how can I keep him from her food?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I normally seperate Duke and Sibohan for their wet food but have recently decided to try to keep Duke from eating Sibohan's dry food too. As Duke is 24 lbs and Sibohan is 11 lbs I have always been concerned about Duke's weight, but lately he has been voiding a lot more liquid (he also drinks a lot of water) I am concerned about develping diabeties.
So tonight was the test of new feeding sites. Duke on the floor in the Kitchen like normal, but Sibohan's dish was moved to a tall dresser I have which is about 5 feet tall with nothing to use as a platform to get onto it (Sibohan jumps onto my shoulder from the ground and I'm 6'1") So I figured it was a perfect place for her food that he wouldn't be able to get to. I went into the other room and waited for the jingle of Duke's collar in order to take a peek around the corner guess who made the 5 foot leap onto the dresser!

I have no place taller to put Sibohan's food and I can't invision keeping the kitties locked in seperate rooms all day. it would Break my heart to seperate them or to give Duke back to my parents (last time they both wailed until we reunited them) So I'm at my witts end does anyone have an idea of what I should try next??

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about one of those cat doors that opens with a magnetic "key"? Install that in one room, and put the magnet on Sibohan. Then she can come and go to eat her dry food, and Duke is stuck outside of the room. (Unless he follows right behind her!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you do set feeding times? That looks like it might be your best option right now.....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

oh... I rent, (forgot to mention it) so no high shelves and no holes in doors.
That certainly limits things! Is it possible to block a door so it is almost closed, leaving a hole big enough for only Sibohan to get through? I assume Duke's got a tummy on him.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

That certainly limits things! Is it possible to block a door so it is almost closed, leaving a hole big enough for only Sibohan to get through? I assume Duke's got a tummy on him.....
hummmm, there's a possibility... I will have to look into rigging somthing.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might be able to do the pet door trick without punching a hole in the door. Combine it with the advice about leaving the door open. If you're handy, you can probably build some kind of barricade that Duke can't get through. Leaving the door open might not work alone, since he could push it open. But you could make a "fake door" with at pet door in it, and prop it up. You might not be able to use the room as easily yourself though....

Course, at that point, I think I would just get my own door with a hole and replace it, then put up the old one before I move out. I've taken out doors in rented apartments before simply because they were in a weird place. If you put it back before moving out, the landlord won't usually mind.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in the situation about a year ago. Pico was 18 lbs and growing and Romeo a tiny 9-10 lbs. We resorted to scheduled feedings (once in the AM and once in the PM) while watching them. It takes up about 40 min of your day but gives you complete control of who's eating what. We tried locking up one of them in a room and he just ended up sitting there waiting for us to open the door again, so that technique doesn't work for everyone
This method also helped Pico lose 3 lbs, so now he's a healthy 15 lbs (big cat to begin with!).

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have closet shelves? I've found that Willow can jump up onto the shelf in the closet, which is probably 5.5 or 6 feet. If you have sliding doors on the closets, you may be able to use that to rig the pet door. Otherwise, I would look into meal feeding.