Help Introducing a cat

kittymommy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old Zoe that we have had for about a month now. We decided to get another 6 month old kitten just like Zoe her name is Halle. Well we are not sure what to do. Zoe is acting very teritorial (sp?) hissing and batting Halle on the head. Halle just ignores her, Zoe will back her into a corner and hiss and growl. When we pick her up she hisses and growls at us. Any ideas on what to do?

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just read all the stickys on here and there is LOTS of good information. We actually just today brought home a 4 month old as a hopefully future companion for our 3 month old... its funny actually because Malcolm, the cat we had first, hasn't been very territorial at ALL - it seems like Bailey is more worried about Malcolm, but I am guessing this is because she is BRAND new to all her surroundings.

Anyways, try separating the two and using the suggestions that they have here - introduce them slowly, keep them separated, maybe try the vanilla essence trick or something, or just make them trade smells.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymommy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, my resident kitty Zoe continued hissing, spitting and batting at Halle, which she just ignored all night, so we took Zoe to our bedroom so Halle could get used to her new surroundings, well she found her way to the bedroom door (we took Zoe's bowl and little box in our bathroom and had separate ones for Halle downstairs) meowing. So my hubby decided to go downstairs and sleep on the couch since she wanted to be around us and I'm staying in the bedroom with the resident. Tomorrow night I will supervise them since I work at home. And if they still dont get along tomorrow day we will switch and Ill go downstairs with Zoe and sleep and he will bring Halle up stairs so then they get used to eachothers smells. And just increase it as the week goes on. Hopefully by the end of the week all will be well. Ill keep you all updated.

kittymommy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the night went ok, halle slept downstairs and was very happy and chipper this am. I let Zoe out and she was ok for aobut 30 seconds then pounced and batted at Halle. Halle is scared to death and just curls up and does nothing when Zoe does this. My hubby is going to get a baby gate today after work I hope this will work, it breaks my heart to see Zoe being like this. I guess I will let them be together a little this am and if it gets too bad I will separate them again. How long did it take anyone else in this situation for the resident cat to be civil to a new commer?

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm now I am all wondering, because our resident cat Malcolm, who is 3 months is so indifferent to the knew addition of Bailey 4 months. Malcolm is calm and collective, and follows Bailey around but gets all aggressive and hisses at our resident cat. We hav emade our bedroom the 'safe room' for the new addition and she seems to like it in there, and doesn't mind anything. But from all I read it seems like the resident cat would be the agressor, but thats not the case with ours. We have socialized our resident cat tremondously well and we are wondering if thats the reason???

Sorry not taking over the thread, lol just wondering if anyone has any insight to either one of our issues?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try keeping the new cutie in a bathroom and only allowing them a little inter action at a time. And get some vanilla extract and rub a little on each cat (base of the tail, under chins etc)so they smell the same.

kittymommy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did get some vanilla I think it did good. Well we got 2 baby gates today since none of them were tall enough. Halle is in my office as a "safe room" I took socks and rubbed one on Halle and one on Zoe and gave them to the other, Zoe was ok with it. This afternoon, Zoe came upstairs and hissed one time and the meowed thru the gate at Halle, otherwise its been a quiet day. We have each its own blankets and we will switch them tomorrow and the have their food bowls near eachother on both sides of the wall and im feeding them at the same time. So I think its going to take some time but she'll get used to it.

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah everywhere I read it says it could take easily a full week if not longer to get the two used to one another so just keep being patient and I am sure it will come. Your resident cat is just asserting that this is HER territory, that is all, and your new cat just needs to get used to the environment. Sounds like you are doing all the right things though.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denrin

Hmm now I am all wondering, because our resident cat Malcolm, who is 3 months is so indifferent to the knew addition of Bailey 4 months. Malcolm is calm and collective, and follows Bailey around but gets all aggressive and hisses at our resident cat. We hav emade our bedroom the 'safe room' for the new addition and she seems to like it in there, and doesn't mind anything.
But from all I read it seems like the resident cat would be the agressor
, but thats not the case with ours. We have socialized our resident cat tremondously well and we are wondering if thats the reason???

Sorry not taking over the thread, lol just wondering if anyone has any insight to either one of our issues?
That is certainly what I thought, too. But Persi, the resident and the male, wanted to greet Alley with open arms. And after much perserverence, he finally won out and he would not take no (or a hiss, or a scratch) for an answer.

kittymommy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far so good. Zoe is cooing and meowing at the door and they play paws alot under the door. Today I let Zoe in while I cleaned Tuxies littler box. She went up to her and sniffed her and cooed and her, Tuxie cooed back. They did have a little tuff, but theres no meowing, growling hissing, spitting or tail tuffing no fur flying or blood. They just roll around. Im thinnking they are play fighting trying to see who is gong to be the dominate one. What do y'all think?

kittymommy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today was a mile stone. I kept the new kitty in her safe room till about 4pm. Then I let her out, they play fought off an on all night, ate together and had treats together... so far so good! Here's how today ended to my amazement!
First this..
Then this....
Now This...Awwww...

denrin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww I will admit I am very jealous but also very glad for you! Sounds like you have got two loving cats that are bonding so well! What a beautiful sight it must be to see the two of them together like that after worrying about whether or not they will get along.