Good News! My 'lake' is gone.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may remember that I have been living all winter with water lapping against the back wall of the house, coming from two springs that surface in the hillside above me. This week the masons started at last on trenching the water and reinforcing/repairing the back and side walls. I am so glad to see it happening at last. And tomorrow the guy comes to start installing my bathroom. The kitchen will take a little longer. But here are some pix:

A view of the back. The whole area has been under water for months, around ten inches deep. Now it is temporarily channelled away from the foundations and is running down the lane! It will eventually become a water garden with a little seating area with the water feeding a pond and waterfall in the front garden. You can see how much of the hillside we have had to dig away to ensure there is no damp in the house.

There were no real foundations as this part of the house was once a barn. So the masons are making new external foundations to support the house, and then they will repair all the stonework.

This is the front, showing the old house on the left(where I am currently living) and the old barn part, which will contain my living room, kitchen, study, bedroom and bathroom. The old house, which has a kitchen/living room, three bedrooms and a bathroom, will become guest accommodation. The stonework here has all been redone, but the terrace needs rebuilding and the house needs 'dressing' with shutters and plants etc.

Enough work to keep me busy and my bank account empty for some time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

It's a lovely house, i'm sorry there is so much work to do on it. are you having a wheeping tile system put into place? or are you keeping the moat?
Sorry, what is that? There will eventually be a retaining wall to hold the hillside in place (made from old railway sleepers with plants growing over them) and there will be a decorative stream with iris and water plants on its edges, running through a gravelled area that has seats. The water will run into a hidden pipe and down to the front garden where it will re-emerge as a waterfall.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the lake is gone, Jenny, and to see how well the house is shaping up. You've really made a lot of progress.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You've made quite a bit of progress. It will be absolutely amazing when it is done

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny! Your house is breathtaking. I feel that sometime in the future there is a trip to France in store for me, LOL!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful home Jenny. I know from VF that you are so tired of all the rains and your lake. A lake is nice when you want one, but not unplanned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is slowly getting there. Today the masons are still busy. And I have a carpenter here sorting out the wardrobes in my new bedroom. I have decided I cannot afford to go out and buy more furniture, so he is adapting the fitted wardrobes I had before. It will be fine, and I can't wait to have all that storage area! More unpacking of boxes this weekend, methinks. And as I have said before, I would love to have visitors from TCS!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

It is slowly getting there. Today the masons are still busy. And I have a carpenter here sorting out the wardrobes in my new bedroom. I have decided I cannot afford to go out and buy more furniture, so he is adapting the fitted wardrobes I had before. It will be fine, and I can't wait to have all that storage area! More unpacking of boxes this weekend, methinks. And as I have said before, I would love to have visitors from TCS!
Oh, cool. I'm from TCS.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had seen the earliers pics you posted of the house, but didn't realize they were against a hillside. The water garden sounds lovely.