After neuter question....

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just brought Davidson home from his neuter. I have a few questions that I know you guys will answer better than those darn vet techs.

His voice seems REALLY hoarse and quiet when he meows, is that normal? Its not as deep/clear as it was before.

Also, he keeps licking himself- is that okay? I don't want him to do any damage

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He shouldnt be licking did they give you cone??

he may be outa sorts for a bit ( day or two ) so cats just recover slower

I am a bit dated as the last neuter in my house was 16 yrs ago

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope... no cone
He tried to do it a few times, but I told him NO,and he stopped and hasn't done it since... I just want to be sure that he won't hurt himself or cause any damage.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I just brought Davidson home from his neuter. I have a few questions that I know you guys will answer better than those darn vet techs.

His voice seems REALLY hoarse and quiet when he meows, is that normal? Its not as deep/clear as it was before.

Also, he keeps licking himself- is that okay? I don't want him to do any damage
Congratulations on getting him neutered. I think your boy will be ok....he is probably reacting to the sedative that they gave him...so make sure that he has plenty of water and I would also give him some nice canned food.

Now, by licking himself..is he licking his surgery site?? If so, you may want to get him a surgery collar so he can't lick the area.

Katie

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitter apple for what? I wouldnt spray bitter apple directly on the cat.
I think a bit of licking will be normal but over excessiveness and you should probably get a cone. My friend just had her kitty neutered a couple of weeks ago. He did lick down there a few times but he's totally fine and everything healed up nicely

As far as the hoarse voice, probably from the anesthesia and if they perhaps put a 'tube' down his throat, his throat will be a little sore for a while.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Congratulations on getting him neutered. I think your boy will be ok....he is probably reacting to the sedative that they gave him...so make sure that he has plenty of water and I would also give him some nice canned food.

Now, by licking himself..is he licking his surgery site?? If so, you may want to get him a surgery collar so he can't lick the area.

Katie
Thanks Katie!

He was licking the surgery site, but after he did it once, he hasn't done it again. If I'm able to get a surgery collar, I will for sure, I'll have to see about that. How long should I keep an eye on him, as far as licking in that area?

His voice is getting better... and louder
Back to normal!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd give him a few days to see if he keeps on licking. Dorian only licked for the first day, then it was back to normal for him!

I'm glad Davidson's surgery went well!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
as far as the licking, I didn't even see any of my boys do it, but it was rough chasing the girls around! No No No No!!!! every 5 minutes!!
but give him 24 hrs and he will probably be as good as new! Maybe even better

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he is fine! Maybe he did a lot of meowing at the vet. Like after I go to a big event and do a lot of screaming my throuat and voice are hoarse. He is home now though!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His voice is probably hoarse because during surgery he will have had a tube down his throat, and that can cause some irritation. If it doesn't clear up within a couple of days or if he exhibits any other symptoms speak to the vet.

Radar licked a bit but no harm came of it, as long as it's not excessive or getting inflamed.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd give his voice issue a few days as well - could be hoarse from the tube.

If he's not licking excessively, I definitely wouldn't put one of those cone collars on him. Our kitties never had the collars and they healed beautifully. The vet just said to make sure they don't OVER lick. Some licking is normal.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tuxie doesn't tolerate collars - to the point where we seriously worry he's going to hurt himself.

Just keep an eye on Davidson - like others have pointed out, some licking is normal, but if he goes at it, you'll have to do something. If not a collar, then the vet will have to give him a wrap. But a bit of licking is OK - obsessive licking is not.

And I'm sure his voice will be back to normal in a day or two! Feed him some wet food with water mixed into it. Or put out a few extra water bowls for the next day or two.

Laurie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone - his little voice is much better- and he's only tried to lick the area a handful of times for a few seconds, and then he's done
Maybe its itchy or something?
Otherwise, all looks well- nothing is inflamed or looking unusual, which is a relief for me!

Thank you to everyone!!