Barbaro was euthanized this morning....

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just reading that article
It's very sad that it had to come to this.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read about that when I re logged onto the internet. I hope his treatment helped advance care of these types of injuries.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been sooo upset all day over this
I actually watched it on live tv when it happened
It was heartbraking to hear of his passing today- but they sincerly did everything possible they coudld for him- at one point he had some 20+ pins in the leg that shattered....and then developed that condition (starts with an L i can't remember what it's called) in his other leg- that's what made them do the surgery recently- and things didn't go well
I am sooo sad over this.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right from the start I never imagined him making it. It's sad that he had to die for the sake of a race.....

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He made it much longer than I ever expected him to. In the past I always liked to watch the triple crown on TV, just to see the beautiful horses, but I can't really bring myself to anymore for this very reason. I guess I give them credit for trying when his survival was a longshot at best. Sadly, this happens daily across the country at racetracks, you just don't read about it.

He's running across the bridge now, no more broken bones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

He's running across the bridge now, no more broken bones.
And boy did he love to run.
And now he will run free and will not tire. Race on Barbaro.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was really hoping that he'd pull through. That horse was a fighter. A true champion on and off the track. It's too bad that it had to end this way. Rest In Peace Barbaro. You will be missed.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is so heart breaking. i know they did what they needed to but its crushing he has been through so much.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's sad but he certainly put up a fight for his life, and I commend his owners for trying to save him, they spent a FORTUNE.

My husband fed him when he was here for the Derby

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

It's sad but he certainly put up a fight for his life, and I commend his owners for trying to save him, they spent a FORTUNE.
Absolutely! Horse racing is big business and it is astonishing that his owners spent what must have been a huge amount of money trying to save a horse that would never race again - although if he was not gelded he still would have been worth a lot in stud fees I guess, had they been able to save him.

I find it very difficult to watch horse-racing - it can be so hazardous to both horses and jockeys. My dad and uncle both used to be jockeys and it is a horrendously badly paid job with hugely long hours and bad working conditions for all but the few who make it to the very top, and dangerous to boot.

RIP Barbaro, you were a beautiful creature.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I no longer watch horse racing. It was all over for me when Ruffian broke her leg coming around the first turn in the race with Foolish Pleasure.

Never again.

My two great loves, cats and horses....had them in New Hampshire, took them to shows with the kids, loved all.

This is so hearbreaking.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Absolutely! Horse racing is big business and it is astonishing that his owners spent what must have been a huge amount of money trying to save a horse that would never race again - although if he was not gelded he still would have been worth a lot in stud fees I guess, had they been able to save him.

I find it very difficult to watch horse-racing - it can be so hazardous to both horses and jockeys. My dad and uncle both used to be jockeys and it is a horrendously badly paid job with hugely long hours and bad working conditions for all but the few who make it to the very top, and dangerous to boot.

RIP Barbaro, you were a beautiful creature.
It is dangerous, one of our horses had to be put down after she broke down in a race it was SO SAD
The jockey was fine though he jumped off of her before she fell to the ground. It's so pitiful and it was about 5-6 years ago and it still makes me sick to my stomach, she was so SWEET.