I am SOOOOOOOOO mad!!!!!! (may be long)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I filed my taxes last night at a big company ( I will call them X). The girl who prepared them wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box. She had to ask her supervisor 4-5 time about what to do. He had to go back and correct a few things also.. If she had left it that way, I would have lost out on over $300... Soooooooooo
While I was at work, I got 3 calls and 3 messages saying to come get my check.. So I call them to confirm that it's there. The girl tells me 3 times it's there and she's got the check in her hand and even read the amount off to me. So I grab my keys and head out the door. Just as I'm leaving the girl from X calls and says "Im sorry, I've made a mistake. Your check isnt here."
So I tell her "Excuse me? You just told me it was there!"
She went kept saying she was sorry and that there was nothing she could do.. So I demanded to speak with her supervisor. She told me he wasn't there and he would call me tomorrow or monday.. I said "absolutely NOT! I am comingup there and I want to speak with him on the phone"
So I go up there and she calls her supervisor. I tell him what happened and he has literally nothing to say...
I ask WHY didn't I get it?
She tells me the bank denied it but the IRS approved it... again

So I call the bank, they said the IRS denied it but they were going to deny it again......
So I call her supervisor and tell him "What's going on here?! We're playing the blame game here.. The bank is saying it's the IRS and the IRS is saying it's your bank.. This is ridiculous!!!!!
"
He offered no explanation and said he would look into it first thing tomorrow.. Well, honestly, that's not good enough... This is my MONEY you're messing with
How many OTHER people have they done this to??!!!!!
So I go over HIS head and call his district manager. He looks it up and says "no the IRS denied it saying you owe them for either a student loan or child support" Uhhhhh........NO! I don't have any student loans and I RECIEVE child support..I also tell him what the girl at X said about having the check in my hand and they were VERY lucky I hadn't gone and put a down payment on the car I was going to get. (Which I came VERY close to doing this afternoon since I was told my check was there) He apologized and said he was going to refund all the preparation fees and that next year to come to HIM to have my taxes done...Uh, what makes them think I will be going back to them?
I have been going to them for 6 years and really never had a problem until now...
SOOOOOOOOOO I get to wait until Monday to call the IRS to find out what in the world is going on with my taxes... It looks like no car for Alycia..

I am SOOOOOOOO enraged right now that I'm in TEARS!!!!!

I wanted to get another car and NEEDED to catch up some bills.
Does anyone know anything about this kind of stuff?
I really need some vibes right now.. I am SO depressed.. DH says "That's why I never look forward to ANYTHING in life"... Thanks for the comfort...

Sorry It was so long.. I needed to vent

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't even got my stuff ready for taxes yet
I hate this time of year.

We have used the same CPA for about 25 years, I love him doing our taxes, he is good at what he does. And I like using him because if something goes wrong, he takes care of it for us.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia, I'm sorry!! I don't know anything about that kind of stuff other than we get ours done at the same placew every year for about 9 years now.
Don't worry.They'll get it all worked out soon!!
HUGS!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, hopefully it will all get straightened out...it doesn't sound like you will owe anything, due to this most likely being an error with the way this firm filed your taxes. If it is denied, you will have to take it elsewhere and have it done correctly.

Don't get too upset yet...there has got to be something that someone can do. Sending vibes that this will all work out shortly, and that you can have your car and pay off some bills.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's horrible. I'm sorry you had such a horrible day!

I hope you can get things straightened out on Monday!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kinda makes you wonder what people have to do to get hired at places to do taxes, doesn't it?

I'm sorta confused, but did that girl lie to you about having your check in her hands?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At many of the tax prep places they will inform you as to who is liable for errors.
Neil is a CPA but doesn't "do" other peoples taxes for this reason-if he signed as preparer he would be liable for the errors. Does the IRS website help in this instance at all?? You haven't received any letters from them (the IRS??)
I would then call them (the IRS) be prepared to hold a while.
Some of the temp employees those types of places hire may be accounting students. (one of my nieces worked at such places during tax time).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Kinda makes you wonder what people have to do to get hired at places to do taxes, doesn't it?

