A Sad Situation-Advice Maybe?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm not sure what to do or if I need to do anything...

A 15 year old friend of my son and daughter (who are 15 and 14) was killed last night in a horrible pedestrian/car accident. My daughter is using peer support, and I think is handling it emotionally. But I'm not sure what to do about my son. This is the second friend he's lost, and the first one is what I think started his depression. I'm not really sure what to do for him. Just sort of be here? Gosh what a horrible week.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, be there for him.Let him know that he can cry. Alot of men/boys don't think it is o.k. to show emotion.
Also, I would suggest maybe getting some of his friends/peers to be able to get together and talk about it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what sort of relationship you have with your son, but I would definately suggest he see a counselor of some sort. Boys are less likely to seek help when they are having problems emotionally. If he doesn't want his friend to know that he's seeing a counselor so doesn't want to go to the one at school, perhaps you could offer to set up an appt. at the drs. office with a counselor & let him go speak to the counselor by himself?

That's awful that the poor boy was killed so young. My prayers go out to his family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he just came down from his room and asked to go to someone's house in the neighborhood where everyone is getting together. I'm glad. Kids need to be together at times like these.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, he just came down from his room and asked to go to someone's house in the neighborhood where everyone is getting together. I'm glad. Kids need to be together at times like these.
Thats great that a bunch of them are able to get together to be together. Thats so much better than him sitting alone in his room

I agree with a school conselour- hopefully he will be able to talk to somewhere there
Just be there for him, let him know its okay to cry- everyone does it, even tough guys

My prayers go out to their family, and yours

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that being with people his own age at his own request is a positive step. He might just need some space for a bit, not really in a depression yet.

for all of you, such a sad loss.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would talk to him. (being a teenage boy he might not be too open but it never hurts to try) Let him know how much he means to you. If you think he has depression I would seek some kind of treatment. Maybe take him to a therapist. It can help alot to talk to someone you don't know because it can make you feel a little more open about things. I would NOT take it lightly. When I was 16, two people I knew commited suicide. He is not too young for thoughts like that. After I lost my friends I fell into a deep depression, started doing drugs and was in a really low time in my life. My mother got me help. It took about 1 and 1/2 years to start feeling "normal" but after getting help I realized that people cared about me...

WARNING SIGNS

* Abrupt changes in personality
* Giving away possessions
* Previous suicide attempt
* Use of drugs and/or alcohol
* Change in eating pattern - significant weight change
* Change in sleeping pattern - insomnia/oversleeping
* Unwillingness or inability to communicate
* Depression
* Extreme or extended boredom
* Accident prone (carelessness)
* Unusual sadness, discouragement and loneliness.
* Talk of wanting to die
* Neglect of academic work and/or personal appearance
* Family disruptions - divorce, trauma, losing loved one.
* Running away from home or truancy from school.
* Rebelliousness - reckless behavior.
* Withdrawal from people/activities they love.
* Confusion - Inability to concentrate
* Chronic Pain, Panic or Anxiety
* Perfectionism
* Restlessness

RISK FACTORS

* Problems with school or the law
* Breakup of a romance
* Unexpected pregnancy
* A stressful family life. (having parents
who are depressed or are substance
abusers, or a family history of suicide
* Loss of security...fear of authority, peers,
group or gang members
* Stress due to new situations; college
or relocating to a new community
* Failing in school or failing to pass
an important test
* A serious illness or injury to oneself
* Seriously injuring another person or
causing another person's death
(example: automobile accident)
* Major loss...of a loved one,
a home, divorce in the family,
a trauma, a relationship

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people ages 15 to 24. In 2001, 3,971 suicides were reported in this group.

One of the BIGGEST things to watch for is going from being depressed to suddenly VERY happy. This can be a sign that someone has made up there mind to commit suicide and is feeling less burdened knowing that the pain will soon be over.

I DONT MEAN TO WORRY YOU AND I'M SORRY IF I DO. I just know that I lost my friends to suicide because no one thought that they would actually do it. I dont want anyone else to lose their loved one because of it either!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's quite all right, Shorty. I appreciate the lists and advice. Actually, fortunately, I guess, my son has been seeing a therapist for several months now. He had been on anti-depressants, but is now off of them. Which is probably good, but I'll definitely watch him. He does have a few of those risk factors, like last year he broke his femur. I think that was one of the things that really sent him into the depression. And losing his friend. And self-medicating, which he no longer does.

Oh gosh. What a week.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooo!! That's terrible. Is his next appointment with the therapist soon? You may want to boost it up if it isn't.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its REALLY good that he is honest with you about being depressed. It shows that he knows you care about him and want him to be ok. Its GREAT that you are so involved in his life.
I know I hated my mom poking her nose in my my business when I was a teen but it is more than likely what saved my life.

It sounds like your doing a great job watching out for him! If only more parents where involved in their childrens lives...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, his appointment's Monday. So on Monday, at school, there will probably be counselors there, then right after school is his appointment. I called the doctor tonight & just left a message to let him know. Because it's all over the news, too, and that makes it all the more traumatic.

He's just real sensitive too. When he was in first grade, the Columbine tragedy happened, and his first grade teacher had kids at the school, and her daughter's best friend was one who was killed - and the teacher never came back to school, and I think that upset him a lot. A year after, when the anniversary was coming up, he showed a lot of stressed behavior.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate that it doesn't take much to send a kid(or adult) back into depression. My older sister is still struggling with depression. She had been doing well for 1 1/2 years until our dog died at 15 years of age...that was 5 years ago. Since then, she has been struggling with dealing with her depression.
It's not right for a kid to have to deal with that sorta stuff....they should get to be kids & enjoy themselves!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What a horrible tragedy. The fact that he is in therapy already is a help because he does have an outlet and I know you will be there for him.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry, definitely encourage healthy friendships and seeking help

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible thing to have to go through at that age. Just make sure that he knows your there for him, and watch for any of the warning signs.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, I'm not sure what to do or if I need to do anything...

A 15 year old friend of my son and daughter (who are 15 and 14) was killed last night in a horrible pedestrian/car accident. My daughter is using peer support, and I think is handling it emotionally. But I'm not sure what to do about my son. This is the second friend he's lost, and the first one is what I think started his depression. I'm not really sure what to do for him. Just sort of be here? Gosh what a horrible week.
I'm sorry

I would strongly suggest taking your son to a counsellor so that he can get some counselling to deal with his grief in a proper manner instead of bottling it up inside.

It might be necessary to have him put on anti-depressants for a period of time if his depression is only situational, meaning brought on by a circumstance and not an actual chemical imbalance in his brain that requires forever type treatment.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kim, I am so sorry he is having to deal with this tragedy on top of other problems. He sounds like he has had a rough time. I have no real advice, but wanted you to know I am thinking of you. You are a very caring Mom and he obviously knows that. How is your daughter dealing with it?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, your son, daughter AND you are certainly going through it
From what you have mentioned thing are looking positive, your sons meeting with his friends, your daughter has support and the school with know & have the right mechanisms in place.
You are right about "being there" I am a great believer in trying to keep a normal routine when tradegy hits, normal everyday things are the anchor that takes us through the days and hopefully keeps things on a even keel.

Take care and, well, you know theres always TCS if you need anything at all !

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice that hasn't already been shared.

I just want to say that your family, and the friend's family and other friends are in my thoughts and prayers.