Music?

catlessgoatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok Im in charge of finding some music to play before/during the funeral and for a video. So I need some ideas on some songs you might think would fit to Amber's life. I cant think of anything. Also does anyone know of a place were you can download music?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had absolutely any interest in classical music or if you're looking for some calming backround music with no lyrics, Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is beautiful, poignant and bittersweet. It, being written for a string chamber orchestra, and like I said, has no words, but is LOVELY. I'd imagine you could check it out from a library...it's an orchestral standard, nothing weird or obscure. Classical recordings generally cost less than $10 at places like Best Buy and iTunes would have it, although they require a subscription.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlessgoatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Any peer to peer program will let you download it.

Have they set a date for the funeral?
Not yet. Her mom and dad are trying to figure it out. They are still trying to find a place to have her buried. None of us have ever had to plan a funeral before. It takes onger then I could ever imagine.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, for a video, you can try Escape Club's "I'll Be There." Beautiful song, always bring me to tears whenever I think of loss, whether it be mine or not (in fact, I was listening to it the other day and imagining it being on a farewell video about Amber)

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if this helps or not, but these two songs always get me. I don't know if you know them -
Nickelback - far away
Inxs - never tear us apart

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard I will remember you by Sarah MacLaughlin and I can only Imagine by MercyMe and I still cry and think about my friends listening to those 2 songs. For a video you could compile pictures throughout Amber's life and play her favorite song during it. I have seen that done at a friend's funeral and it will turn out beautiful.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any good suggestions off the top of my head. But good luck picking something, I'm sure the others will have some great suggestions for you.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

I have heard I will remember you by Sarah MacLaughlin and I can only Imagine by MercyMe and I still cry and think about my friends listening to those 2 songs. For a video you could compile pictures throughout Amber's life and play her favorite song during it. I have seen that done at a friend's funeral and it will turn out beautiful.
I agree - I Will Remember You is an incredibly beautiful and touching song.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any songs right now John.

I use Limewire to download my music.

I do like Go Rest High on that Mountain, by Vince Gill though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

I love the song suggested by Mercy Me. If I remember correctly, the man that does the vocals for the group wrote it for his father who either had passed away or was very sick and dying and then passed away.

A few weeks ago there was a thread I think Amber started, about if your life was a soundtrack. That might have some good ideas staight from Amber for you. I'll go look for it. If I find it, I'll post the link here.

Edit: Here is the link to that post. I'm not sure what is appropriate from this but here it is: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111316

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Limewire for downloads
About music, John is there anything in Ambers own collection that you think would be appropriate ? Maybe you had a record that you both loved.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I do like Go Rest High on that Mountain, by Vince Gill though.
We played that at our daughter's memorial service, it is a very moving tribute song.

Arms of an Angel by Sarah MacLaughlin also.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

We played that at our daughter's memorial service, it is a very moving tribute song.

Yes it is, I love to hear Vince Gill sing.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

That is my suggestion as well. It is a beautiful song, and I think Amber would like it.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That is my suggestion as well. It is a beautiful song, and I think Amber would like it.
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and by all means, use the song if you like it and it means something to you, but the lyrics are actually about a self-mutilating drug addict who OD's.

It's beautifully written, however, and I don't think guests will notice anything but the part where she sings "In the arms of the aannnnnngggggeeeelll fly awwwwaaaaaayyyy from heeeeerreee"

Ok, end delicate post.

ETA: Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" makes me teary eyed. That is completely appropriate, I think.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and by all means, use the song if you like it and it means something to you, but the lyrics are actually about a self-mutilating drug addict who OD's.

It's beautifully written, however, and I don't think guests will notice anything but the part where she sings "In the arms of the aannnnnngggggeeeelll fly awwwwaaaaaayyyy from heeeeerreee"

Ok, end delicate post.
Ah, could I possibly suggest that we stay away from terms like "self-mutilating" and stick with something less judgemental-sounding like "self-harming" or "self-injurying"?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Ah, could I possibly suggest that we stay away from terms like "self-mutilating" and stick with something less judgemental-sounding like "self-harming" or "self-injurying"?
Absolutely. I was unaware of the appropriate terms.