Is anyone switching over to Windows Vista?

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It rolls out this coming week. I'm in the market for a new PC so I'm going to get it. My damnDell is getting ready to crash again. Has already had hard drive replaced once and now it's doing everything imaginable, including rebooting itself in the middle of the night. What a pain it has been! And I'm also getting high speed internet -- finally!
That means I will be reading and responding to more posts!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the difference with Windows Vista? And sorry your Dell is acting crazy; that reminds me that I need to get my speakers (or I think it's the CD drive) fixed... at least they have good customer service, especially if you have the warranty.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wont be as too much software isn't ready for it and I don't really want to pay for a new version of photoshop to upgrade.

Plus windows is too buggy to upgrade when things first come out, I am going to wait until I get a new computer, probably later this year.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah they always say the early versions of a new Windows OP is buggy. It's always best to wait for the 2nd version. I would imagine the best way to get it, would be to buy a new computer, but I'd wait until end of this year or next year.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will be waiting to ensure all the bugs are out
... Two computer guys suggested waiting..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

What's the difference with Windows Vista? And sorry your Dell is acting crazy; that reminds me that I need to get my speakers (or I think it's the CD drive) fixed... at least they have good customer service, especially if you have the warranty.
It's a new operating system. I will get it only because it will be a new PC. Upgrades scare me.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new computer arriving tomorrow. I did lots and lots of research and asked lots and lots of people who know about computers about what I should get in the way of components and operating system.

I was told to stay away from Vista for now because it's extremely buggy and vulnerable to viruses. I was told by everyone I talked to to get "Windows XP Pro 64 Bit" So that's what is in my new computer.

My new computer is a Dell and they were offering free upgrades to Vista, but I insisted on XP Pro.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are going to get it at work. I'm not sure about home yet. I'm eager to see it. Figures we're about to get it thought, right after I get a good tutorial for my students on XP....

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to wait a while for the first "bug reports" and the inevitable service release from Microsoft.
My computer is only a year old and I bought it with a possible upgrade to VISTA in mind so the hardware will handle it. I'm in the process of checking on compatibility of my essential software.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a weekly tech column in the Wall Street Journal (love that paper BTW) and Microsoft is having 6 (?) versions avaliable for purchse and of course the less expensive ones have less "stuff". The columnist recommended that if you are an infrequent user of Microsoft Office for instance -it isn't worth upgrading.
I do not plan on getting it at this time either.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH says it has really high requirements for the eye candy(Areo), graphic cards etc...

Supposed to be very secure.

Strict with DRM that when you play music there is a constant overhead to check the net to see if you can play this.

You have to have Windows XP to upgrade b/c the CD doesn't contain all the upgrades. They were included with XP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Time Warner guy did say they were having no trouble with high-speed internet and XP. I've had so much PC trouble the last two years, all I need to make me totally insane is a new PC with trouble. Now I'm thinking maybe I should stick with XP, the one Natalie_CA is getting.

Thanks everyone!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will probably stay with what I got, I wouldn't know how to install the other stuff anyways.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

The Time Warner guy did say they were having no trouble with high-speed internet and XP. I've had so much PC trouble the last two years, all I need to make me totally insane is a new PC with trouble. Now I'm thinking maybe I should stick with XP, the one Natalie_CA is getting.

Thanks everyone!
I think I have XP too.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never upgrade immediatly. As others have stated there are always bugs and security holes. I haven't even upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 yet...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea definitely wait at least until august or after before buying Vista.

The good news with Vista is that it was released with 5,000 security holes whereas XP was released with 10,000.

still though I was talking with someone who was part of the evaluation process of Vista and he said that he's ready to go back to XP.

It stalls too much, just like IE 7. vista doesn't freeze, just pauses. Which that tells me you really have to supe up the hardware in the machine.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Windows currently has 5000 security vulnerabilities - once it's out there, sooooo many more will be discovered.

It scares me that when Microsoft releases a product that nobody wants to buy it immediately because they know there's going to be so many bugs to patch.

We're completely away from all Microsoft products now - we're 100% Mac and Linux and it's great!