Grooming long haired cats

tricias_petz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 longhaired cats, Kiara and Sasha. They are impossible to keep nicely groomed.. They always have mats under their chins and ears... blah!

What do you use to groom your cats? I have a rubber curry brush thing.. it works great, but not to get the mats out!

Have you ever used a Furminator?

Thanks!

Trish

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help but wanted to say your kitties in your sig are beautiful! My cat Alley had long hair but I only brushed her once a month or so (when she would let me, she didn't like the brush!) but she never got mats or tangles. I guess it was just the type of fur she had.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my two with their long fluffies, I use a shedding comb (alternating long and short teeth) for their coats and a groomers rake for long haired animals on their tails.

Nothing else has worked as well for us.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubber brush won't get out tangles. You need to get a medium and fine toothed comb for proper longhair grooming. And you have to groom almost every day to keep the tangles from forming.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three long haired kitties. I use a fine/wide tooth wire comb and a slicker brush that a groomer recommended. I comb mine every day or at least every other day to help cut down, if not eliminate, tangles. It also helps their skin and helps prevent hairballs. Kuce doesn't mat at all but Luvbug and Lil' Jag do.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a fine tooth comb and a soft bristle brush for fluffing. I have to comb pretty much daily and the spots you mentioned are the places they tend to get mats. So you just have to pay particular attention to them.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Rubber brush won't get out tangles. You need to get a medium and fine toothed comb for proper longhair grooming.
And you have to groom almost every day to keep the tangles from forming
With Persi, it is every day. If a day gets missed one day, then the next day is a real job. In addition to his regular daily grooming, I keep a comb on the couch we sit on at night to watch TV and when he joins us, I give him a few extra grooms since he does not mind.