I'm sorta confused, but did that girl lie to you about having your check in her hands?
Yeap! She did... and it wasn't "Oh I misread the name on the check" it was a flat out LIE! When I spoke to her district manager, he said she had to bold face lie because they don't print the checks out until you get there
Originally Posted by GailC

At many of the tax prep places they will inform you as to who is liable for errors.
Neil is a CPA but doesn't "do" other peoples taxes for this reason-if he signed as preparer he would be liable for the errors. Does the IRS website help in this instance at all?? You haven't received any letters from them (the IRS??)
I would then call them (the IRS) be prepared to hold a while.
Some of the temp employees those types of places hire may be accounting students. (one of my nieces worked at such places during tax time).
I haven't recieved anything... When I call the IRS I get an automated thing saying that my return has been accepted

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whoa! I hope they are disciplining that girl! I mean, if she flat out lied to you, what's to stop her from doing it again? That's scary.....esp. when they're dealing with your money!

I hope you get this straightened out soon.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Whoa! I hope they are disciplining that girl! I mean, if she flat out lied to you, what's to stop her from doing it again? That's scary.....esp. when they're dealing with your money!

I hope you get this straightened out soon.
That is what I said!
How man other people has she done this to?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ARGH!!! I would've been so tempted to smack that girl in the face! Really? Did she think she could've gotten away with telling you she had your check?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ARGH!!! I would've been so tempted to smack that girl in the face! Really? Did she think she could've gotten away with telling you she had your check?
I also found out she's only being doing taxes a month...
And they've left this girl on her OWN to do people's TAXES?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how it works in Canada. I used to work for a tax office and had to deal with very many "cash back" refunds.

Sometimes things happen. Things are sent to the government tax office and it all eventually get's matched up with your social security number (or whatever it's called down there). It's quite possible that they have some information there that you didn't declare on a prior tax return (by mistake), and because of that it altered things.

Getting mad at the company that did your taxes is totally unfair. They can only go by what you tell them and what information you give them. When you went there to get your taxes done and wanted cash back, that was dependent on no problems with the government and any prior returns on your part. It's not their fault that the government is saying sorry, but you aren't getting back the amount of money you thought you were.

The girl may have in deed had your cheque there ready to be picked up and didn't notice that it was flagged as "owing" money to the government from a prior tax return.

All you can do is wait, and call the government on Monday and ask them what is going on and if one of your prior returns had been adjusted at their end.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Alycia- that stinks! I'm sorry all of this is going on. I know how much you need that money.
I definitely think that girl needs to be fired or reprimanded somehow for her actions! You want me to squish her for you

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I know how it works in Canada. I used to work for a tax office and had to deal with very many "cash back" refunds.

Sometimes things happen. Things are sent to the government tax office and it all eventually get's matched up with your social security number (or whatever it's called down there). It's quite possible that they have some information there that you didn't declare on a prior tax return (by mistake), and because of that it altered things.

Getting mad at the company that did your taxes is totally unfair. They can only go by what you tell them and what information you give them. When you went there to get your taxes done and wanted cash back, that was dependent on no problems with the government and any prior returns on your part. It's not their fault that the government is saying sorry, but you aren't getting back the amount of money you thought you were.

The girl may have in deed had your cheque there ready to be picked up and didn't notice that it was flagged as "owing" money to the government from a prior tax return.

All you can do is wait, and call the government on Monday and ask them what is going on and if one of your prior returns had been adjusted at their end.
No, you don't understand... The IRS has cleared it.. .but the company X is saying THIER bank has denied it saying I owe child support or school loans...
I don't pay child support, I am the one PAID child support and have NEVER had a student loan... I have EVERY right to be upset with them.. and no, she didn't have my check... I was informed that the preparers NEVER touch the checks... they are printed out when you get there to avoid fraud.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia, you have every right to be upset.I would be too.
I don't know what can be done.But, I would do whatever you can to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.