Is your cat a FRAIDY cat??

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, Trout is terrified of anyone that comes into my apartment..she runs and hides behind the couch, and will actually hiss at them if they look at her..

Are normal kitties psychos like this?
:censor::censor::censor::censor:, I'm worried people think I beat her or something..sheesh!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 10 year old that for the first time in his life, actually walked into the living room when we had company over. His brother took 9 years to come out into the open. People don't realize how many cats live with me cause half of them hide with company around.

Hey - who cares what other people think - we all know what cats are like!!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually the only way we know someone has pulled into our driveway is by watching Cedar bolt across the room to go and hide. He is terrified of people but then again he runs and hides if a feather falls to the ground as well

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My Petunia (RIP) was extremely timid and ran under the bed whenever someone came over. Much did the same thing after living with her and now will run under the bed when we have company. She does come out after awhile. Lucy watches at a distance and Carly is everyone's best friend. I think that Carly encourages Much to come out just as Petunia made her so timid.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When stewie was a baby he would LOVE company
but now he has been hissy and growly.

Mikey on the other hand...he is so easy going..he comes out..checks out the scence...evaluates the company..finds me and then climbs all over me and lays on my lap...he likes to be where the party is but he has to show everyone that Im HIS and HE calls the shots round the house.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia is almost 1 year old and she is the exact same way! She will hiss if she is forced to be touched but never more then that. She is just very shy yet one of the most affectionate kitties with me that I've had the pleasure to have!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine all do that. But they will come out the more a person comes over. Although, each of them have come out from the very first time to different people.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

Usually the only way we know someone has pulled into our driveway is by watching Cedar bolt across the room to go and hide.
LOL Saki does the same thing pretty much. He can tell when a 'stranger' is coming to the door and he will run under the bed. But if its my mom or the neighbor or my friend he just goes to the door and stares at it waiting.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two 'fraidy cats when strangers come over - Luvbug and Lil' Jag. They both run for cover under the bed until said person(s) leave.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sho used to be, he would always hide in the bedroom when anyone was over, then a couple years ago on Christmas day he just couldn't stand to be alone in the room so he came out and watched people open gifts and had to sniff everything.
Since then he likes to come out and stare at company. He adores my husband's grandmother, she always gives him a back scratching and baby talks him. Tomas still hides and really isn't that affectionate with anyone else but me.

In the past I've noticed male cats are generally more interested in company, while females prefer to keep to themselves, of course there's always exceptions.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a close friend who for years thought our "other cat" was a joke, Rajah's imaginary friend, because in all the years he knew us he had never actually seen Elvirah. After 12 years she is still hiding from company (she is also a tortie, i hear this type of behavior is more common with torts). He about fell out of his chair when she actually ventured out to spy on him from the shadows when he was here one day.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

People don't realize how many cats live with me cause half of them hide with company around.
No kidding! Out of 8, maybe 3 or 4 will come out w/company here, on a good day. But if the doorbell rings first, NONE of them will be around. They all "peel out" and run upstairs. They are terrified of the doorbell!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish Radar was a FRAIDY cat sometimes- we have had to put him in the bathroom on occasion as he gets himself so over-excited when vistors come round. Still a little early to tell with Sonic but he seems friendly but timid- unlike Radar I can't see Sonic attacking peoples feet

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of mine are really afraid of people... unless the people come on too strong trying to touch the cats and stuff.

But, Wickett is a big baby about everything else. He hides from all kinds of wierd things like plastic bags, baloons and most recently I was holding him and I opened the door so he could see the snow... yup, after a few seconds he wanted down so he could go hide from the snow.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Um, Trout is terrified of anyone that comes into my apartment..she runs and hides behind the couch, and will actually hiss at them if they look at her..

Are normal kitties psychos like this?
:censor::censor::censor::censor:, I'm worried people think I beat her or something..sheesh!!
Persi wants to see and greet everybody. Alley wants to be under the bed when people are around. So, based on just two cats you already have a 50% from me which I would think would be pretty normal but when you factor in the cats I have had in the past, I think probably more than half of them were "run hide under the bed" cats when people came to the house. We also had one of these:
the other night and as expected, Persi was out and about and Alley under the bed. And Alley has now lived here long enough that she is over being just shy because she stays out now unless there is something she feels threatened by for whatever reason.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa is a scaredy cat and hides when visitors come around, but Mosi is the opposite and loves everyone. He goes up to visitors and rubs against their legs, climbs on their laps, tries to play with their shoe laces etc. Anyone coming to fix anything gets a willing helper too

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All but 2 of my 14; Callie the calico longhair and Quasi the tabby longhair. I think it's because they are afraid of getting all that long hair dirtied and having to clean up again!

My tortie Two Face is the friendliest of them. She will bug you to the point of annoyance. The other 11 are very very friendly as well.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of my 4 the most fraidy cat is Precious. She was a stray when she was found wandering around our country property. She was only 5 months old. My husband thought maybe she was a barn cat. She is so skittish.
Mandarin Orange hides only for two reasons: one is Christmas when we have anywhere from 10 - 20 people over. Then he goes and hides in our room under the covers. And two is when my brother-in-law brings his friend over. The cat DOES NOT like this guy. He is a nice enough guy but Mandarin won't even go near where he sat for about 3-4 days after he's been over. WEIRD!!!!!
The other two just don't care. They stay where they happen to be sleeping...lol

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty runs upstairs and hides in our bedroom everytime someone comes in the door. She is a two person kitty, and only likes me and my husband. She sleeps on me all night, and if I am sleeping on my side, she drapes her head over my shoulder. She is such a snuggle muffin. I should have named her Velcro!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aristotle is our fraidy cat. Disappears when someone knocks on the door, but sometimes has ventured out to check the company. Yesterday an uncle stopped by and tried to coax him from the hallway, but no dice.

Topaz doesn't care. She will stay put - even when EMTs were here in 2005 to check on Mom (her blood sugar dropped waaaaay low). She did not move an inch from her spot on the bed!