Two cat's not getting along

tgamron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I found this forum looking for answers about my two cats behavior. I have two sister cats from the same litter. They been like this for 6 years.

When I got home from work, I found it strange not having the gray cat waiting at the top of the stairs. Then I found a broken lamp, and found her hiding under the bed. It looks like they must have a dispute. Now the orange cat is acting aggressively towards the gray cat. So the gray cat is spending the day under my bed. or behind the couch.

I closed to the door to the bedroom a few hours, and the gray cat seem to act normal, when I open the door, and her sister came in the room. And she had the look of fear on her face, and even had saliva dripping from her mouth.

Every time they see each other, it's a face off, with growling, and the gray cat retreats.

I don't know what do do about this situation. Any idea?

Thanks,

Ted

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!!

Both of your kitties are lovely looking. What are their names?
I would bring grey cat to the vet. Sometimes they pick on one another when one is sick. Has anything changed recently?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I got home from work, I found it strange not having the gray cat waiting at the top of the stairs. Then I found a broken lamp, and found her hiding under the bed. It looks like they must have a dispute. Now the orange cat is acting aggressively towards the gray cat. So the gray cat is spending the day under my bed. or behind the couch.

I closed to the door to the bedroom a few hours, and the gray cat seem to act normal, when I open the door, and her sister came in the room. And she had the look of fear on her face, and even had saliva dripping from her mouth.

Every time they see each other, it's a face off, with growling, and the gray cat retreats.
I would definately take both to the vet to rule out something physical first. Has anything changed where you live???

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tgamron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

Welcome to TCS!!!

Both of your kitties are lovely looking. What are their names?
I would bring grey cat to the vet. Sometimes they pick on one another when one is sick. Has anything changed recently?
The gray one is Gumbo, the orange is Pumpkin. There have been no changes that I can see. Same old food, same water dish, etc. I'll check with the vet on Monday.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sometimes there may be something going on that you really can't see right away. cats are great at hiding when tey are in pain or something is wrong. Even the slightest problem can alter their smell and that is what the other cat goes on, smell. If it's sister cat suddenly smells different then there is usually a problem. Good idea to get that one into the vet to see what's up.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a vet check is in order. If they are cleared, then I would guess that tehy were playing, and "someone" knocked the lamp over. Now they are scared of each other, thinking the other kitty made a big boom boom!

If they don't seem to be getting over this big scare, you could go through an introduction, just like you do with new kitties, to get them used to each other again. Maybe a little real vanilla under each chin, so they smell alike. And do any meetings between them in a different room than where the lamp broke.

Kitties can be scared by the oddest things. If I put the food or water bowls in a slightly different area, my girl Festus acts like she is afraid of the bowl, and has to sneak up to it carefully. She was born here, and has lived her whole life inside this house, aside from vet visits and cat adoption shows when she was younger. The new foster cats are never afraid of the bowls, but Festie is every time there is a perceived change.

Cats just process things different than we do. Let us know how they do at the vets office, and how they are getting along.

tgamron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll contact the vet tomorrow, to make an appointment.

tgamron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took the cats to the vet to day, and the vet could not find anything wrong. The vet is doing some blood work and such on Pumpkin, since she is the aggressive one.

The goods news is Pumpkin has lost some weight. She is down from 20.5 lbs from the visit in December to 19.25 lbs. So, the simi diet is working. I changed their diet back in December, so don't seem that as a factor in this issue.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a cat will see a strange one outside, and want to protect its territory, but can't (as the other cat's out), so instead will turn and attack the nearest other one (inluding humans on occasion!). They can take a couple of days to calm down and forget what happened.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming they are both spayed. I hope your vet can find something to clear it up. Do they share food bowls? Litter pans? Or do you have 2 of everything?

They are pretty, but way too heavy
Do you free feed them? Or set portions?

tgamron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Sometimes a cat will see a strange one outside, and want to protect its territory, but can't (as the other cat's out), so instead will turn and attack the nearest other one (inluding humans on occasion!). They can take a couple of days to calm down and forget what happened.
One of the cats did spray the window on the third floor. This is the window the cat tree lets them look out. I live in a three level townhouse, so they can't see much out side.

tgamron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm assuming they are both spayed. I hope your vet can find something to clear it up. Do they share food bowls? Litter pans? Or do you have 2 of everything?

They are pretty, but way too heavy
Do you free feed them? Or set portions?
They each have their own bowl. I used to free feed them, that was the advice I got from the lady from the shelter. But, looking back, that was not a good idea. I feed them set portions now. Gumbo is 14 lbs, she is at a good weight.