I got a freaking VIRUS!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am soooooo mad. I got this link from an msn buddy, and it turned out to be a virus. When I click on the link, it sends the virus to all my msn buddies, and so on and so on.

I think some of my buddies didn't click the link, but I DID

So, my virus scan found the virus but it can't delete it because there is "not enough info to heal the file" And I couldn't just delete it, there was no way to do it..so now its in my "virus vault"..whatever that is.

I am soooooooooo mad, what is WRONG with people who spread these things.

:censor::censor::censor::censor:.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sucks, I don't open attachments anymore because of that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yeah remind me not to click on any emails / IMs from you!
I'm sorry if you got it Eithne..I hope you didn't click it. It wasn't my fault..:censor::censor::censor::censor: it makes me so mad.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sucks. I would be mad too. On yahoo sometimes something happens where it sends a link to your friends and if they click on it they will get a virus...I don't click on anything in offlines any more.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Sorry Nat that stinks, what the heck is wrong with people
I actually thought you were sick when I read your thread title, so I'm glad your not
I would rather be sick than my puter..at least my sickness would go away

I guess when its in the vault, it means it can't infect my puter...but it just can't be deleted..The puter is working normal, so I am not freaking out yet..BUT if I drop off TCS its because my puter is busted.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I remember that one, I'm lucky that my firewall/router blocks a lot of stuff. You'll likely need to do a search and manually remove it. The Symantec site will usually tell you step by step how to get rid if viruses and trojans, tech forums are usually useful as well.

Goodluck, it's troublesome but I'm sure you'll be able to get rid of it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh I remember that one, I'm lucky that my firewall/router blocks a lot of stuff. You'll likely need to do a search and manually remove it. The Symantec site will usually tell you step by step how to get rid if viruses and trojans, tech forums are usually useful as well.

Goodluck, it's troublesome but I'm sure you'll be able to get rid of it.
I know its in the vault..I wonder how I search for it manually? Any guess anyone?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck... I got a virus on my computer once, but thank god my anit-virus stuff caught it and fixed it, I was pretty mad tho too!

Hope you can fix it quickly!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I'm sorry if you got it Eithne..I hope you didn't click it. It wasn't my fault..:censor::censor::censor::censor: it makes me so mad.
Even if I got it my virus scanner would have deleted it too and I would still love you

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Do you know the file name? Also, which anti-virus software are you using?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You were fine when it went into the vault. The only issue you may see is if a program is having problems. That is why I was curious to the file name that was quarantined. Just be sure to keep your anti-virus up-to-date.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You were fine when it went into the vault. The only issue you may see is if a program is having problems. That is why I was curious to the file name that was quarantined. Just be sure to keep your anti-virus up-to-date.
Everything is working fine right now..so I think I'm okay. My AVG is always up to date. I'm glad it caught that virus on the scan today..*whew*

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes antivirus programs can't get all of it, usually if it's a trojan that's already installed other little bits of stuff. An extra scan later wouldn't hurt. As for manually searching if you can catch the name of whatever sets it off (if it tells you) or see something weird running in your processes (in the task manager) you can search that in google and there should be a few hits from the search that are useful for getting rid of stuff. I hope none of you on here ever have to deal with it but there's occaisionally some stuff that has to be killed out through manually deleting and editing registry.

A good thing to do is kind of familarizer youself with what all the exe's running in your processes belong to. http://www.tasklist.org/ lists a lot of them and others can be figured out by searching the odd exe on google.
If a person is really worried about a possible infection, programs that make a list of everything running on your comp (like HijackThis) plus a ad and malware remover (avg has one of those too) and an online virus scanner (incase the one on the comp is compromised) can usually catch and clear things out. Mostly only worry if you catch anything really nasty

um... and I don't claim to be a computer geek by any means, I've just had to play clean up too many times

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Sometimes antivirus programs can't get all of it, usually if it's a trojan that's already installed other little bits of stuff. An extra scan later wouldn't hurt. As for manually searching if you can catch the name of whatever sets it off (if it tells you) or see something weird running in your processes (in the task manager) you can search that in google and there should be a few hits from the search that are useful for getting rid of stuff. I hope none of you on here ever have to deal with it but there's occaisionally some stuff that has to be killed out through manually deleting and editing registry.

A good thing to do is kind of familarizer youself with what all the exe's running in your processes belong to. http://www.tasklist.org/ lists a lot of them and others can be figured out by searching the odd exe on google.
If a person is really worried about a possible infection, programs that make a list of everything running on your comp (like HijackThis) plus a ad and malware remover (avg has one of those too) and an online virus scanner (incase the one on the comp is compromised) can usually catch and clear things out. Mostly only worry if you catch anything really nasty

um... and I don't claim to be a computer geek by any means, I've just had to play clean up too many times

Most viruses now are "hybrids" where they can throw on a bunch of spyware as well.

Do you use Yahoo Toolbar? If so, a free copy of Norton AntiSpyware should be installed. Run that by doing a "Full" scan. Just to be sure.

If you don't have Yahoo Toolbar (and don't want to download it), go to www.ewido.com. That's a very good (and FREE) Antispyware tool to use.