Question about cat with FUS and food(s) to feed.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat, Kitty, was diagnosed with FUS about 5-6yrs. ago, and was put on Science Diet C/D (dry) for it. Since this time, he has had to have I think 3-4 teeth removed. He's now 13, and seems to be having a hard time eating his dry food now. He's also the kind of cat that likes to eat a little food, leave it, come back later, eat some more, etc.
The reason I'm mentioning this is because we have 2 other, younger cats that try to eat Kitty's food when he doesn't finish it, so we're constantly having to put it away while the 2 younger cats are out.

So I'm thinking that maybe if we switch him to an all wet, or mostly wet food diet, he might be able to eat the food easier, and may even finish it faster. We've given him wet food as a treat before, and he ate it, so I don't think he'll turn his nose up to it.

The only problem is that since he is on the C/D, I'm thinking the only wet food he should have is the wet version of the C/D, which I can only get at the vet, or with a vet's perscription somewhere else (which my vet of 15 years won't give us, don't ask, we're planning on switching sometime soon
).

So I guess my question is, is there any other brand of wet/dry food that can be fed to cats with FUS? Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes but you need to discuss the % ages with your vet ... if you need so opening questions I will happily help

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another alternative for FLUTD/FUS is Royal Canin/Waltham's Urinary SO, but you'll have to confirm with your vet that this food can be given to your kitty. FLUTD/FUS is a pretty broad term used for many types of urinary tract-related conditions, so be sure to ask your vet what type of condition your kitty has. RC Urinary SO is indicated for the prevention/management of struvite, calcium oxalate and brushate uroliths (crystals), and aids in the management of idiopathic cystitis.

My cat Pico had a MAJOR food aversion to Hill's C/D after his bout of struvite crystalluria and we have since switched him over to SO. He's been on a mix of 50/50 wet/dry for 5 months now and really enjoys it. The canned SO is more of a "gel-ed" wet food compared to the mushy C/D. Although I'm NOT a fan of by-products in cat food (meat and chicken by-products are the main components in the canned SO), we have no other RX alternatives other than C/D in Canada.
Most importantly, Pico has had a clean urinalysis and our vet isn't majorly concerned with his condition right now provided he doesn't have any recurring symptoms. So far so good!

Although RX foods do require a prescription, I have successfully purchased the RX food from another vet (closer to home compared to our regular vet), and they didn't ask for proof of his condition. Basically, if you talk the talk then some clinics may not request a prescription from the referring vet. Obviously, if asked for it, then you have to call your regular vet for a referral prescription. The premise for this requirement is that most of the conditions that require an RX food also require regular monitoring and checkups by a veterinarian.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes but you need to discuss the % ages with your vet ... if you need so opening questions I will happily help
Percentages of what? Certain ingredients?

Kitty hasn't had any flare ups from when we've fed him wet food from time to time (I believe we just gave him some Eukanuba), but we haven't had a urinalysis done on him in awhile, since we haven't had any reason to.

Where can you get the Royal Canin/Waltham's Urinary SO?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Waltham RC SO is an RX vet only food

% ages of fat protein magnesium calcium phosphorus

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Waltham RC SO is an RX vet only food

% ages of fat protein magnesium calcium phosphorus
Ok, gotcha!

Well, I just went online and checked the percentages of the C/D:

Fat: 13% min.
Protein: 30% min.
Calcium: .50% min.
Magnesium: 0.080% max.
Phosphorus: .40% min.

Any wet foods that compare to that?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kady05

Ok, gotcha!

Well, I just went online and checked the percentages of the C/D:

Fat: 13% min.
Protein: 30% min.
Calcium: .50% min.
Magnesium: 0.080% max.
Phosphorus: .40% min.

Any wet foods that compare to that?
off the top of my head no ... but that doesnt mean there arent cause I have put together a list for others..lol..

I am guessing that is a dry food your reading?? or is that the dry matter % for the wet food??

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to hijack this thread but, yes, that is the dry food reading. My Eric has been on dry c/d for six years and I'd love to find a wet food he can eat. I tried the wet c/d chicken flavor. He ate a bit of it the first night and later vomited. I waited a few days to try again and at that time he ate a bite or two and refused the rest. No vomiting that time. I can't say I blame him. The stuff doesn't even look good.

Since I started the other cats on wet food he tries to sample what the others get at the evening meal so I have to watch him and remove him from their bowls. I guess I'll have to start feeding him his c/d early so he won't be so hungry when the others eat.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking if you use Carpon, you don't need an rx food. Is that right Sharky? Aren't those foods designed to create and acidic condition so that the crystals dissolve (struvite)?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
too my knowledge Carpon is OTC... I am too tired for the other question

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that the Hills c/d and Waltham SO are, in fact, designed to create an acidic condition in the urine but they don't actually dissolve the struvite crystals. At least the c/d does not do that- the Hills s/d is the one that dissolves the crystals. That was the first food Eric was put on after his bout with crystals. When his urine pH reached the appropriate level he was switched to the c/d.

I've been reading the posts about Carpon and have some on order. I don't want to take Eric off the c/d entirely until I know for sure that the Carpon is working. I do not need another round of crystals and blockage. It will take some experimenting and a couple of urinalysis but I hope to at least reduce the amount of c/d he eats as it is not a great food except for its usefulness as an RX food.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want to be careful of creating too much acidity, because than you can develop the other crystals. Dr. Belfield explains this on his website. I would not feed the acidic food and give the carpon at the same time. The carpon prevents crystals from forming and dissolves any that are there because it creates and acidic urine, and does it with natural ingredients. I think the food and carpon do the same thing, and using both might create another problem.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm. The Carpon stuff sounds interesting.. too bad Kitty is terrible with pills. He's already picky enough with his food, he'll just eat around them if we put them in there, or if we crush them, won't eat at all.. and I don't want to be chasing him around the house to shove a pill down his throat everyday

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

You want to be careful of creating too much acidity, because than you can develop the other crystals. Dr. Belfield explains this on his website. I would not feed the acidic food and give the carpon at the same time. The carpon prevents crystals from forming and dissolves any that are there because it creates and acidic urine, and does it with natural ingredients. I think the food and carpon do the same thing, and using both might create another problem.
Thank you for your concern. Yes, I know about the oxalite crystal problem. I don't need that either. I'll probably start with limiting the c/d, letting him have some wet food and giving one Carpon a day, check his pH and go from there. I want to find some urine test strips as I know I can get a sample from him if I catch him in the litter box at the right time. My objective is to get him off the c/d entirely and feed him high quality foods.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

My understanding is that the Hills c/d and Waltham SO are, in fact, designed to create an acidic condition in the urine but they don't actually dissolve the struvite crystals. At least the c/d does not do that- the Hills s/d is the one that dissolves the crystals. That was the first food Eric was put on after his bout with crystals. When his urine pH reached the appropriate level he was switched to the c/d.
Waltham's SO is actually indicated for the dissolution and prevention of struvite crystals. By keeping urinary pH in the proper range (6.2-6.4, if I recall correctly), crystals will not form based on the chemistry of crystal formation in the bladder. The technology behind the Waltham's food is that it maintains the appropriate "relative supersaturation" factors in urine to prevent the formation of calcium oxalate and struvite crystals. We started it as a maintenance food after 6 weeks on S/D, so I'm fairly certain that it's not an acidifying diet. I totally agree with you about giving Hill's S/D after a major struvite episode. It's wonderful stuff.

Here is a link to a previous thread where I went into a bit more detail about the technology of Waltham's SO:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111428