Tobie burned his paw.... vibes please!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Tobie stepped on the stove a few days ago while my husband was making eggs. He was fine for a few days, but today he is favoring his paw and it seems hot with some seepage from a few blisters.
My poor Tobie! I guess he learned his lesson.

I have an appointment at 5 pm today... please send vibes he'll be okay and back to normal for his next show!

This is Tobie:

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw poor little man - burns are so painful. Glad he's getting in to see the doctor. let us know how it goes.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww poor Tobie, it seems we are having a few kitties burning their tootsies !

heres lots of meg-healthy healing ((((((
vibes
)))))) for Tobie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!

For those of you who have had burned paws, what did the vet recommend for treatment? I'm expecting a bright purple bandage or something with some antiobiotics.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Well, Tobie stepped on the stove a few days ago while my husband was making eggs. He was fine for a few days, but today he is favoring his paw and it seems hot with some seepage from a few blisters.
My poor Tobie! I guess he learned his lesson.

I have an appointment at 5 pm today... please send vibes he'll be okay and back to normal for his next show!

This is Tobie:
ALOE VERA gel from the plant if you can....I just went thru this with my Precious, but she stepped on our woodstove....she lost the skin off 3 1/2 pads on one paw and one off the other....that was two weeks ago...aloe vera has helped mend her pretty quick.....sending lots of healing vibes....I feel for him. I know my poor precious is just starting to walk normally.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby!! Weeks, eh? Thanks for the tip. I have some pure aloe gel already that I've been mixing with Neosporin so far. I guess the wound will just have to run its course. His plantar pad is blistered pretty badly, and three of the little ones. My husband said he squeeled like a hyena when he stepped on the stove.
Okay, I shouldn't laugh... but Tobie has such a comical personality,I can just see the drama.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing with the neosporin - i'm not sure you want him licking that? I asked at the pharmacy and they said the creams and stuff for burns are for external use only, Precious won't stop licking her paws, aloe is not harmful (they love to attack my plant whenever they can reach it). The suggestions I got from here as well as from the vet were to get gauze and a baby sock. Tape it on, and change it regularly. Hope he gets better soon.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... that's a good thought. I'll check the ingredients. The antibiotics are okay for ingestion, but I'm not sure about the vehicles. Thanks for the suggestion! I only put it on once, so hopefully it will be okay.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The inactives are cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, olive oil, sodium pyruvate, vitamin E, and white petrolatum. Nothing too alarming according to MSDS info... and he only possibly had a little bit, so I'll mention it to the vet, but he isn't exhibiting any other symptoms that would cause alarm.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor wee thing. I hope he's feeling better soon, even little burns are so painful

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet wasn't worried about the Neosporin/aloe mix. That's a relief.

Poor Tobie has a huge bandage on his foot. They put him under anesthetic and debrided the burns. I'm going to have to do hyrdotherapy with silver sulfadiazine cream once every other day... he's also on an anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and opioid for the next week or so. Poor baby... he's going to hate me by the time this is over!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, naughty Tobie has found a way to take off the bandage. Any suggestions on how to make a new one stay on? They gave me some supplies to use in case it happened, but no tape. I'll have some surgical tape soon, but other than using that, does anyone know any tricks besides putting him in a carrier so he can't run it off?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh poor Tobie. Burns are so painful. No ideas about the bandage as I've not had that issue but sending you good luck vibes. I know the frustration though as I once spent the week in a room with Lucy because she wouldn't keep an e-collar on.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Tobie. I hope his paw heals soon. Did the vet shave the foot or part of the leg? That would have helped keep the bandage on. That's what they did to Jake when he had a catheter for IV fluids and feedings back in October. Not sure I'd try shaving it myself though.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Well, naughty Tobie has found a way to take off the bandage. Any suggestions on how to make a new one stay on? They gave me some supplies to use in case it happened, but no tape. I'll have some surgical tape soon, but other than using that, does anyone know any tricks besides putting him in a carrier so he can't run it off?
Sorry no suggestions here, just wanted to say glad to hear that everything will be ok.
I didn't end up putting a sock on Precious as I didn't think she would allow me to get it on, and its taken her this accident to become a cuddly affectionate kitty so I didn't want to alienate her. She is well on the mend. I check her paws regularly, every AM and PM. They are healing very nicely. The surgical tape would probably be your best bet. Although, making sure its tight enough to stay on but not too tight to cut the circulation....good luck and heal fast Tobie

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet use Vetrap??? Its stretchy, comes in lots of colors and while not sticky at all it sticky to itself (kind of rubbery). I get mine at a store that sells farm and home supplies. I have used it in the past on my cats-it works good for humans too!!