TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 67 year old woman lies about age to get fertility
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

67 year old woman lies about age to get fertility

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=2829527

What does everyone think about this? I think it's rather selfish of her.
post #2 of 15
I wonder how the clinic failed to note her age on her passport??
There are a couple of other issues that could be troubling, such as wanting to marry a younger man to help her raise the children (will she be equally happy w/o a husband); selling property to fund this (will she be capable of supporting the children independently? ). ON the other hand, she did sacrifice her life to care for her mother (seems to be a cultural thing - I had an aunt who did the same thing, once the father died, this aunt was expected to be the "maiden aunt" who remained in the home, working to support the mom and giving up dating and any prospect of marrying or going on her own); if she can do that and still have time in this life to find the happiness she seeks, then I wish her the best, if only for the sake of the babies. IMO, though, it is selfish all the way around; if she wanted to raise children, there were probably plenty of homeless or fosters that she could have taken in.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm not one to juge someone's situation but why did it take her over 40 years to look into child rearing options? She says that she's doing it when she knew it was the right time in her life, fine, but 67? 20 years earlier wasn't an option?

I just hope that she is able to be there for her kids. She says her mother lived to be older, hopefully she will too and hopefully she's physically and mentally able to care for the kids.
post #4 of 15
I heard about this on the news yesterday, that woman put her self and her babies lives in a heap of trouble. I think if she wanted to have children she should have done it years ago. What is gonna happen to those babies if this woman ups and dies in a couple of years.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSULOVER View Post
I heard about this on the news yesterday, that woman put her self and her babies lives in a heap of trouble. I think if she wanted to have children she should have done it years ago. What is gonna happen to those babies if this woman ups and dies in a couple of years.
I agree...i just think it's sort of strange. And those kids will be the ones to suffer if she passes away soon. I mean she waited a really long time. I dunno- i'd say, why not foster or adopt a child that REALLY needs a home...instead of lying about your age and taking advantage of our health system here in the US. I think something should be done to her fine or punsihment wise for lying about her age. People need to learn that they can't just come into this country and lie about their age and information to take advantage of our system.That system is in place to help people of an appropriate age who carry a lower risk of problems. There is an age cut off for the safety of the children as well as the mom. It just seems selfish of me for her to do that. I don't respect her at all for it.
post #6 of 15
This happened a several years ago, I think it was in Italy but I'm not sure. That woman was 62. I would think that clinics would have learned from that and be more careful. If someone is resourceful enough though they can get a genuine looking document with a different birth date on it.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I agree...i just think it's sort of strange. And those kids will be the ones to suffer if she passes away soon. I mean she waited a really long time. I dunno- i'd say, why not foster or adopt a child that REALLY needs a home...instead of lying about your age and taking advantage of our health system here in the US. I think something should be done to her fine or punsihment wise for lying about her age. People need to learn that they can't just come into this country and lie about their age and information to take advantage of our system.That system is in place to help people of an appropriate age who carry a lower risk of problems. There is an age cut off for the safety of the children as well as the mom. It just seems selfish of me for her to do that. I don't respect her at all for it.

Yeah, I agree with you. But sadly nothing will probably be done to punish her, and those babies will end up suffering because of it.
post #8 of 15
I am horrified by this. Horrified. This womans selfish whim to have a child has been allowed to outweigh the emotional, and perhaps physical, well being of this child. When they are 5, and need a walk to their first day of school, its questionable if mid-70s mom will be up to the task. When they are 10, and fall off their bikes, 80 yr old mom wont be there to help. When they are 17 and graduating from highschool, mom will almost surely be dead. Imagine if she gets dementia? The thought of a 14 yr old trying to "help" their 85 yr old demented mother is so horrid its unimaginable...
It is morally wrong to allow a 67 year old woman to mother a child. That is MO, but I would like to hear any reasonable arguments from smoene who feels differently.
post #9 of 15
So, she lived for almost seven decades, sold her house, had twins, and is now looking for a husband... talk about doing things backwards!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
So, she lived for almost seven decades, sold her house, had twins, and is now looking for a husband... talk about doing things backwards!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch



I dont think this woman was prepared to have children...ever. I mean what kind of woman wants that sort of life for her children?

