ready.

Thanks again
Becca

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can i ask , did you get him from a rescue? if so did they not sugest him going with one of his siblings? being with his litter mates for 12 weeks cant be very hard for a kitten to adjust , but being with them for 9 months , they would have bonded so so much. it sounds like he is missing his litter mates terribly. his in a new home with new surandings and is just so scared. the above advice is great , just give him some time , he should come round.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is just scared and lonely at night. He is used to his siblings being around all the time and now, you come in to play with him during the day off and on but at night he is by himself for an extended period of time.

I have always had kittens sleep with me from day 1 when I brought them home so I really don't know what might help him except to be with you at night so he's not alone and scared.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Ty Beanie Baby cat is a great comfort to some kittens, as it is the same size - my Ginger slept with her "baby kitty" from the time she was 8 weeks old. (She was adopted from a litter of 4 and had been with her sisters until I took her home.)

Later, as she grew older, it became her favorite toy. That is, until Ferris came along!

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound crazy but it helped my kitten when we first got her, i picked a song (lullaby) and held her and sang to her over and over,,,it really made her feel more secure
Hope it helps

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's also crying for his brothers and sisters, he doesn't understand what happened to them.

This is going to take some time. Try to see it from his point of view. You'd been pretty scared too if something that looked like Godzilla (big and tall, not green) came after you and wanted to pick you up.

Use your voice. Talk to him. Tell him he is your new baby and you are going to love him always. After a few days, you may see some improvement.

Let us know if this works out and if you have any more questions, just holler. We are here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buccawee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

can i ask , did you get him from a rescue? if so did they not sugest him going with one of his siblings? being with his litter mates for 12 weeks cant be very hard for a kitten to adjust , but being with them for 9 months , they would have bonded so so much. it sounds like he is missing his litter mates terribly. his in a new home with new surandings and is just so scared. the above advice is great , just give him some time , he should come round.
He did, in fact, come from a rescue. And they never mentioned taking more than one cat. I did think about it, but with this being the my first pet, I didn't want to over due it. Of course, thinking about it now, I might have reconsidered.

To the person who said they've been sleeping with their kittens from day one. I tried to bring him into the bedroom. He immediately ran under the bed and began to cry.

All this advise has truly been so helpful. I was so worried I was just a bad cat person. I realize now, he really is just scard and lonely. And getting all the attention in the world during the day and then being alone in the slience at night must be so hard for him. I am totally going to try some of the suggestions here. I need to stop thinking I'm a bad parent and just give him the opportunity to come to me. Because from the way it sounds, he absolutely will.

All my thanks,
Becca