Dusty is limping - AGAIN!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week Dusty was limping on an off for about 3 days, and last Thurs. she saw the vet and got a shot of anti-inflamitory med. She seemed better, but today when I got home from work she isn't bearing weight on her left front leg again. I can tell by the way she is acting that she is in pain. She's just not acting like her usual self.

Tomorrow am I am calling the vet again. I try squeezing various parts of her leg up to her shoulder, and I can't pinpoint the region of pain.

She is only about 4 yrs. old, so I can't believe it is arthritis. Anyone have this experience?

I'm really worried.

italysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't had experience with that, but I would get back to the vet to get some answers. My kitty is 15 yrs old, with arthritis and she doesn't limp... she just moves sort of slow when she first wakes up.
Sorry not much help .... good luck !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am waiting for the vet's office to call. Vet tech earlier said I may be able to get a prescription to give her. Would be wonderful if I don't have to take her in. She's not happy in the car.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have they not even asked to do an x ray on Dusty?, if not i would be asking for one done regardless. My two hate going in the car to the surgery, but for the time it takes it would give peace of mind all round.

Is the vet tech the nurse or the actual vet? if it's the nurse saying that tell him/her you want to speak to the butcher not the block if you know what i mean. Don't get me wrong the nurses know a lot, but i want to speak to the main man/woman when it comes to my two

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet's office called back this afternoon, and he wants an x-ray, so we have appt. at 8:20 tomorrow morning. I had to put her food away at 6 this eve. and nothing except water from now until she wakes up after the x-ray.

She isn't limping as badly today, but I can tell she isn't putting much weight on it. Also she didn't eat much dinner tonight, and she just doesn't seem herself. My poor baby.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Dusty. I hope her xray turns out ok. I'm glad that they vet called back though and wanted an xray. Let us know how it turns out for sure.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty couldn't have breakfast this am and she was really upset. DH and I had to leave the house for fast food at 6:30 until it was time to leave for the vet. We couldn't stand to her her cry for food.

So, since they were sedating her for the x-ray, I had them wand her for a chip, and thank goodness, there was no chip - meaning we don't have to give her back to her previous owners, whoever they are! So we had her chipped while she was still asleep.

We go see & talk to vet about the x-ray this afternoon about 2:00, so I'll update then.

Poor baby, she was so upset when I put her in her carrier and carried her to the car. She was trembling and yowling all the way. Then I had to put her in the cold steel cage, and she looked so upset and so sad.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No fractures! But she does have one old fracture to her right wrist. This must have been before she adopted us.

So she got another shot of prednesone and has pills for the next 10 days. How do I pill a cat?

She also got chipped. $380 later - it's a good thing she is an only child. I don't think I could afford two.

Poor baby was so stressed, and after we got her home, she wouldn't let us near her. I guess she doesn't trust us.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pilling a cat is great fun!!! Acutally its not all that bad. Just remain calm. We do it in pairs. One wraps Beard in a thick towel and holds him like a baby. The other comes and gently opens the mouth by gently putting pressure in the middle of the teeth. Then you drop the pill as far back in the mouth as possible, this is because the tongue works really really good at working the pill from the back and out the side....and there is nother ickier than trying to get a half soaked pill unstuck from your fingers into the cats mouth and staying there. You can try coating it in a bit of butter to help it slid down. Just a suggestion, although I'm sure there are other great ideas that you will get.
Good luck
Denise

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing .......... so if it was an old fracture, why does she keep limping on it? Is it still bothering her? Did it heal wrong? What are the pills for?

I am sooooooooo glad you took her in. Yay and shes chipped!! I know you were so worried they would find a chip!!!! Shes yours all the way!!

You know you can have your vet call in any pill meds into a compound pharmacy and they will have it made into liquid, which is much easier to give a cat.

Just sit down on her level and talk softly to her. She will forgive you. Its so hard to see them so stressed and it just takes some extra cuddles and sweetness to bring her around again.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the pilling tips!

Pami, the old fracture is on her other (right) leg - not the one that is currently giving her problems. So the vet just thinks her left leg limp is probably a pulled muscle or some sort of soft tissue injury. The prednesone pills are to relieve the irritation. The shot from last week helped for a few days, then she may have reinjured it, or the shot wore off before it was healed. Anyway she got another shot today, and the pills are to be given over 10 days and tapering off.

I'm at work, but DH is home, and he says she is still stressed and won't go near him, and she is still "drunk" from the sedation they gave her. I hope she will forgive us soon.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me a bit different directions to pill our cat.
Hold your cat so the body is parallel to ground. Gently tip the nose up toward the ceiling and the mouth automatically opens. Toss the pill to the back of the mouth, continue to hold the nose up and rub the neck.
When the tongue comes out to lick the nose, the pill is swallowed.
It worked very well and wasn't traumatic.