Pooping on Rugs

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard of cats that will poop on throw rugs? Jazzy does this and it's starting to annoy me. It seems to be only some throw rugs. But now I got a new area rug in my living room and he'll poop on that. He uses a litter box if I pick up all the rugs. I want to keep my area rug down but am sick of him pooping on it! Someone told me they heard of this behaivor but can't remember what was said of it. If I put down a bathroom rug (deep pile) by my tub he will poop AND pee on that. So I don't even bother with it anymore or just keep it hanging over the tub.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone here suggested to me to spray a white vinegar/water mix, or something with citrus scent in it on my rugs, to make them unappealing. I'm giving it a try this week (the vinegar)- will let you know how it goes (so far, so good, but I still haven't put the lid on the new litterbox...), if you'd like

I've also read that the rubber backing on bathroom rugs can have an ammonia smell to it, and that's why they like to wee on them

Don't forget to spray them with an enzyme cleaner, to get all the smell out (that only he can smell
). This time I sprayed the rugs, washed them in Tide and Oxyclean, then washed them in Dreft (some also said they spray a Dreft/water mixture where their cat has wee'd), and they actually came out smelling good for a change!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the tips. I saw some of them, like the citrus scent or vinegar trick. Do you think it works for pooping too? Because that is what he does most. The only time he pees is on the bathroom rug. It is deep pile and it does have a rubber backing. My area rug does not have a rubber backing. And he only poops on it. Let me know how it works for you!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so weird..I have never heard of a cat pooping on throw rugs..but then using the LB if the rugs are gone
How weird..good luck with it, I'm not sure what advice to give..

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

That is so weird..I have never heard of a cat pooping on throw rugs..but then using the LB if the rugs are gone
How weird..good luck with it, I'm not sure what advice to give..
I know, isn't it weird? I'm really stumped. It's true though. When the rugs are gone, Jazzy is litter box compliant!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think (and am hoping! LOL!) that the scent is somewhat offensive to their little sensitive noses, and they will avoid the spot- no sniffing around to find a spot to potty on
. The area rug, though...I guess you'll know it's working if he is walking along the walls when he goes through the room
!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

The area rug, though...I guess you'll know it's working if he is walking along the walls when he goes through the room
!
Oh my... that's so funny I forgot to laugh!
Actually I can see that picture in mind.