Company offers DNA tests to determine your dogs breed

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products3.html

They are going to offer the test kits around the end of February. It will be able to genetically identify 38 major breeds and the percentage your dog is of those breeds by using a cheek swab. The test will be around $50. A vet asked about it on a news program said it would be helpful in some cases to know what a dog is so they can watch for breed-specific diseases. Most likely it will be used to quell curiosity.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless they have made HUGE advancements with this ... I would avoid it ...

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont know it sounds a bit fishy to me. I dont think they'd be able to accurately tell you what breed any dog is.

I am on a dog forum and there was a case where a members friend had an accidental breeding with her lab. She bred to a male cocker spaniel. Well the resulting babies looked like green eyed bloodhounds.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I dont know it sounds a bit fishy to me. I dont think they'd be able to accurately tell you what breed any dog is.

I am on a dog forum and there was a case where a members friend had an accidental breeding with her lab. She bred to a male cocker spaniel. Well the resulting babies looked like green eyed bloodhounds.
Any chance there are pictures of that? I have a hobby of collecting pictures of known mixed breed dogs to use as benchmarks.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know mine is a mutt and to be honest, I don't care what he's mixed with...........I couldn't love him anymore!!!
But, this would be a neat idea for anyone who wants to know for sure what their breed is.