Charlie's First Show (CFA)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll update more with pictures tomorrow, so just a quick run down. Charlie was great at the shows - loved it, loved the attention. Handled well in the rings. HATED the car riding - would not shut up on Saturday. Sunday at least he slept a bit more in riding.

He got a 6th Best Kitten Speciality on Saturday and a 6th Best Kitten Allbreed on Sunday
We had about 28 LH kittens/28 SH kittens. Will add more pictures tomorrow - too late tonite to download, etc.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent Results!!!!
Brilliant first show for him!
Was it a 6 ring 450 show count???

Give Charlie a kiss for me!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you and Charlie. I was thinking about you this weekend and sending mental good luck wishes.

Congratulations!!

Tricia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is for you Nial:

We lost count on how many times people would come in (we were near the end of the row) and said/asked: "ohhhhhhhhhh is that one of the bengals?"....nooooooooo its an Ocicat. So then we had to tell them the difference between the two breeds - thanks to you I knew a bit more on how to tell the difference.

On Sunday I put up a few pics of Charlie with a sign "I'm an Ocicat - I only look wild!"...but we still had to explain the difference at times.

Was surprised at how many people told us they had a bengal at home in our area. I did mentioned to a few about checking out your website if they wanted to see some great looking bengals. You might wind up with some of your babies in Minnesota

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

This is for you Nial:

We lost count on how many times people would come in (we were near the end of the row) and said/asked: "ohhhhhhhhhh is that one of the bengals?"....nooooooooo its an Ocicat. So then we had to tell them the difference between the two breeds - thanks to you I knew a bit more on how to tell the difference.

On Sunday I put up a few pics of Charlie with a sign "I'm an Ocicat - I only look wild!"...but we still had to explain the difference at times.

Was surprised at how many people told us they had a bengal at home in our area. I did mentioned to a few about checking out your website if they wanted to see some great looking bengals. You might wind up with some of your babies in Minnesota
Aha! So it isn't just me that had trouble telling an Ocicat from a Bengal! Phew, that makes me feel a little better.

Now what is this nonsense that Charlie placed 6th?

I certainly hope you gave those judges their certificates for eye examinations!

Well - Congratulations anyway, even if those lame judges didn't recognize how handsome Charlie is!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to remember - this is his first show and its mid campaign. I was happy he got a few finals - didn't expect anything - that way its cooler if he gets something - they had some very nice kitten competion. Only thing I was sad about was 3 nice looking aby kittens didn't get ANY finals!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Have to remember - this is his first show and its mid campaign. I was happy he got a few finals - didn't expect anything - that way its cooler if he gets something - they had some very nice kitten competion. Only thing I was sad about was 3 nice looking aby kittens didn't get ANY finals!
All joking aside, I'm proud of Charlie and I don't even really know him or you. I think it's wonderful that he had such an excellent first showing. It is too bad the aby kittens didn't get anything - they are also very beautiful cats. My husband wanted to get an Aby some years ago. He still really likes their looks.

Congratulations again on Charlie's showing and many good vibes for future successful showings. He's a handsome boy.

I also loved the silver tabby photo. I have a real soft spot for the silver cats, (ocicat or bengal
).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lemme explain something really quickly! 6th out of 58 means he defeated 51 cats - and seriously, that's NOT easy! So, a great 1st showing for Charlie!!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is for you Nial:

Alright, so since you posted this.....I'll confess. I overheard at least 3 seperate un-informed spectators at this last show having this muted, whispered conversation when bengals were being judged:
Spouse1: OMG, look at that cat...gorgeous, it looks like a leopard.
Spouse2: Yes, amazing...isn't that an Ocicat?
Spouse1: Yeah, that's what it is, I couldn't think of the name.
Spouse2: Those are those cats that are from the wild ocelots. They are so well behaved here and much smaller than I thought they'd be.

I only had a chance to correct one couple. The other 2 are still probably blissfully confused. It's OK though, they were impressed.

Thanks for the referals!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial,

I think we both have to put up a comparison of the 2 breeds with pictures (you can borrow Charlie pictures; I'll borrow Jack, etc. pictures) and sit on the top of the cages.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nancy just sent me (email) the show results/points. He got 57 points out of the 2 wins - and was 13th best kitten in show
Not bad

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reddi - I suppose you're gonna blame your kitties for being busy and not reading threads??????

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nancy just sent me (email) the show results/points. He got 57 points out of the 2 wins - and was 13th best kitten in show
Not bad
That's very good for a first show.
I don't how the CFA judges are, but the TICA judges seem to favor the older (seasoned) kittens over the young first show kittens.
I'm sure some of that has to do with development, but sometimes it seems as if the judges want these kittens to "pay their dues" first, even when the young kitten is clearly better than the older ones.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that too - usually older kittens do get better finals - after all they are closer to being the adults and fit the standard closer. Four months is basically getting them used to being handled, show ring practice and to see if they will even ENJOY the shows!

My males loved it, females hated it - and both were started as 4 month old kittens so I have no clue. I do know that its much better to get any cat out early as a baby. We showed Ling when she was a little over a year - she hated it. But then again, she was "another" female! I have no luck with showing girls. Took me forever to grand my 3 females and one didn't grand in ACFA till she was spayed!

The boys? Spooky as a grand in two associations by the time he was a year old
. My concern is that there is not enough shows around to keep Charlie used to things and that he might not like the shows so far apart. Will see, if I can grand him in at least CFA as a premier, I'll be happy. Depends on him
If he doesn't want to go, that's fine too - after all, we originally got him for a pet anyway, so its not like I'll be disappointed compared to buying him for a show cat and not being able to show him

His mom is already a DM in CFA, not sure how close his father is to being DM (males need 15 grand offspring; females only 5).