Ginger is now turning up her dainty nose...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...at all wet food, except to lick up a little tiny bit of the juice when she's in the mood.

She's a Picky (with a capital "P") girl, and I've spent SO much money offering her choice after choice of wet food in the past.

About a year ago, we settled on two types of wet, Meow Mix and FF, ONE flavor only, tuna & shrimp.

Well, it seems that she's now sick of those, because she won't eat them at all, and just looks away when I set her bowl down.

I know she is eating, because after I refilled the dry food bowl, she ambled on over and starting munching away.
Meanwhile, Ferris will eat anything he can get his mouth on. No worries there.

So I guess I have no choice at this point except to just feed Ginger the dry mix (mostly Nutro) that they get. She does drink lots of water, so I don't have to worry there, but it saddens me that she is rejecting the wet food, because I'd much rather see her eat that than any dry.

She's so picky, though, that she will go hungry before eating something she doesn't like.

Are there any others of you out there that have had cats actually reject wet in favor of dry food, when wet is what you'd prefer that they eat?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saki is really big on dry food. In fact, I'm supposed to be feeding him urinary s/o but he really only likes the dry. For the wet I have to mix a little of another type of food with it to get him to eat it
But I really want him to have wet as well so I do what I can to get him to eat it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
maybe try the new Shebas... there little metalic tubs ....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Are there any others of you out there that have had cats actually reject wet in favor of dry food, when wet is what you'd prefer that they eat?
Beandip is my UTI prone boy and so I would love to see him eat more wet. He doesn't refuse it completely, but I can only get him to eat about an ounce...and only certain types. He will accept the real pasty pate flavors of Nutro. He won't touch the 'gourmet' chunky kind.

Pumpkin is a competitive eater that actually growls and snorts while she's eating her wet food. But if it's the chunky kind, she'd rather starve. She won't even taste it.

Most of mine prefer that sticky pasty Nutro. For some of them, they eat it better if I break it into 'bites' and put in it a small pile. They act like they don't want to have to scrape it off the plate (it's real sticky, hard to explain).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I did, tried several of them, and she was having NONE of it. I wasted SO much money trying to find wet that she'd eat, I can't even tell you.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Beandip is my UTI prone boy and so I would love to see him eat more wet. He doesn't refuse it completely, but I can only get him to eat about an ounce...and only certain types. He will accept the real pasty pate flavors of Nutro. He won't touch the 'gourmet' chunky kind.

Pumpkin is a competitive eater that actually growls and snorts while she's eating her wet food. But if it's the chunky kind, she'd rather starve. She won't even taste it.

Most of mine prefer that sticky pasty Nutro. For some of them, they eat it better if I break it into 'bites' and put in it a small pile. They act like they don't want to have to scrape it off the plate (it's real sticky, hard to explain).
Ginger is (was?) a gravy licker, and she refused any and all pate styles really early on. She stopped eating any Nutro wet at about 5 months old, much to my dismay.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My old girl doesn't like wet food much. In her case, I think she's just set in her ways and doesn't want to change. I just keep offering it, and sometimes she eats a tablespoon or two. Offering a variety of flavors and textures seems to help. Whatever she doesn't finish gets eaten by the other cats, so nothing goes to waste.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mine are happy eating the Meow Mix wet, but I really wanted to get them on a higher quality, I bought every single flavor of every brand: merrick's, Evangers, Wellness, Cali Nat, even the Chicken Soup wet, and many others.... and I'm still feeding Meow Mix
if I found a flavor they liked, I would get so excited just to have them turn their noses up the next time I served it
little boogers!!! so I'm just sticking with the MM, and of course there are certain flavors they like better than others, fish is very popular
and since I have/have had a multitude of cats, you'd think that at least ONE of them would eat every certain flavor/brand, but noooooooooooo, I think they're all in cahoots to make me crazy

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed both wet and dry to my two cats. The one prefers Meow Mix dry and the other will eat wet preferably. I now use nutro wet, meow mix wet & iams wet. Occasionally I alternate the dry with Iams & nutro. Some of the flavors of wet are not favorites, so then they will only eat the dry which I free feed.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of switching my kitty from all dry to dry/wet. I'm experimenting with different brands and flavors. Looks like a long road ahead, and I definitely sympathize with haveing a cat who favors dry when you want him to eat wet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone suggested this too me ... add water to her dry ( yes it is alast ditch effort)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Someone suggested this too me ... add water to her dry ( yes it is alast ditch effort)
LOL - I tied that before, too, and she thought it was gross and walked away from it, only to return to eat once I had cleaned and dried the bowl and put fresh dry food in it.

Oh well, I will continue to feed Ferris his wet, and maybe she'll have a few bites once in a while. As long as she is eating the Nutro dry and drinking plenty of water (she's great about that) I guess I just have to accept her preferences.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophia is the same way, she will just go on a hunger strike if she doesn't like the food, Sadly she will only eat FF Chicken and Tuna and sometimes she refuses it. It makes me nervous when she won't eat so I gve her Solid Gold tuna on those days, she's so tiny as it is! My boys eat Natural balance wet and Innova dry, she will have none of it! It really upsets me.
Is Ginger a tiny cat?

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new Fancy Feast with Savory Greens are getting rave reviews with my Fluffalorium.

I only have one cat, Rosebud the orange tabby, that doesn't eat wet. She just looks at it funny and walks away.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Twitch only licks to gravy off canned food. I persisted in feeding her wet food 2x a day. After a year now, she eats like 1 TBSP of canned food.....I hope over time she will eat more!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Is Ginger a tiny cat?
She isn't "tiny" exactly. She weighs about 8-9 pounds, but is more fur than anything. She appears to have mostly Maine Coon in her genes, so I had expected her to get larger, but she's full grown now at 1 1/2 years old.

However, I can feel her hip bones, but not her ribs, so I'm not worried that she isn't eating enough.

She "snacks" throughout the day on her dry food, eating several tiny meals.

When she was little, she got three wet meals a day plus dry free fed, then the wet meals went to two, then just at dinner in the evening. The same for Ferris.

Ferris screams at me and rubs against my legs when I'm making "supper" for them, and eats from both his dish as well as hers, once she's eaten enough of her wet and feels done.

However, the last 3-4 days in a row Ginger has refused her wet, which has made Ferris very happy.
Last night was the last attempt to offer it to her - I'm going to skip offering her any wet tonight and see how she reacts.

It used to be that she'd come out and sit in her place waiting for me to put her bowl of wet down in front of her, now she sits off to the side and watches me prepare them, then walks over, sniffs it, and walks away, or walks to the dry food and eats that instead.

Finicky little girl of mine.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Pixel, my senior, won't eat wet, only dry. Java eats mostly the dry, too, altho she occasionally samples the wet. she used to eat the wet, but stopped sometime during this last year

i've looked for these, but haven't seen them in my area.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Found mine at petco and petsmart ... they are on side caps or in corrugates(the card bourd displays)

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My crew is getting fussy about wet food. I started introducing wet in December- Merricks, Natural Balance, Wellness and Nutro. They hate Nutro- all varieties, all flavors. I thought I'd found a winner with Merricks because they all gobbled it up at first. The last two weeks some of them are getting picky about which flavors they'll eat and are showing a preference for Natural Balance or Wellness. I guess I'll have to put out some of each, Merricks and Wellness/Natural Balance and let them choose.