Does my Cat want out ?

jazzamataz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My previous neighbor rescued cats. Upon moving in this friendly vocal cat kept showing up anytime we came out. She'd hop up on the garbage container and meow for attention. When my neighbor moved she said we could keep this cat, who had been an outdoor cat for 5 years.

Since that time, approx. a year we've had her indoors. Theres been times when I've had the door open and she doesn't seem to want to go outside. Others, I've taken her outside and she acted scared and hid under my chair so I put her back inside.

Except sometimes when I'm sitting down on the computer she'll hop up onto the window and give this sad sounding meow while staring at me. At first I thought she might want to get down but when I pick her up she gives this annoyed Meow which I interpret "put me back" and she likes to sit there staring out the window.

She's been declawed on the front, and having been outdoors for 5 years previously I don't see the harm in letting her out although my girlfriend is dead set against it.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She cannot go out being declawed, she just can't.. except with you, wearing a 4-point harness & leash. The harness is one with two 'collars' - one around her neck, and the other behind her front legs (neck collars alone are dangerous for cats, even if they sell them!). She's probably meowing about a bird she saw, or another cat, etc., but from everything you've said, doesn't actually want to go out. However, if you wanted to, get her used to wearing the harness alone for short times indoors every day for a while, then attach the leash (there's usually a ring on them) and take her just in front at a quiet time and see if she's interested in going anywhere.. always let her lead, but remember once you commit to it, and if her interest if again peaked, you may be asking for a long term daily 'job', so think carefully. Personally, I'd be so happy she didn't really want 'out' that I wouldn't push the issue. Instead, play with her, and some toys and, if the case is really one where you are feeling like a walk (or whatever), don't project it onto her :-). Have you considered getting her a friend to play with - another cat? An older male (believe it or not) would be a good balance, as he'd respect her being #1 cat, though I can't say they'd end up as friends, but younger males may eventually try to dominate (I've seen that a lot at home) and other females can be 'threats' to her queendom.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wouldnt let her out either, especially if she's declawed. It's good that she doesnt try to get out. I think she's probably just asking for attention or something.. my ats do it all the time

tricias_petz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never let her out unless you want her outside all of the time. My mom made the mistake of letting my guys out.. now they are indoor/outdoors cats.

Especially since she is declawed.. she has little protection now..

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazzamataz

She's been declawed on the front, and having been outdoors for 5 years previously I don't see the harm in letting her out although my girlfriend is dead set against it.
Listen to your girlfriend. When was she declawed?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others.
If she's declawed you can't let her outside.
Maybe try to get her used to a harness and take her out for walks if she really seems to want to go outside.

But under no circumstances let her go out and roam around.
If another cat or any animal would attack her, she'd have no way to defend herself.