New extended Daylight Savings Time

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you ready for it?

If you haven't heard, our wonderful US Congress passed the Energy Policy Act, increasing the length of Daylight Savings Time by 4 weeks.
While this only directly affects the US and Canada, it indirectly affects the world.

Remember, all of your electronics that recognise DST and change automatically, will no longer do so.
This affects computers as well.

MS is working on solutions on the IT end as this has the same potential for problems as Y2K had.

DST goes into affect the second Sunday of March at 2am.

Mark your calendars.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm missing the deeper significance, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is going to affect anyone outside of the US - and Canada, I guess, if they're participating.

Daylight Savings Time starts and ends earlier (or did) in Ireland than the US - and my computer changes on the Irish change date. I imagine that that's the situation most people are in.

If I'm missing something, please let me know, and thank you for bringing a possible problem to our attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indirectly affects the world due to business, the world being smaller and all since the internet came to be

Let me clarify.

A lot of businesses house their web based departments on American servers, or are routed through American servers.

All the mainframes and servers in America and Canada (they are participating, Mexico is not), will (at the present) not switch times at the appropriate time.
IT has very little time to get them straightened out.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't see why we don't just flip it all over to daylight time and call it standard. Looks like we're headed that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

I don't see why we don't just flip it all over to daylight time and call it standard. Looks like we're headed that way.
Agreed.
At the time DST was concieved, it made sense, because all light source was oil, wax, coal etc.
It really is an outdated concept and no longer neccesary.