Are there never any cat shows on TV?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon I decided to scroll off the way through the next seven days through Animal Planet and some other lesser known animal channels just to see what was on. There is certainly no shortage of dog shows coming up this week but no cat shows. Are cat shows ever televised like dog shows are?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have often wondered the same thing. I don't think they are ever televised, unless on local access channels!
I think it has to do with a lot of things, mainly that it wouldn't be as entertaining as a dog show, where they run the dogs in circles and have commentators. Cat shows are so informal, and there's nothing really of interest to film, unless all the judges were excellent public speakers, able to explain all their choices. Maybe if there were more agility shows they'd get some press!
Dogs just seem to have more of universal appeal than cats, unfortunately. Even though more people own cats (last I read anyway), dogs seem to have a more loyal and enthusiastic following.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

I have often wondered the same thing. I don't think they are ever televised, unless on local access channels!
I think it has to do with a lot of things, mainly that it wouldn't be as entertaining as a dog show, where they run the dogs in circles and have commentators. Cat shows are so informal, and there's nothing really of interest to film, unless all the judges were excellent public speakers, able to explain all their choices. Maybe if there were more agility shows they'd get some press!
Dogs just seem to have more of universal appeal than cats, unfortunately. Even though more people own cats (last I read anyway), dogs seem to have a more loyal and enthusiastic following.
I agree with that, I only seen something about cats and cat shows on t.v once and my friend actually called me to tell me, it was on A&E but it was a show about cats and where some came from and such but it did show u a cat show, although I really do wish that there were cat shows on t.v sometimes theres so much dog shows which I also watch those but I wanna see kitties too theres really never anything on with kitties, but thats something I always wondered, I even looked it up on their site one nite with no luck !!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The CFA International will be on GSN March 27 I believe. Check your local listing for exact times and date. I don't get that channel so I am having a relative record it for me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be because its really one major dog association (AKC) and the cat associations are too many to be filming the one "big" show. It would be nice if they could televise the International TICA show, the International CFA show, and the big Annual (end of year awards) show in ACFA.

Then too - you have multi finals in cat shows (each ring is its own show) and you don't have a final like in AKC - winner in each group goes for BIS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

The CFA International will be on GSN March 27 I believe
. Check your local listing for exact times and date. I don't get that channel so I am having a relative record it for me.
Thank you! I have this day marked on my calendar.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Internationals are televised on occasion because at the end of the show they have the "Best of the Best". Which means there is ultimately only ONE overall best in show - just like dog shows. Not many cat shows in any registry do a Best of the Best since their COTY (Cat of the Year) is usally based on number of points gained in the show year.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that point system seems to be to generate money to keep the program of cat shows going.
The breeders or those inclined MUST go to quite a few shows....and final to get points...get the most points and thereby win .
I'm not a rebel and since I don't breed cats it's not an important issue. But even with breeders you have to spend an awful lot of money to get Champion , Supreme etc....(notice I dont know the title system *lol*)
I did it with the breeder of my cats and really got to see first hand what they go through.
The cat shows themselves are not really exciting because most of the judges don't talk about the cat they are showing. In fact out of the five shows I have been to....both in TICA and CFA...and lady named Anger, was the ONLY one that explained what she was doing as she judged each cat. It made it far more interesting to watch.
They need some judges that *entertain* the crowds. I think that would stimulate more interest in the shows themselves. In fact, put a few stand up comedians as judges, yeah that should do it...*lol*
Just my opinion....but would be curious to see if anyone else feels that way? And just so you don't think i got way off subject...I don't think they televise much in the way of cat shows because.....the associations responsible for these shows need to do more to make them more appealing ...to the public.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ACFA judges seem to be more "audience" related when it comes to talking about the cats or what is going on. They don't explain the workings of a show per say, but do explain about the breeds/qualities a lot more then some other associations. I showed a lot in ACFA.

CFA judges are hit or miss. This past show that Charlie was in - many of the judges talked to the audience about the breed. We were really impressed with one judge (Jan Rogers)(at least DH was since he's a "newbie"). As she judged the cats, she would tell a bit of history on them. She was pretty accurate too
She took Charlie out and first thing said "he may look wild, but he's 100% domestic" and then told how the breed came to be.

I was only in one TICA show, so I'm not familiar with the judges.

When I was a household pet judge I would talk to the audience about HHP's, their colors (correct
) and a little on how they were judged, what most judges look for etc. I always mentioned about how picky I am on grooming - especially on the longhairs

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

The cat shows themselves are not really exciting because most of the judges don't talk about the cat they are showing. In fact out of the five shows I have been to....both in TICA and CFA...and lady named Anger, was the ONLY one that explained what she was doing as she judged each cat. It made it far more interesting to watch.
They need some judges that *entertain* the crowds. I think that would stimulate more interest in the shows themselves. In fact, put a few stand up comedians as judges, yeah that should do it...*lol*
Just my opinion....but would be curious to see if anyone else feels that way? And just so you don't think i got way off subject...I don't think they televise much in the way of cat shows because.....the associations responsible for these shows need to do more to make them more appealing ...to the public.
I agree with the point you're making, judges should talk to the crowd as they are judging.
The problem is....doing that, is often time consuming and the show is on a schedule, especially when there are 7 rings in one day with a lot of entries.
The judges know that the exhibitors really hate it when the show runs really late. Everyone gets tired and the cats get cranky...some owners get really cranky!
So, I think many of them just stick to the business at hand. Judge the cat and move on.
The solution would be to have less rings and subsequently more time for the judges to spend with each cat, so they can do a little entertaining.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
* tongue in cheek* ... I always thought it was due to the cats not signing off on there likenesses being broadcast