What to do when dogs fight....?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has 3 dogs. Ben Border Collie 4, Zac Rottie mix 3 and Rory lab 4 months. Older 2 are neutered, puppy getting done next month.

They have been sleeping in the kitchen for about a month now overnight, last night they were let in and apparently there were a few chips on the table. Zac and Ben got into a fight over it. Rory got his hackles up and was ready to jump in.
Rory was shoved out of the room to keep him out the way.

Nothing would stop Ben and Zac, she banged pots, yelled, finally my sister was able to open the door and they took the fight outside. Once outside it lasted a minute longer then they stopped and went back to being best friends.

None of them got hurt but we were wondering what's the best thing to do when they start to fight? I have only 1 dog at home so I'm not familiar with multiples.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically the same you do for cats, stay out of reach and throw a large blanket over them.
If they are outside, water usually does the trick.
Just be sure they are dried off quickly.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a "dog thing" and since they are two males about the same age it looks like they are arguing over their position in the "pack". Alpha dog gets fisrt dibs on food, beta and everyone else after that has to wait. Sometimes you are ok with letting them work it out among themselves, but it can get very very nasty if they do not.
It also sounds like neither one of them respect your sister as alpha, which has potential for problems. If alpha human says to cut it out, they are supposed to listen. I have heard of people breaking up serious dog fights with a breaking stick but that goes way beyond what I would dare do.
I hope this does not turn into anything major, but your sister may want to look into the NILIF approach for dealing with these boys ("nothing in life is free"). I swear by it and it may help prevent something bad from happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Basically the same you do for cats, stay out of reach and throw a large blanket over them.
If they are outside, water usually does the trick.
Just be sure they are dried off quickly.
Thanks

Originally Posted by 2dogmom

This is a "dog thing" and since they are two males about the same age it looks like they are arguing over their position in the "pack". Alpha dog gets fisrt dibs on food, beta and everyone else after that has to wait. Sometimes you are ok with letting them work it out among themselves, but it can get very very nasty if they do not.
It also sounds like neither one of them respect your sister as alpha, which has potential for problems. If alpha human says to cut it out, they are supposed to listen. I have heard of people breaking up serious dog fights with a breaking stick but that goes way beyond what I would dare do.
I hope this does not turn into anything major, but your sister may want to look into the NILIF approach for dealing with these boys ("nothing in life is free"). I swear by it and it may help prevent something bad from happening.
They are fed and walked in alpha order. Usually they do listen to my sister, this was their first fight indoors in a fairly small room.
They are clicker trained, and have always had to sit or whatever before getting anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's had the older ones since 8-10 weeks old. The new puppy, he came in only at Christmas time. Both older dogs have put puppy in his place, he tries to eat from their food bowls and they don't allow it. All play well together.

Perhaps it was just a one off thing, minor scuffles happen periodically and are easily broken up.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A new puppy usually doesn't disrupt the alpha status of the resident adult dogs. Puppies don't threaten established adults. I agree with 2dogmom. Your sister MUST establish her alpha position over these dogs. If they viewed her as alpha, one word from her would have stopped the fight.

NILIF is one good approach. I'm a personal fan of anything Jan Fennell (the original Dog Listener) who uses a gentle approach to obtaining alpha status. She has a good book out called The Dog Listener.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally you could throw the bucket of water on them (if outside fighting) but inside I think I'd have just thrown a blanket or very large towel over one to stop the interaction and take away the object of the fight.