Good diet Cat food?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of you know Duke my kitty is a little overweight. He is officially 24lbs.
He has been big for quite a while. My mom raised him from a kitten and the vet took him off kitten food at 6 months because he was already at adult weight. At a year and a half Duke was put on Feline R/D which is a high moisture wet food. Duke lost his little kitty will to live he was listless, wouldn't even get up to eat, he became dehidrated from his lack of energy (not enough enery to get up and drink) I almost lost him because of that food (The vet prescribed it for him).

Since then I have had him on an all dry food diet, an all wet food diet, a high protine diet, a low protine diet... basically everything I can think of.

I have recently become concerned about a renial problem as Duke tends to voide large amounts of fluid. I am affraid that if Duke dosn't loose weight I will lose him due to developing health problems.

Has anyone had any success with a cat diet that I have not tried? Please give my suggestions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dumb question but can you list what has been tried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Since then I have had him on an all dry food diet, an all wet food diet, a high protine diet, a low protine diet... basically everything I can think of.
The brands are:
Feline RD wet
Nurtiance dry
Preformatrin wet and Dry
Eukenuba Vetranary Diet dry
Homemade wet food
Nutro dry
Blue Spa wet and Dry
Authority Adult Lite Dry
Royal Canin Indoor Light 37 dry

I live in Canada so some brands are not available but I can try to order them online if it might help

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, the only thing we had luck on with Scully was Evo, he will avoid wet food (sometimes he will scoff it all sometimes it stays there and dries up)... the vet had him on various foods.

We started him on Chicken Soup and had a little luck with that, but Bumper throws up on it, so we tried Holistic Blend and he lost weight, but Boomer LOVED it and gained weight. So we switched to Evo and he has been steadily losing weight.

We also have regular play time (fetch and 'squirrells') for 1/2 hour every night

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The brands are:
Feline RD wet
Nurtiance dry
Preformatrin wet and Dry
Eukenuba Vetranary Diet dry
Homemade wet food
Nutro dry
Blue Spa wet and Dry
Authority Adult Lite Dry
Royal Canin Indoor Light 37 dry
I live in Canada so some brands are not available but I can try to order them online if it might help
From what I see you have done mainly moderate protein( 30-38%) and moderate to low fat ...

EVO and Natures Variety Raw instict come to mind ....

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

From what I see you have done mainly moderate protein( 30-38%) and moderate to low fat ...

EVO and Natures Variety Raw instict come to mind ....
The only one of those brands I can get is possibly EVO but I have to drive 2hours to a store that carries it. Oh Wait there is a store here about 1 hour away that carries Innova - EVO Cat & Kitten 5½ oz wet food for $1.55 / can AND Innova - Lite (Cat) 6½ lbs for $21.00 / bag

I think it is worth it if it will help duke loose weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the regular the light % of fat is = to many other reg foods ...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, I know its crap, but a few years ago I had 2 brothers that were extremely pudgy little monkeys, so I put them on Science Diet Light- boy did they lose weight! after 2 bags I had to take them off, they lost all the weight I needed them too, I like to keep my kitties a little on the plump side, helps if they get ill, don't know if you'd want to try it, but SD worked for me in that case

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

well, I know its crap, but a few years ago I had 2 brothers that were extremely pudgy little monkeys, so I put them on Science Diet Light- boy did they lose weight! after 2 bags I had to take them off, they lost all the weight I needed them too, I like to keep my kitties a little on the plump side, helps if they get ill, don't know if you'd want to try it, but SD worked for me in that case
Hummm I have a theory but will keep my mouth shut

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since cats are obligate carnivores, something high protein (like EVO) and low carb would likely be best. If he'll eat it, you may want to look at ordering it online from places like Pet Food Direct to save you long car rides.
You will need to monitor how much you feed him--if you can get a baby scale to help keep track of his weight changes, that would be helpful too. You do not want him to lose weight rapidly, or he could get hepatic lipidosis. Also, has he been checked for diabetes and hypothyroidism? Hypothyroidism is very rare in cats, but it is still a possibility. Since you said he voids a lot of water, I would definitely monitor him for diabetes.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the problem is Duke is 24 lbs and inactive Sibohan is about 11 lbs and quite active. I have to find somthing that Duke will eat and she will too, I will give them seperate wet foods. Since I live in a 1 bedroom apartment it is too restrictive and alltogether cruel to seperate them all days so they won't eat eachothers dry food so they have to have the same dry food. (or even a mixed dry food)

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had him checked for diabeties last time I was at the vet (6 months ago) they said everything was fine.... could I just be a worry wart meowmy? IS he just a big cat and I shouldn't worry about it like my dad says?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I had him checked for diabeties last time I was at the vet (6 months ago) they said everything was fine.... could I just be a worry wart meowmy? IS he just a big cat and I shouldn't worry about it like my dad says?
If the vet didnt mention he is heavy then I would tend to say you MIGHT be overreacting but that is what MOMs are for

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well then try high protein and fat for a bit and see ..

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you leaving out dry all the time? That could be part of the problem. Some cats are really good at self-regulating, while others will eat as long as there is food available. You may need to either switch to meal-feeding (feeding them set amounts at certain times of the day and then removing the food) or feel Sibohan in a place that Duke can't get to the food. I've found that while Willow, my 8 pound cat, will only eat what she needs, Odo will eat for a while, walk away for a few minutes, and then return to the food bowl. If I leave a full bowl out all the time, he'll be eating every five minutes for the entire day. Instead, I leave a bowl of food for Willow on top of my dresser. She can jump up there, but Odo can't. Odo gets fed shortly after I wake up, and as soon as I get home from work.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea, Duke is not as agile as Sibohan but he's quite inventive I will have to find a real safe place for Sibohan to eat and for Duke not to be able to get to. It may not be a plesant experiance (Duke is a whiner when there is no food) Although I only feed him the suggested minimum dry food level to loose weight I am going to have to give this a little more deep thought to make food less accessable for Duke.

Thanks guys!