Anyone tried Flint Ranch Foods???

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever tried this? How did it compare to science diet? I just sent off for a free sample of both cat and dog food. I am shopping around for something good. I am thinking of the science diet route but am not closed minded to something possibly better. Looking for high protein, low ash, low magnesium for uninary health.

Flint Ranch foods
http://www.frrinc.com/catfood.html

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Lamb Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ground Whole Wheat, Dried Brewers Yeast, Fish Meal, Corn Germ Meal, Salt, Dried Beet Pulp, Dehydrated Cheese, Lecithin, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D-3), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Inositol, DL- Methionine, Manganese, Dehydrated Kelp, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Whey.
\t
Cat and Kitten Health Food Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not less than 32%
Crude Fat Not less than 20.0%
Crude Fiber\t Not more than 3.0%
Moisture Not more than 10.0%
Crude Ash Not more than 4.5%
Magnesium\t Maximum 0.08%

Vitamin/Mineral Assay (Assay per kilogram)
Vitamin A 25,218 IU
Vitamin D 1,501 IU
Vitamin C 50.6 mg
Vitamin E 61 IU
Thiamin (B1) 8.6
Riboflavin (B2) 7.8 mg
Vitamin B12 0.04 mg
Pantothenic Acid 11.6 mg
Folic Acid 0.95 mg
Iron 282.0 mg
Calcium 1.23%
Magnesium 0.08%
Biotin 0.24 mg
Phosphorus 0.86%
Sodium 0.41%
Potassium 0.62%
Chloride 0.57%
Niacin 68.2 mg
Copper 46.0 mg
Pyridoxine 9.50 mg
Manganese 28.0 mg
Zinc 147.0 mg
Iodine 2.80 mg
Selenium 68 mg
Calcium/Phosphorus Ration = 1.23 / .86

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Better than SD but not as good as many main stream avail at the premiums...

Brands that are far better in my book
Nutro ( cheaper than SD in most areas)
Natural balence
Solid gold ( cheaper than SD in most areas)
Innova
Evo
Eagle pack
Castor and polluck
felidea( cheaper than SD in most areas
Natures Praire
Califonia natural ( cheaper than SD in most areas
chicken soup( cheaper than SD in most areas
Royal canin
Sensible choice( cheaper than SD in most areas)
Pro pac ( cheaper than SD in most areas
Sport mix( this is the cheapest low end premium out there I have found... chn by product free and no artificial colors or flavors or chemical prservatives)
Pro plan( some of these are great by all seem a bit better than SD)

would you like a longer list , this is just off the top of my head

32 protein is not high it is low ave ....

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wasn't too into the whole "ground yellow corn" part of it.

Science Diet isn't as amazing as vets say it is. It's a decent food when you compare it to things like Kibbles and Bits, Old Roy, and Special Kitty, but I have to say one of my cats was on it when I got him and his poop was NASTY smelling. It sounds really weird but there is definitley a difference in waste when you change from Science Diet to a better food, from a better food to RAW, etc. It's amazing what feeding a better food changes!

For urinary health feed wet food. Cats need more water to balance the urinary PH because they typically don't drink enough.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

Yeah I wasn't too into the whole "ground yellow corn" part of it.

Science Diet isn't as amazing as vets say it is. It's a decent food when you compare it to things like Kibbles and Bits, Old Roy, and Special Kitty, but I have to say one of my cats was on it when I got him and his poop was NASTY smelling. It sounds really weird but there is definitley a difference in waste when you change from Science Diet to a better food, from a better food to RAW, etc. It's amazing what feeding a better food changes!

For urinary health feed wet food. Cats need more water to balance the urinary PH because they typically don't drink enough.
Thank you I forgot the wet part ...lol.. heres the dry and heres the canned
... Raw works wonders for many I find it great in the rotaion

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Has anyone ever tried this? How did it compare to science diet? I just sent off for a free sample of both cat and dog food. I am shopping around for something good. I am thinking of the science diet route but am not closed minded to something possibly better. Looking for high protein, low ash, low magnesium for uninary health.
I have a friend who runs a Persian and Himmie rescue in Arizona who swears by this food. I don't like that it is so expensive and you have to send out for it. So I never tried it. I use Royal Canin now and sometimes mix it with a little IAMS. I tried to change to a cheaper food but Jake got so sick. Then I use a canned food called Nature Organics now. My cats absolutely love it. I can get Jake to eat a lot of it and he needs it. The ingredients are :
Organic Chicken
Natural well water
organic chicken liver
dicalcium phosphate
potassium chloride
Taurine
vitamin E, A, Riboflavin, , D3 and B12 supplements
Niacin
Folic acid
Biotin
Ferrous sulfate
zinc oxide
manganese
copper
calcium
sodium selenite

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I have a friend who runs a Persian and Himmie rescue in Arizona who swears by this food. I don't like that it is so expensive and you have to send out for it. So I never tried it. I use Royal Canin now and sometimes mix it with a little IAMS. I tried to change to a cheaper food but Jake got so sick. Then I use a canned food called Nature Organics now. My cats absolutely love it. I can get Jake to eat a lot of it and he needs it. The ingredients are :
Organic Chicken
Natural well water
organic chicken liver
dicalcium phosphate
potassium chloride
Taurine
vitamin E, A, Riboflavin, , D3 and B12 supplements
Niacin
Folic acid
Biotin
Ferrous sulfate
zinc oxide
manganese
copper
calcium
sodium selenite
I forgot the natures organics... my crew loves it too and yes very nice ingrediants in the cans

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed the dog version and loved it. Hubby wanted to buy dog food locally though so I stopped getting it. Honestly I wish I had never changed.

