My cat is going to get me evicted, help? :(

alixen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yo

My cat is a 2 year old Tom; he is the most affectionate thing you have ever seen. Some people liken his behavior to that of a dog more than a cat. He comes sits on my stomach as i use my computers, he leaps onto my shoulders and lays like a fur wrap around them, he drools all over me as i pet him. All in all he's a lovely cat.

Who likes yowling to be let in the house.

Loudly.

At 2am-6am.

And i live in a flat/apartment.

With a Communal Hallway.

That echoes badly.

With 3 other tenants.

It's 5am as i write this, because i was awoken in my bedreoom riiiight across the apartmewnt to the sounds of him yowling to be let in from the hallway; which means undoubtedly he woke everyone else in the building. And i have no idea how long he was doing it for.

We arnt actually allowed pets, cats just generally slide by the radar since they dont tend to be a huge bother.

Not my cat

As i write this he is sat a foot away nuzzling my shoulder on the sofa arm.

Thing is, if this was just a one off thing i could let it slide, i've passed him off as a stray i occasionally let in and feed, who belonged to a previous tenant, which isnt going to hold up long if he sits in the hall yowling in the middle of the night until i wake up.
But he does this sort of thing a lot.

If i let him out after 9pm you can be certain at 3-4am you will hear him fighting with other cats, yowling at the windows to be let in, or come in with some bloody injury that i cant afford to treat.

I even tried not letting him out for a week; he pawed at me constantly, tried slipping around me til i left the house, started defecating in radom places (and not well formed stuff either), and sitting next to the windows and yowling.
So i cant turn him into a housecat like i'd like to.

Really, i'm at my wits end.

Unless someone can advise me with a way to stop him getting me evicted, i'm going to end up having to give him away. And i would hate that, being as he is the loveliest cat i've ever known and is my only companion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alixen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried that too.

I let him out at 9am, he came back at varying times int he afternoon.

Then he stayed out all through the day and came back in the early hours, and has been doing that since.

So unfortunatly thats not an option; he comes back whenever, rather than a set ammont of time.

Usually when i'm reallly exausted and in the middle of the night.

alixen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, but i'm also a 19 year old male, who lives on £30 that goes on food.

Plus, i have a deep missgiving about having a part in another male (whatever species) losing its testicles.

Do you really think that would help? His problems are more that he doeasnt and couldnt know that yowling to be let in the house is a no-no.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he isn't neutered then that is the basis of all your problems... He will probably be a lot better once neutered, not to mention a lot healthier, disease and cancer free and less stressful to you with worrying what to do with him

alixen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But... his testicles?

If it means i could keep him...

Generally how much is the operation? And do you think its either that or finding him a new home? I know its not an easy thing to advise with, since he technicly isnt really doing anything wrong; he just wants to be let in. Its just tends to be loudly and in the early hours of the morning.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he shouldn't be out in the first place if he isn't neutered. Not only is he adding to the overpopulation problem but it is not healthy for him, he can pick up Leukemia and Feline AIDS. He can get badly hurt in fights, etc... Also it cuts his risk of cancer to basically nonexistant.

Definately neuter him, look around for a low cost clinic in your area. It can be anywhere from free if you qualify to $150 depending on where ya go
What city and state do you live in? We can help you find a low cost place or possibly free if you are low income.

And once he starts spraying urine all over your apartment and outside... your landlord is going to flip.

alixen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm low income to the point i had to stretch a weeks food money to 2, so i could treat myself for the first time in 3 months :p

I'm in the UK, live in North Yorkshire in a small town with a single vet. So unless he is highly kind, i dount it will be free

I will just have to borrow the money from my father; ugh, hate asking him for money.

Guess my lil pal is going to to have to enjoy his time with his twins while he can...

Either way, i'm still open to other ideas a little less... perminant.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alixen

Either way, i'm still open to other ideas a little less... perminant.
Honestly there really aren't any other ways to get around it. It is just overall healthier for your cat, for all cats to be spayed or neutered, if disease and cancer aren't a good enough reason I don't know what else is. You want your cat to be as healthy as he can be right? Most people here are really going to tell you the same thing, in fact, people on most forums are going to as well and for a very good reason
I am sure you can smell his stinky smelling urine around your home and in his litterbox right? It is really nasty! That will stop when he is neutered.

