Are your cats in your will?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unpleasant topic, I know, but we are doing the will thing, and I was wondering how many people have their animals in their wills, or have some sort of provisions set up just in case.

My sister has offered to take care of our daughter and our (then) two cats, although she is very allergic. Now we have three cats, and I'm wondering how she would get them all to Texas 'cause she's not very well herself.

Thanks in advance for your responses; I'm hoping for more ideas.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even havea will..... I guess I need to follow your lead and make a will. oh don't forget the living will.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the first things we did when we had our daughter was to make a Will. We wanted to choose who would care for her should anything happen to us. Of course we asked permission of the folks we wanted first.

Because all three of us love our kitties dearly, I know that should I pass on the kitties would be well cared for by both or either my hubby or daughter.

Everyone should have a Will IMO, because without one, the government can dictate what happens to our estates and can get messy if we leave family behind.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neil and I should really get a will. Since we have no children we do need to have provisions for our assests-the cats being one of them. I thought there was another TCS member that set up some sort of trust??

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an official will...I've just informed all my family members that if something were to happen to me (which would then pay off my mortgage etc), I would expect them to take care of my kitties and make sure then end up in a loving home together.....and if they dropped them off at a kill shelter I would come back and HAUNT THEM forever!!!

I figure the money from the house would be enough to provide for the kitties for the remainders of their lives...and it should be worth my family taking the time to find the right new home for my babies.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Rosie and Sophie are in my will. The instructions are that if i die before them, my sister or my niece will look after them until they die, and once that happens they will be cremated and their ashes will be mixed in with mine, then the 3 of us will be scattered in the north sea where my parents ashes are

My lawyer looked at me when i requested this and said "Really?", i said don't tell me that's the most unusual request you've ever been asked because it can't be!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

My lawyer looked at me when i requested this and said "Really?", i said don't tell me that's the most unusual request you've ever been asked because it can't be!!
Lawyers are more shockable than you'd think. I made my first will the day after my eighteenth birthday - very unusal, yes, I know - but still, the look of disbelief that I got, when I was just trying to be practical.

In answer to the original post, though, I do need to update my will to include provisions for my cats - in practical terms arrangments have been made with friends and family.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no will, but I really have nothing of value.
My entire family knows and respects my wishes for my truck (the only thing I own) and my pets.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a will. I guess since I'm only 20, I never really thought about having one! I really should, though. My cats will stay with my parents(where they & I currently live). I have a file saved on the computer & on a disk that i update regularly on "basic cat care". It gives my mom a headache to look at it!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have a will but I know my ex would take care of my babies if anything happened to me. He was their Dad (and still is) for the last 4 years.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone who mentioned her dog in her will. She only has one relative. She is also leaving her money to an Animal Charity instead of the neice.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Yes Rosie and Sophie are in my will. The instructions are that if i die before them, my sister or my niece will look after them until they die, and once that happens they will be cremated and their ashes will be mixed in with mine, then the 3 of us will be scattered in the north sea where my parents ashes are

My lawyer looked at me when i requested this and said "Really?", i said don't tell me that's the most unusual request you've ever been asked because it can't be!
!
I agree, although back when I alloted a portion of my assets to the SPCA, the lawyer looked at me with that same kind of look you are talking about. Our church believes mostly in cremation and we have a tree in the back yard of the church that we are growing from former member's ashes. This is certainly not a new idea but one that will get you the same funny looks. BTW, you can easily find urns for cats on the internet, One person I know has six of their former cats in urns in a showcase. Again, strange looks, but not from me.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very good topic that needs to be addressed at some point by every animal owner. As a matter of fact- when we do adoptions through our shelter- we always bring this up- in the event of your passing- what do you plan to do with your animal? Who will care for them...things like that- and they always must sign a waver that they will be brought back to us if nobody is able to care for them. I do not have an actual will at the moment. (plan to get one soon.) But i do have a living will and i have also discussed this with my mom, colin, and my sister kimmy. In the even that anything happens to me- they will care for them.And i feel good knowing that. My sister kimmy is a huge animal lover- all of my animals know her and her kids (her kids are wonderful with mine) and all of her animals get along with mine. So whatever my mom does not keep- kimmy will.
Also- Kim and i have talked- if anything happens to her and her hubby- i will adopt her children and take in her animals. Colin knows this and is ok with it. (this is always something to discuss and agree upon with your SO too if you have one.) / The shelter that I used to volunteer with wound up taking in 4 different kitties from owners who had passed on that had previously adopted from there. Had we not had that provision in the clause- there's not telling what would have happened to them. So planning ahead is always a good idea. You just never know...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a will, but when I make one I will definitely include the kits. We didn't get Flash's or JC's ashes after they died. But when (I hate thinking of this
) Squee and Scratch pass, I want their ashes so when I die they will be buried with me.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a will yet, but when I do make one I will definetely provide for all of my pets in it. I'm not too worried about them though, between my family and my boyfriend I know they would all have great homes and be well cared for the remainder of thier lives.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet, but several people know my wishes when it comes to my sweet
Bella
being buried with me, she is in a casket and it is sealed in plastic and she is in a cement tomb my husband built with a 70 lb top on it and that is all built in the ground, so it wouldn't be too difficult for her to be put with me. And I will haunt everyone if this is not done!!
As far as my other cats, my family has all been assigned who goes where!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

BTW, you can easily find urns for cats on the internet.
When i first said i wanted the girls ashes mixed with mine, he said but if they go before you where will you put their ashes?, i said in a slow voice like he was a can short of a six pack, "In an urn like you would a humans ashes", he said "Do they do them for animals?", i said "They have pet cemetries!!!, then in my head i said "You numpty!!".

Needless to say i double checked the draft copy of my will before going in to sign the original!.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes i do they go to steve, if he and i happen to go at the same time they go to one of my parents (should they still be around) and if all else fails i have three best friends listed as well. it will be updated as the years ago. but i have planned for my babies