Food Advice...for UTI and (possible) IBD kitty

cheebacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie here. I joined because I'm looking for a better food to feed my cat, Cheeba. He's 11 yrs old, and he's currently on a half & half mix of Science Diet c/d and Science Diet Adult (dry). He has a history of UTI's, but has never blocked. I really don't care for the ingredients of SD, but since I switched him to the c/d mix 2.5 yrs ago he hasn't had a problem, so I want to be very sure I'm doing the right thing before I change his food.

He has had vomiting and loose stool every 2 weeks or so. When I took him to the vet for it this week, the vet thinks he may have IBD or colitis, but isn't sure. The vet suggested that I switch him to Science Diet z/d or another digestive-friendly food. I asked the vet about other options and he told me that he wasn't a nutritionist, but that science diet was fine. I had been reading on these boards for a couple weeks, so I asked him what levels of magnesium, ash, phosphorous and calcium he thought would be appropriate. He said as low as possible for the mag and ash, but didn't give any upper limits. He said phosphorous and calcium don't matter, so I'm having a tough time figuring out what to do for Cheeba.

I've rummaged around the boards, but I can't seem to find what levels of calcium and phosphorous are appropriate. Besides the UTI history and new requirement for GI-friendly foods, should I be taking his age into consideration for choosing an appropriate food?
Oh, and I'm planning on switching him to a half dry/half canned diet. I was thinking about the TimberWolf Organics Serengeti for the dry food.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Timberwolf is a great food (My dog eats a timberwolf natural choice mix ... wish I could get my hands on the cat here ) ... BUT it is not for sensitive tummys .. look at something like California natural they have chn and rice or herring and sweet potato .. or you can homecook as my vet recommends

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheebaCat

Hello everyone,
I am a newbie here. I joined because I'm looking for a better food to feed my cat, Cheeba. He's 11 yrs old, and he's currently on a half & half mix of Science Diet c/d and Science Diet Adult (dry). He has a history of UTI's, but has never blocked. I really don't care for the ingredients of SD, but since I switched him to the c/d mix 2.5 yrs ago he hasn't had a problem, so I want to be very sure I'm doing the right thing before I change his food.

He has had vomiting and loose stool every 2 weeks or so. When I took him to the vet for it this week, the vet thinks he may have IBD or colitis, but isn't sure. The vet suggested that I switch him to Science Diet z/d or another digestive-friendly food. I asked the vet about other options and he told me that he wasn't a nutritionist, but that science diet was fine. I had been reading on these boards for a couple weeks, so I asked him what levels of magnesium, ash, phosphorous and calcium he thought would be appropriate. He said as low as possible for the mag and ash, but didn't give any upper limits. He said phosphorous and calcium don't matter, so I'm having a tough time figuring out what to do for Cheeba.

I've rummaged around the boards, but I can't seem to find what levels of calcium and phosphorous are appropriate. Besides the UTI history and new requirement for GI-friendly foods, should I be taking his age into consideration for choosing an appropriate food?
Oh, and I'm planning on switching him to a half dry/half canned diet. I was thinking about the TimberWolf Organics Serengeti for the dry food.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hello.

I have been through almost every high-quality commercial food I can get, as well as most prescription diets, for my IBD cat Teddy. The only thing he can eat is Science Diet w/d. While I'd prefer not to feed him this, it's all he seems to be able to eat. For him, the fiber content of the w/d is likely to be what helped. He had constant diarrhea for the nearly 1.5-2 years that we went through food testing. He's now only on the w/d (wet and dry), and he also has to take 3.5mg of prednisone every other day.

Hopefully, you can take care of your cat with food, and no drugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheebacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the feedback because once I made the mistake of mentioning that I wanted to stay away from Science diet, the vet got a bit short with me and was less than helpful with my other questions.

I'm sorry to hear that Teddy had it so rough. At least you've found something now. Cheeba's vomiting & loose stool are only every two weeks approximately, so hopefully it won't come to meds.

I'll definitely look into the California Natural. I guess I'm just a bit confused by all the restrictions that Cheeba has on his diet now. I thought UTI kitties were supposed to stay away from fish? Also are calcium & phosphorous levels important, and if so what are the amounts?

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat gets diahrrea and no other food, not even SD z/d worked. I switched him to all canned food and the diahrrea has gone away.