I cannot really help you on finding places in the UK, there are plently of people on here who are from that area who might be able to help. Many regular (more expensive) vet clinics offer low cost options via a certificate. I don't know if they have that in the UK.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alixen, you may have to take a little trip with your cat, but I live in the UK (North West) and if you do a little research, or perhaps talk to a local vet, there are RSPCA centres which carry out their treatment either for free, or hugely reduced prices for those on low income (you may have to provide some kind of proof, and the nearest will probably be in your nearest major city)

I pretty much guarantee that this is the reason your guy is sreaming at night - he is calling for all the ladies!!!! It might seem a bit un-manly to have him 'snipped', but he will be far more relaxed!!! By the way - when I had all my boys done last year, they were £30 each - so even if you need to borrow the cash, it is a relatively small amount - especially whenyou think of the peace it will give you both!!!

Good luck!!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really need to get him neutered. He is not going to stop behaving this way until he is, and you're also putting him at risk of catching disease or getting injured in a fight (not to mention the number of kittens he'll be fathering - the majority of whom will probably end up living as strays, in shelters or put to sleep). He'll be much happier to stay at home if he's neutered. If you're on a low income try contacting your local cats protection branch. They have neutering vouchers - I think they even pay the full cost in some cases.

Then you really need to keep him indoors at night. Once he comes in during the evening don't let him out again. It's dangerous for cats outside at night and a disproportionate number of RTAs happen at night time. He may cry to go out at first but if you ignore the crying he'll eventually stop and get used to his new routine. You might want to have a word with your neighbours to explain that you're dealing with the noise but that it may get worse before it gets better. Try to get them on your side. If they realise you're aware of the problem and doing something about it they're less likely to get nasty and report you to the landlord.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He won't want to wander so much when he has been neutered, and he won't feel the need to serenade the local ladycats all night long. There are places where you can get it done cheap or even for free if you are on benefits - try the RSPCA and the Cats Protection League.

You can look at it this way - if he gets hit by a car or injured in a fight while he's out looking to mate, it will cost you way more than the cost of neutering to get him treated.

If you are worried about him losing his testicles, consider that un-neutered male cats stand a good chance of developing testicular cancer - would you rather that his testicles became tumourous and diseased, cause him a lot of pain and eventually kill him? Your cat won't feel the same way you would do, this is about your feelings, not his. He won't miss them, please trust me on this. You will be sparing him from disease, fighting, and roaming in front of cars. Do this for him, please

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Alixen

First of all, welcome to the site

I do agree with the others that neutering is the only thing that is going to stop this behavior. I had a male cat back when I was 14 or so. He behaved just as you are describing, and when we had him neutered the behavior stopped. He pretty much stayed inside after that as well. He was still as cuddly as ever, just the yowling was gone. Oh, and don't worry about him losing his boy parts... he won't even notice

Soon, he is going to start spraying which can be quite unpleasant
If your roomates are being tolerant of the yowling, I fear they won't be as tolerant with the spraying... It stinks.

I really hope you are able to work things out so you can keep the little guy around. He sounds like a sweetie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your male is looking for females. And getting into fights with every other tom. You will be spending a heck of a lot more money in patching him up from fighting, not to mentioned a host of diseases he will get - some of them fatal (FELV, FIP), pick up fleas to bring inside. Also he'll be proned to get testicular cancer by not being neutered. He might not come home one nite because a stray dog ripped him apart or a car came around the corner and ran him over, or some cruel kids poured gas on him and set him on fire.

Get him neutered (desexed) now and keep him inside. Its a small price to pay for a lifetime of better health. By letting him breed, you are part of the problem of strays that are picked up to be taken to the shelter to die because they have no homes.

Your friend will be with you a lot long and be healthier, more affectionate if you do the right thing

One other thing - your cat won't get you evicted from the yelling he's doing, you'll be evicted cause he will start spraying urine all over the house, on your clothes, in the carpet/flooring. Don't think your landlord will be pleased!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its a small price to pay for a lifetime of better health.
That is a great summary of the overall reason to neuter

alixen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll book him into the vet when i can scrape the money, and keep him in til then.

It's probobly the only way i'm going to be able to keep him, so i have little choice.

Thanks for your nice advice all (though some came across a little condecending), i apreciate the advice.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be prepared for him to spray everything in sight being stuck indoors now - no way to avoid it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you get the money together to get him fixed (do your best to make it really soon - it will get worse), confine him to a room where it can be easily cleaned, unless you supervise him. You don't want him spraying all over the house.