Maybe she just wanted someone to take care of her when she got older, just like she did for her mother?
post #11 of 15
My problem is the potential danger she put herself and unborn child in when she lied to become pregnant in the first place. There are extra precautions that need to be taken by woman who go through a pregnancy later in their life to ensure the health of themselves and their baby. Lying is not the way to go about getting proper care, especially when it involved the life of a child!
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
My problem is the potential danger she put herself and unborn child in when she lied to become pregnant in the first place. There are extra precautions that need to be taken by woman who go through a pregnancy later in their life to ensure the health of themselves and their baby. Lying is not the way to go about getting proper care, especially when it involved the life of a child!
I think it's completely selfish.

And what happens to the kids if the mother has to be put in assited living? Can you imagine a 10-year old being responsible for helping his mother get around, remember medications, and deal with healthcare needs? Will this child ever get to have a normal childhood? In a lot of ways I disagree with this new trend of putting marriage and childbearing off in order to "establish" oneself. It made sense that people would want to wait into their 30's, and even into their 40's isn't SUCH a huge deal, but this is getting out of hand. As I get older, I'm beginning to realize that it's not possible to have it both ways. My grandparents were all younger than 67 when I was born!

Rescuing an elderly animal would have been appropriate and would've given this woman something to take care of, if that's what she's looking for.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa View Post
I am horrified by this. Horrified....It is morally wrong to allow a 67 year old woman to mother a child. That is MO, but I would like to hear any reasonable arguments from smoene who feels differently.
I'll step up to the plate here. We don't know what kind of mother she will be. There are thousands of children born each day whose parents we know will not be able to take care of them... heroin/crack/meth-addicted mothers are the first to come to mind. Children in Africa are another example (through no fault of the parents). There are parents, too, who are model citizens, but behind closed doors, they abuse their children. There are young mothers who are great, and some who are lousy, and the same goes for any age. My point is, we don't know that she will be a bad mother because she is old.

As for age, who decided the 55-year cut off? A group of people on a committee? Fifty-five seems kind of old to me already. If a healthy, fit, financially stable woman of 56 wanted to have a baby, I guess she would be turned away. Lying is not good, I agree, but if a group of people picked an arbitrary age deadline, and I felt it unfair, I would try to get around it, too.

Even if it is "wrong" for her to do what she did, who should have stopped her? Who would we designate to have that kind of power?

Is it unusual to do what she did? Yes! Would you or I do it? No! Wil she be able to take care of them? Who knows. It's strange, weird, and unconventional, but if she plans to love and take care of her children, IMO, there's nothing morally wrong.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
I'll step up to the plate here. We don't know what kind of mother she will be. There are thousands of children born each day whose parents we know will not be able to take care of them... heroin/crack/meth-addicted mothers are the first to come to mind. Children in Africa are another example (through no fault of the parents). There are parents, too, who are model citizens, but behind closed doors, they abuse their children. There are young mothers who are great, and some who are lousy, and the same goes for any age. My point is, we don't know that she will be a bad mother because she is old.

As for age, who decided the 55-year cut off? A group of people on a committee? Fifty-five seems kind of old to me already. If a healthy, fit, financially stable woman of 56 wanted to have a baby, I guess she would be turned away. Lying is not good, I agree, but if a group of people picked an arbitrary age deadline, and I felt it unfair, I would try to get around it, too.

Even if it is "wrong" for her to do what she did, who should have stopped her? Who would we designate to have that kind of power?

Is it unusual to do what she did? Yes! Would you or I do it? No! Wil she be able to take care of them? Who knows. It's strange, weird, and unconventional, but if she plans to love and take care of her children, IMO, there's nothing morally wrong.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I completely agree with this!

I can sort of identify in a weird way....many many people disapproved of me getting pregnant when I was 15 and having my son at the age of 16. I am a very good parent but some people just dismiss that as a possibility because of my age.
post #15 of 15

that is awesome (boo for lying though)!
the fact that she wanted the c-section scar low so she could show off her belly is to funny. I think lying is no-no since she could have really harmed herself and the babies but your never to old to start over or start a family.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 67 year old woman lies about age to get fertility