Has the quality of bacon gone down?

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today I made some bacon for breakfest, also fixing to eat some fruit( if I have any and drink some juice) as I was cooking I noticed that the becon, forgot the brand seemed to have lots of fat on it, I always pick around the fat and turkey blast the greeze out as I cook, very very bad for you if you dont. It seems like in order to buy good bacon you must spend at least $5 these days.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that you get what you pay for.
I have had success with Oscar Mayer and Farmland brand bacons.
If you really want some "fast" buy the Oscar Mayer precooked stuff-its not too bad for say on a sandwich.
If you want to indulge look for a specialty bacon by Nueske's (made in tiny Wittenberg, WI and yes they have a website too). Its really good!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've noticed in recent bacon purchases that I'm just cooking strips of fat.

But I do agree, if you spend a little more you'll get more meat (like 1/2 fat 1/2 meat compared to 99% fat and 1% meat)

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt know..I am spoiled. My uncle raises pigs. so i get farm fresh from him
its yummy.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
possibly cause of all the growth hormones they give and animals are just gaining weight with an increased fat production?? i am vegetarian so i buy morning star farms...I also got my meat loving mom eating it
!
! A tad bit of butter and cooked on medium comes out great!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

I wouldnt know..I am spoiled. My uncle raises pigs. so i get farm fresh from him
its yummy.
Oh, I love fresh bacon. We have a local grocery that sells pork bellies and whenever they have them, I buy a bunch of packages and put them in the freezer.

I actually love the fatty bacon.
After I finish cooking the bacon I fry my egg in the bacon fat.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like more "red" than "white" in my bacon, so I generally tend to buy the center cut bacon from oscar mayer: it's leaner.

I also cook bacon in the microwave on a few layers of paper towels which drains the fat off really nicely.

My husband, on the other hand, likes his bacon fatty and floppy and barely cooked.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ryanjay

... i am vegetarian so i buy morning star farms...I also got my meat loving mom eating it
!
!...!
OMG I used to love Morningstar Farms bacon! I loved the veggie links, too. I can't get it in Canada.

Sorry, don't know about regular bacon but I wish I had some veggie strips!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat "real" bacon anymore....it was just always soooo gresy and fatty. I didn't like that... and it got harder and harder to find good bacon that didn't taste weird. So i switched to eating Turkey bacon. That stuff is awesome!!!! It's crispy- donesn't have nearly the same amount of fat- and it has a great flavor to it! Ya'll should definitely try it! It's yummy!!!!
Even with the turkey bacon though- i rarely ever eat it- i'm just not a huge bacon person. I'd rather have fruit, good cereal, or a bagle instead

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bacon is just bad for you period. No matter if you squeeze the grease out of it or not. I did notice it is pretty expensive now. Thanks goodness I don't buy it!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We get our bacon from the local meat locker. Less fatty. More expensive, but a zillion times better than the grocery store stuff!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We get our bacon from the local meat locker. Less fatty. More expensive, but a zillion times better than the grocery store stuff!
I wonder if its the same place my parents get there's from sometimes- I love bacon, I could eat it on everything!
But I don't

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I wonder if its the same place my parents get there's from sometimes- I love bacon, I could eat it on everything!
But I don't
It's the town halfway between me & FMT, Kenz. That's the closest meat locker to us. I dunno if FMT has one or not...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It's the town halfway between me & FMT, Kenz. That's the closest meat locker to us. I dunno if FMT has one or not...
Hmm... it might be the same? Actually- they get theirs from Welcome.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Oh, I love fresh bacon. We have a local grocery that sells pork bellies and whenever they have them, I buy a bunch of packages and put them in the freezer.

I actually love the fatty bacon.
After I finish cooking the bacon I fry my egg in the bacon fat.
I love fresh meat in general. i know where its coming from, i know its not hopped up with who knows what. I know it was raised well, and butchered humanely. Lucky for me i have farm friends so i can get just about everything fresh.

I think its better for me too

Maia likes the chickens i get so no complaints from the kits either,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise