This Is So Hard!!

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For my marketing class, we have a group project to do. We have to come up with a product that hasn't been created yet, but it easily marketable and can be described easily in a report format. My group is having the hardest time thinking of something, and our product proposal is due tomorrow!

So far everything we've thought of has already been invented (my two ideas were a self-tinting car windshield and a thermometer pacifier).

My professor won't let us take a product that exists (ie, a candy bar), and make a new version of it (for instance, Snickers with peanut butter or something like that). I really don't know how she expects us to come up with something...it seems like everything has already been invented!!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WE had to do this for our marketing class too;; WE could revise an existing product though..

We did this mouse for the computer that was part of the keyboard,, but you could use your pinkie on your right hand to move it around,, more like a ball in between the end button and the arrow up button...

It was really easy to market, and it was a stickon....

Maybe you can do that.....

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That IS hard, considering that most inventions throughout history have just been a more convenient alternative/version of an already existing product!

I guess you could always walk through your house or apartment or dorm (sorry, I don't know what level of schooling this is and if you live with your family or in a dorm or whatnot) and see what is really annoying and inconvenient in your life and "invent" something that would make it easier!

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a degree in marketing and I had several projects where I had to either improve an existing product or create a new one with a group.. I can't really remember what we did, I know a couple of them were services as opposed to an actual product though. I have a portfolio at home so maybe I'll look through it after work and see what was up.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not that this would be considered, but something I have always thought about was a little button (mechanism) on the front panel of my 'fridge that allows the shelves to automagically lower or raise without me having to take everything out, remove and replace the shelf and then put everything back in.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Not that this would be considered, but something I have always thought about was a little button (mechanism) on the front panel of my 'fridge that allows the shelves to automagically lower or raise without me having to take everything out, remove and replace the shelf and then put everything back in.
owww! I like this idea!!
You're a genius!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to do something like that in one of my design classes. I made 'Get Ovet It Goo' Our product could be a bit more ficticious than real. I actually still have it in the other room too.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

That's great!!! I think that one is perfect!!

I had to do something like that as well for an engineering class I had. We had to engineer a new product and I did a child-tracker. I came up with a new product that children could wear on their shoes or another article of clothing that would help track the child if they were ever stolen or abducted. Thing is - it was a "new" product per say, but there were some other versions of child locators so it's not a new "idea".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone - just wanted to update you
My friend thought of a great idea! You know how pretty much every store now has a membership card that's either in card form or those little keychain things? Stop & Shop, Barnes & Noble, PetCo, etc... well she's tired of having a different card for each store, so she suggested making a universal card. At each store you get a membership at, that store has a certain code that can be swiped on to the card. Then I was thinking that there could be a website for it where you could type in your card number and view all of your reward points, savings, etc.

I have a group meeting at 8:45 tonight to go over our ideas and pick one, hopefully the other members like this idea!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a really cool idea. I now I would be all for it. My keychain and wallet is getting heavy with club and coupon cards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

That is a really cool idea. I now I would be all for it. My keychain and wallet is getting heavy with club and coupon cards.
That's what I was thinking too. I have 5 in my wallet and 4 on my keys!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The idea frightens me a bit - very big brother, but I like it a lot and think it would be very marketable....

I love coming up with invention ideas, but mine are usually unmarketable, or already invented (ie. the heating/cooling mug)

My best idea ever was flavoured envelope glue....but then i realzed that would encourage glue-eaters everywhere, and glue shouldn't taste good. ...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like an awesome idea- I'd be all for it! I have too many of those darn things!