My weight problem with picture

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll post it again. This is about my Tom whom I feel is losing weight. Since I have no financial resources to pay a vet right now, I would appreciate it if you can tell me how he looks to you.
Does he seem healthy?
Thanks again.
Angie

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from a picture, but how does he feel? When you pet him, can you feel his bumpy spine? Can you feel his ribs? Does he go outside? Is he up to date on vaccinations?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Size wise, he looks fine, but I'll repeat was Dusty's Mom has asked, does he feel boney at all, especially in the hips or along his spine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He does go outside and runs and play and as I've said, he eats normaly.
When I carry him he feels lighter than his sister Sassy.
Sassy is a bit chubby though. Maybe that is why I see this weight thing since his sister gained weight after spay and he seems thinner after neutering.
Thanks.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... he looks quite well and handsome to me, but you're his mama -- if you feel he's getting thinner, then he probably is.

You say you can't handle a vet visit right now, but... have Tom and his sister been going to the vet regularly, getting their shots and boosters? Those are especially vital for kitties that are allowed outdoors, where they're exposed to all kinds of dangers that could account for weight loss.

Here's a thought that may or may not be valid: I know male cats are normally a little thicker through the neck and shoulders than females, but neutering keeps them from developing that upper-body heaviness... so maybe if Tom had started to develop that typically masculine proportion and now, after neutering, is losing it, that might give you the impression that he's getting thinner. How old is he, and how long since the surgery?

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks beautiful to me, but then, as the others say, you know best. Both my cats are bigger than that, but their faces are bigger, they are long cats, etc.
How much does he weigh?

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat behaviour is often a quick way to tell if the kitty is feeling well. When both of my cats were sick with little things post-adoption, they ate very little and were very withdrawn. A quick visit to the vet and a couple of prescriptions fixed them up in a week.

First of all, you know (more than anyone else) whether your cat is well or not. Based on visual appearances only, your kitty looks ok for his size. My cat Romeo was adopted when he was 9 months old and he was SKINNY. It took him a year to fill out, and now he's 11 lbs. As previously mentioned, the timing of the neutering plays a big role in male stature. If a male is neutered early, then the % muscle mass will be much less than a cat who's neutered late.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carm

Cat behaviour is often a quick way to tell if the kitty is feeling well. When both of my cats were sick with little things post-adoption, they ate very little and were very withdrawn. A quick visit to the vet and a couple of prescriptions fixed them up in a week.

First of all, you know (more than anyone else) whether your cat is well or not. Based on visual appearances only, your kitty looks ok for his size. My cat Romeo was adopted when he was 9 months old and he was SKINNY. It took him a year to fill out, and now he's 11 lbs. As previously mentioned, the timing of the neutering plays a big role in male stature. If a male is neutered early, then the % muscle mass will be much less than a cat who's neutered late.
I didn't know that about the neutering! My cats were both neutered at 6 months and have that little puchy thing goin on.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well he looks fine to me
but as others have already said, you know how your own cats is and notice changes etc. Cant offer much more than alreadys been mentioned.......

I´d like to add ...........some cats are of the "slender" type and maybe thats a consideration too ?

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

I didn't know that about the neutering! My cats were both neutered at 6 months and have that little puchy thing goin on.
I haven't read this anywhere in the literature, however, based on my own observations and the biology of castration (that is, withdrawal of testosterone due to removal of the testes), I've noticed that many males who have been neutered a little later tend to have be more muscular than those who are neutered prior to or near sexual maturity. As with humans, testosterone is one of the key male reproductive hormones that also promotes increased muscle mass. By neutering your male earlier, it would seem intuititive that his muscles wouldn't develop to such an extent as an unaltered male. One of my friends has a male who was neutered after 1 year of age and he's extremely well-built compared to my boys who were neutered around 6 months of age. Although increased muscle mass boosts metabolism and hence burns more fat, this likely plays a minor role in the promotion of obesity compared to overfeeding. The relatively low activity levels of indoors cats (compared to outdoor cats) also plays a big role in the promotion of obesity.

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
all for responding. Tom is 10 months old and he was neutered on December 22 of 06.
He does eat a lot and runs and plays with his sisters. He was even the culprit of "breaking into" the bag of cat food when I forgot to put it away! I will have to borrow a scale to weigh him. I have his papers of the neutering and he weighed 9.5 pounds.
I will keep my eye on him though.
Thanks again.
Angie

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing that came to my mind was if you had access to a weighing machine. I found a baby scale at a garage sale for two dollars and have kept track of my cat's weight that way. Just from looking at the photos, he looks good. But looking below, it is hard to believe my two cats wiegh exactly the same thing right to the ounce! So a scale would be very helpful and would let you know for SURE what is going on in the weight department. Oh, you would be surprised how many baby scales there are at garage sales!

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great idea Persi! Your cats are adorable!
Thanks.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carm

I haven't read this anywhere in the literature, however, based on my own observations and the biology of castration (that is, withdrawal of testosterone due to removal of the testes), I've noticed that many males who have been neutered a little later tend to have be more muscular than those who are neutered prior to or near sexual maturity. As with humans, testosterone is one of the key male reproductive hormones that also promotes increased muscle mass. By neutering your male earlier, it would seem intuititive that his muscles wouldn't develop to such an extent as an unaltered male. One of my friends has a male who was neutered after 1 year of age and he's extremely well-built compared to my boys who were neutered around 6 months of age. Although increased muscle mass boosts metabolism and hence burns more fat, this likely plays a minor role in the promotion of obesity compared to overfeeding. The relatively low activity levels of indoors cats (compared to outdoor cats) also plays a big role in the promotion of obesity.
Thank you so much for the information!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but there really is no way to determine an animals health by a picture. I understand you can't afford a vet but Maybe look around for a discounted vet or ask someone for some help with it.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

The first thing that came to my mind was if you had access to a weighing machine. I found a baby scale at a garage sale for two dollars and have kept track of my cat's weight that way. Just from looking at the photos, he looks good. But looking below, it is hard to believe my two cats wiegh exactly the same thing right to the ounce! So a scale would be very helpful and would let you know for SURE what is going on in the weight department. Oh, you would be surprised how many baby scales there are at garage sales!
Yep!! I bought a baby scale on ebay for around $10. It's PERFECT to weigh the cats!