As far as the cat food it didn't seem to be up to par like the dog food. So I never bought it.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one out of my group of 19 that had crystals, and I have gone to Nutro Max Cat and Chicken Soup to mix for variety.

I've pretty much had to eliminate the canned food because my Boo who seems to be predominately Manx always manages to get into it and end up with bad diarrhea which is a real horror with a tailless cat who leans toward both urinary and bowel incontinence.

I feel pretty comfortable with this though since I am feeding good quality and my crew always seem to drink plenty from their fountains.

Oh yeah... I tried Flint River Ranch a long time ago. If I recall, it wasn't all that popular here and there is soooooo much good stuff available at a lower price now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brands that are far better in my book
Nutro ( cheaper than SD in most areas)
Natural balence
Solid gold ( cheaper than SD in most areas)
Innova
Evo
Eagle pack
Castor and polluck
felidea( cheaper than SD in most areas
Natures Praire
Califonia natural ( cheaper than SD in most areas
chicken soup( cheaper than SD in most areas
Royal canin
Sensible choice( cheaper than SD in most areas)
Pro pac ( cheaper than SD in most areas
Sport mix( this is the cheapest low end premium out there I have found... chn by product free and no artificial colors or flavors or chemical prservatives)
Pro plan( some of these are great by all seem a bit better than SD)
Got a lot of looking up to do......

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't chicken soup made by diamond that had a dog recall on food that killed some animals??? At the time I had some diamond and threw it out in a dumpster.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Isn't chicken soup made by diamond that had a dog recall on food that killed some animals??? At the time I had some diamond and threw it out in a dumpster.
Yes but that can happend to any food with grain in it as that toxin lives in wheat , rice, shorgum, corn ... etc...

Chicken soup is made in different plants than diamond

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking at Felidea right now. I like the fact that that it is all natural ingredients with 4 human grade meats and no corn. With cranberries for urinary health. I have never heard of it before and am not sure where I would buy it in my area. I like it better than some of the others. Evo is fantastic but very expensive.

I have found a place on line but would really like to walk in a store....

Jenn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like felidea .. the four meat is there regular I prefer there chicken and rice ... less extras

Evo is good but only works in about half the cats... amazingly much better in dogs go figure

Natures prarie raw instict is less than Evo at least in my area and grain free

are you in an area with a petco or petsmart??

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a search and found a place 37 miles from me.

I can get it at All About Dogs and Cats in Springfield, Missouri..

I'll gonna give it a whirl..... I also found a place 10 miles from my job that sells Natures Prairie. Out of your list I like those the best...

But as far as ingredients, I like the FELIDAE the best. I might try both.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can order 60lbs of Felidae from Amazon also for less than 100.00 with shipping.

Do you cats like it compared to Science Diet? Do they eat less of it than a food like Purina since it is more on a high end?

My cats enhale Purina as fast I can put it out. The Science Diet I have been feeding them is lasting a long time. They have been on it a week and have not completed 20 lbs yet. Nearly but not quite. I think they would probably eat approx 60 lbs in a month on the Science Diet. Possibly slightly more. On Purina compete, they would eat close to 50-60 lbs in a two week period if I kept their bowls full.

I was just wondering how the Felidae compares to these two as far as how much satisifies the cat.

Thanks for all the usefull info..........Jenn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
due to it not haveing corn , by products ( heads ft and intestines) and cehmical pres.. yes it is more digestable ...

The regular felidea is likely similiar to SD in digestion due to multiple meat and grains...

My 8lb er who eats like a 15 goes thru about 5 lbs of high end dry a month... My old girl ate about 3-4 lb a month

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just ordered 60 lb of the regular felidea from All About Dogs and Cats in Springfield. My order will be in next Wednesday the 7th. I talked to the woman and she said it is MUCH better than Science Diet. So....... They charging 26.00 for 20 lbs. I might end up getting 4 bags. She said they are ordering extra as well so if I want the 4th bag I can get it. They order twice a month and since it is only 37 miles away that is very affordable. They also carry the Raw Instinct in 11 lb bags for 23ish.. I might try one of those every so often or I might just feed them some meat from the grocery..... I can get ground turkey in one lb packages for .79 cents... I will have to check the salt content first.

I hope they like it since I am ordering a months supply!!! We'll see how long 60-80 lbs last my crew so I will know how much to monthy order....

Sharky thank you... After I get my order and they taste it I will repost here and let ya know... And you know, I feel really good about this.... I think it was a wise choice to make....

Once again, thanks.......

Oh and check this site out..... I wish I could afford it.
http://www.wildkittycatfood.com/index.htm

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I called the lady, I had no idea how to pronounce the name. I said "I am calling to check the price on a 20 lb bag of cat food called FE-something something something EA"... She laughed while she pronounced the name....

I can't wait for Wednesday!!!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The food is ready. I checked and I am picking it up in the morning. Can't wait to smell it and see if the cats like it.....