Dr. Foster's Bene Bac

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got it in the mail at the recommendation of a couple of TCSers and started Ferris on it on Saturday. I gave him one gram on Saturday and one on Sunday.

The reason for this is to try to avoid going through the trauma of catching him to vet him (and thereby ruining the trust I've gained) and to see if probiotics will help with his loose & runny stool issues.

I gave it to him as the filling in a couple of treat "sandwiches" as he didn't like the smell and I can't hold onto him to just administer it by mouth. He was suspicious, but this boy has yet to turn down any kind of a treat, so Bene Bac was fully ingested.

As of yesterday evening, I hadn't seen any sign of runny bowels, but haven't seen a solid poop from him yet. Am hoping that the bacteria is doing its thing and is helping fix his intestinal lining.

Will keep you posted - but if any of you could spare some "solid poop vibes" for little Ferris, it would be greatly appreciated!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good "poop" vibes being sent your way

I am a big fan of Bene Bac! Have used many times on my own cats & with foster babies...works wonders. Be patient though...this doesn't work like an overnight magic wand. It took about 1 full week to see great results with my 6-month old Ari. I always have a spare Bene Bac on-hand for the just in case problems w/fosters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

sure thing!! hard poop vibes coming for Ferris
LOL - thanks, Katie, but you don't have to strain yourself so hard!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

I am a big fan of Bene Bac! Have used many times on my own cats & with foster babies...works wonders. Be patient though...this doesn't work like an overnight magic wand. It took about 1 full week to see great results with my 6-month old Ari. I always have a spare Bene Bac on-hand for the just in case problems w/fosters.
The directions say to give day before & day after stressful situations, but we aren't treating him for stress.

Should I give him 1 gram per day for a whole 7 days, or should I do it every other day - what do you think based on your experience? (And I bought two tubes of it, just in case.
)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I am a big fan of Bene Bac!
worked like a charm for my Java!
for the solid poop!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

LOL - thanks, Katie, but you don't have to strain yourself so hard!
that is supposed to be Ferris, not me!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

what is it?
bene bac is a tasty paste of probiotics for small mammels ... safe for ferretts rabbits cats and dogs

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

bene bac is a tasty paste of probiotics for small mammels ... safe for ferretts rabbits cats and dogs
Ferris doesn't think it's so tasty, LOL!!! He thought that it was
by itself, but when I jammed it in between two crunchy treats, he just couldn't help himself!

But the moment we've all been waiting for - I cleaned out the box tonight, no poops from anyone. Ginger jumped in and plop, plop, plop, good girl!

I scooped yet again, then it was Ferris' turn to inpect my work. It was SO hard to pretend that I wasn't paying attention, especially when I heard that same soft plop, plop sound!

We have a achieved a normal bowel movement!

Thank you, thank you Sharky for the advice about the Bene Bac!

I'm going to not give him anymore and see how he does, if it goes wet again, another dose or two - if he just needs a little good bacteria for maintenence once in a while, I can certainly handle that!
And no vet visit was needed - that's the best. We can work on continuing to build trust with him, and that is so key!

Yay! Hooray for solid poops!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

The directions say to give day before & day after stressful situations, but we aren't treating him for stress.

Should I give him 1 gram per day for a whole 7 days, or should I do it every other day - what do you think based on your experience? (And I bought two tubes of it, just in case.
)
I administered 1 gram every other day for a 7-day period of time...this was for a 6-month old kitten. Good luck w/poop.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I administered 1 gram every other day for a 7-day period of time...this was for a 6-month old kitten. Good luck w/poop.
He's 8 months old now, so I'll watch him over the next couple days, then give him another dose just for good measure. Can't hurt as long as I don't over do it.