Blacks specks but no actual fleas seen/sick kitty?

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor little kitten called Fraiser has some black specks in her fur. I feel a little crawly when she sits on me. I have not seen her scratching and I only feel a little itchy myself. I have not seen actually seen any fleas on her just the specks. I got her from a breeder who is on holiday right and out of contact. I don't know when she was last frontlined, but I do have some here, and would rather not imply her kitten has fleas. I called the vet and they said it was dangerous to frontline her without knowing the last date frontline was used. But this was before saw the actualy specks.

I am worried about her. If I must I will pick tweezers and I am currently using a fresh toothbrush to pick the eggs/specks. Is there anything else that can cause black specks? Kitten generally seems quite healthy but is more of a lapwarmer than I expected of a kitten.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way I just crush one of the black specks--it turned red so its pretty likely to be fleas. Should I frontline her? Can she have been frontlined and still get fleas? I don't want her to OD on it!

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please can't anyone help me? I am really worried about my kitten. Her fur is lackluster and dull looking. Her third eyelid is showing from the corner a little. When she meows sometimes we can't hear anything.

Please help me

Shall I post this somewhere else?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you don't know when the cat received her last treatment, then based on your vet's recommendation, I would not give her any Frontline.

If you really worried about her, it would be best to give the vet another call and explain all of her symptoms.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsup

Please can't anyone help me? I am really worried about my kitten. Her fur is lackluster and dull looking. Her third eyelid is showing from the corner a little. When she meows sometimes we can't hear anything.

Please help me

It sounds as though fleas are the least of your problem. If her third eyelid is showing that is a sign of illness. My best advice would be for you to get her to a vet as soon as you can. He/she will check the cat out, treat the flea problem and find out why her eyelid is showing.

Please try to get her to a vet soon. Don't use any over-the-counter flea medications as they can seriously harm and in some cases have killed kittens.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm not an expert, but if I were you, I'd bathe her. Kittens do better with bathing than adult cats. I don't know if you have Dawn dishwashing soap in the UK, but it is gentle and recommended for animals. Then I would comb her with a very fine comb.

It certainly sounds like what you are seeing is either flea dirt or flea eggs.

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is eating and using her litter box fine, she is also certainly going to the vet tomorrow. Last time she went to the litter box her poo was normal (yesterday she had runny poo). Her third eyelid also only slightly showing (maybe fatigue?) and does not have a depressed demeanor.

Only reason I was hesitating about the vet was in case she picked something up there (happened to my friend different vet), money is not the issue here. She is insured and I will pay for any and all vet treatment without hesitation. Rather not give her a bath right now...

Thanks for the help!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsup

Please help me

Edited to add:...sorry, you posted first. ..I'm slow.

I would suggest calling the vet again. Has she been grooming herself at all? She sounds like she's ill. It's a good possibility that the frontline worked, but that you're finding that flea dirt because she's not grooming - because she's ill. Please call the vet.

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its late here 9pm, we are going tomorrow.

Yes she is grooming.

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She ate dinner

No problem beandip

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has a fever of 103 and the vet put her on antibiotics

Contacted breeder she has not been defleaded or dewormed because breeder keeps all cats indoors. Vet will frontline her and deworm her next week.

On the plus side her weight was 1.2 and is now 1.3 kg! She is also still eating very well, pooing and peeing normal, and she is playing with her new mousey toy.

Can this thread be moved to nutrition worried about her fever.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Fraiser---I do hope she's feeling better. How old is she? I'm somewhat surprised a breeder wouldn't have at least wormed her. Did your vet say why her fever was elevated?

If I must I will pick tweezers and I am currently using a fresh toothbrush to pick the eggs/specks.
You might want to invest in a good flea comb; it will work a lot better on the fleas & their "dirt".

Best of luck with your girl; please keep us updated.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad the vet has seen her. I hope she is feeling better soon.

I'll move the thread for you

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope she makes a swift recovery, it's good that you got her to the vet. Stress such as that caused by going to a new home can make kittens far more susceptible to picking up infections than they would be usually. I am surprised she wasn't already wormed at least!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wonder about a breeder who would send out a kitten with fleas and no worm treatments!

I'm glad your kitty is feeling a bit better and that she was able to get some medicine from the vet. Please keep us posted.

What breed is she? Would love to see a picture!

catsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't frontline her or deworm her until her fever goes down, the vet said he would do both when we go back next week. She ate lunch and dinner easily today, I am very proud of her.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad your baby is on antibiotics now.
Did the vet think she had fleas? If she does, and since you can't frontline her, you can flea-comb her. You can take her in the bathroom (so they don't jump on rugs, etc), and backwards comb her fur with a flea comb. When you see a flea, pick it up either with your fingernails, or a tweezers. Make sure you crush the fleas completely. Also, if she does have fleas, most likely your home is becoming infested.

I have to agree that her breeder doesn't sound very good. Not only did she let a sick (possibly flea-infested) kitten go, she sent out a kitten that was way too small to be away from her momma! How old is she? What breed is she?

Please don't think we're criticizing you...not at all! I'm sure your baby has found and excellent home with you!

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also just drop any fleas into soapy water. They'll drown in about a half hour.