Am I the only one?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even when I take non-drowsy cold medicine it makes me sleepy! This is so frustrating, because it means that if I have a cold I can't medicate myself at work. I'm stuck there all day with a raging cold, and then I go home pop some DayQul and fall asleep.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe!

I can't take many cold medications due to the decongestent (lol terrible speller), so I often have to go around like that too!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people, such as yourself, just react the opposite of the general rule. I know a few folks who get sleepy with sudafed (a decongestant) and it is a neuro stimmulant and generally makes people more awake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I think that's common. Definately happens to everyone in my family.
I had to convince DH of this fact when we were first dating. I had a cold, and he gave me some daytime medicine. I took it, and half an hour later I was asleep at the romantic dinner he had made for me. I still feel bad.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I had to convince DH of this fact when we were first dating. I had a cold, and he gave me some daytime medicine. I took it, and half an hour later I was asleep at the romantic dinner he had made for me. I still feel bad.
Poor DH. At least you didn't claim that he was trying to poison you

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to me- even when I take meds to make me drowsy- they still usually don't work!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully I don't have that probelm. Did you try taking half the amount and see if that works for you?? My mom takes Coricidan Cold Medicine (spelling might be off) due to high blood pressure. Its I'm thinking a different formulation-you might want to try that.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think whenever your sick, you're just tired of fighting the illness. it's best just to get some sleep...a little more than what you do at night.

The only cold medicine that keeps me awake and alert while I'm sick is Aleeve Cold and sinus (or Flu). Otherwise I could take a gallon of DayQuill and still want to fall asleep.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just the oposite. I have to take a ton of the drowsy stuff for it to even work.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I am just the oposite. I have to take a ton of the drowsy stuff for it to even work.
That's strange... well at least I know I'm not alone.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't take much cold medicine, mostly just Advil. Whenever I take things like Sudafed, or Ny-Quil, etc. I barf. I'd rather be sutffy that pukey!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I don't take much cold medicine, mostly just Advil. Whenever I take things like Sudafed, or Ny-Quil, etc. I barf. I'd rather be sutffy that pukey!
True... most cold meds do upset my tummy as well. Perhaps I should seek out alternatives.