Is it okay to feed Greenies?

zhazha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that there were some issues with the Greenies for dogs a few months back.

ZhaZha is the first cat my husband and I have ever owned --- trying to make sure we do things correctly.

Thanks!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is. Basically those issues were from silly owners thinking that a Chiuahua could eat a greenie 4x its size.

They make the greenies for cats the proper size (one size). Just feed them one a day and you'll be fine.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I actually saw these in Pets at Home on Saturday, for dogs though not cats. But I'm not sure what they are either

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

ummm..............whats a greenie ??

it kinda something a bit disgusting in the UK
It's a brand of treat that is supposed to clean the teeth and breath. Ivo loves them and has never had a problem with them.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried giving them to my girls. They like their pounce and other little treats I give them.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

ummm..............whats a greenie ??

it kinda something a bit disgusting in the UK
Well now I'm curious...what does it mean in the UK?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped feeding them to my cats after I heard that scary stuff but I guess its ok afterall?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I stopped feeding them to my cats after I heard that scary stuff but I guess its ok afterall?
same here- none of my furbabies get them just to be safe (dogs included). but i have heard that they did announce them to be safe for now. but for me i'll stick to temptaion treats for my girls becuase i already know they like those

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Greenies and Temptations both - the kitties like both equally well, but I have to tell you, Bijou's breath isn't any sweeter from eating them.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only issues with greenies have been with animals that don't chew them.
Dogs are notorious food gulpers!
Both are ok IMO, just make sure they're being chewed.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also- just a side note- but if ya'll are looking to refresh your kitties breath- the best way to do so is to get them used to regular tooth brushings.
They make little toothbrush slip ons that you can put on your finger and they also make toothpaste that is safe for animals. It is better for their overall dental health to get them accustomed to regular brushing- and it also prevents serious health and dental problems down the road when you brush their teeth properly.
Dental hygeine is just as important as brushing fur and yearly vet visits.
If you have a kitty that is hard to hold down and brush its teeth- wrap them (swaddle them with only their head poking out) from a blanket and hold tightly (but not too tight) with one arm while you brush with the other hand
Also- a vet can show you for free- the proper way to clean their teeth the next time you visit if there is a question.