I think I'm about to make another enemy out of my other neighbor

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK guys....I'm long winded in person and I type that way too.........

Here's a little background.....there is a cat that started hanging around my house over 3 years ago. I've named him Foster. He can never be an indoor cat for me for 2 reasons....he sprays (and they usually don't lose that habit) and my male cat (who has behavioral problems...spraying) would never tolerate another male in the house. Also, I still don't live in my house....I live in a nearby city. Just last year, I brought him in and had him neutered. Late last year, a young couple bought the house 2 over from mine. The house between us is for sale, so it's vacant at the moment. He and another man were walking down that driveway one day and I went and talked to them at my fence. The couple was interested in buying the house. Foster came up while we were talking and he commented on the fact that Foster hangs out at his house. They have a spayed female who is an indoor/outdoor cat he said. I have NEVER seen their cat outside...only in the windows of the house. Anyway, so they know he's my cat. The past few days (3 I think), I had not seen him. Everyday when I go to my house after work to work on it, I would have to go out back and call for Foster. He ALWAYS comes running nad meowing to me from these people's back yard...jumping over 2 fences to come home and eat. Anyway, last night, I went outside and called for him. I thought I heard him meow, but it was very faint. So I walked over to the house next door, the vacant one. I went up to the fence of this couple's back yard and called. I kept hearing him, but couldn't see him anywhere. I went to the front and knocked on their door...no car, no lights on inside....no one is home. So I eventually left and went back home (where I actually live). Today, after work (I get off at 11:00), I stopped by my house on my way to Lowe's to use the restroom. I went out and called for him again from my back yard.....heard him faintly meowing back. So I walked next door again and called...heard him louder. There is a small metal shed in their back yard that is about 2 feet away from the fence. It sounded like he was on the other side of it...where I couldn't see. So I got directly behind the shed and called his name.....he meowed back right away and I could tell he was inside it...it just had that "tinny" sound. So I went and knocked on their door...still no car...shades drawn...no one home. I went and ran my errands and came back about 2 hours later. He was still in the shed and still no one was home.....then it dawned on me that I hadn't seen any sign of anyone being home the past few days. Normally I see their lights on at night. The guy had given me his phone numbers that one time I met him because he was interested in buying the house between us and I knew the owner. So I called their house phone first, no answer. Then I called his cell and identified myself. I asked him if they were away...he said yes. I told him I thought my cat was in his shed and he said he didn't think so. I told him how when I stood by it and called him, it sounded like he was inside. He said no, the shed had not been opened. He said he was probably under the house...there was this space they go into under there and that's probably where he was. He said when they came back, he would look, but that there was no way he was in his shed. I asked when they would be back and he said tomorrow (Saturday). I got the impression from his tone of voice that he was a bit put off that I was calling him about that. Anyway, I called my mom and talked to her about it and told her I wanted to jump the fence and check it out. I said, "they're out of town, it's not like they can catch me in the act." She said if that's what you want to do, then do it. So I did....and GUESS WHAT? Foster is in their padlocked shed. Now how in the hell did that happen?!!!!! I saw no way for him to get in. I could only slide the doors open about 2 inches at the most. I cut the bottom of a small gatorade bottle, put some water in a small ziploc bag, and put some in a small ziploc bag. I turned the little container sideways and set it down on the floor inside with him.....he was meowing and grabbing at my hands...poor baby....I opened the side of the ziploc with water and I squirted the water through the opening and into the little cup. I sort of did the same with the food. I opened one side of the zipper and put the bag through and shook it until some food fell out for him. He started eating, so I went back and cut my grass. After I was done, I went back to check on him. He meowed more and I noticed all the food was gone. So I gave him some more. Then I went talk to my neighbors across the street about it. They think, like me, that this guy, for WHATEVER reason, locked the cat up on purpose. Before I went home, I went and checked on him again. All the food was gone, so I dumped the rest of what I had in the bag and then I took the water container out. I did NOT want to leave evidence that I had been in their yard....he might have me arrested for trespassing. So, I'm not sure what to do. My neighbors said I should call animal control first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, I have an eye doctor appt. tomorrow morning at 9:15....so it will probably be between 10 & 11 before I get to the city where my house is. If I find my cat has been let out, and I call him about it and say, "I see my cat is back, so he was in your shed?" and he says, no, then I will know that he is lying. What should I do?! Should I call animal control, or should I wait till they get back and see what happens?

Here are a few pics of Foster and following those are some pics I took tonight of the shed and him in it. I took pics of the 2 sides and you can see there are no holes for him to get in.

If you look at the crack in the doors, you can see him in there.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! The poor boy! I have no advice for you, I just hope when he gets out he's OK!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
personally I'd get a pair of those lock cutter things and get him the hell out of there! if he comes to you and asks if you did that, say no, if your kitty wasn't supposed to be in there than he hasn't a leg to stand on

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call animal control NOW!!!!!!!

You have the pictures as evidence that he's in there... they have the RIGHT to open it and get him out!!!!!

Poor baby!!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me I'd call the police and tell him that the guy next door has imprisoned my cat. They will use bolt cutters to cut through the lock and let your cat out.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, try calling the sheriff or police. They may all tell you that since the owners will be back tomorrow, the cat will be okay but then they may do something about it - it's worth a chance, and faster than calling AC. A real concern is the tensions that may arise out of this; since Foster isn't an inside cat, unless you can create a large containment system, he could be the hapless victim of revenge
For his sake, I hope that your neighbors understand your distress, and maybe you could even offer to clean up any messes that he leaves. I know it 's hard to eat crow, but mean neighbors can be devastating to a cat

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe the cops will try and arrange to get the cat out for you. You could offer to replace the lock if they remove it - a phone call to the neighbor from them would probably get permission; afterwards you could overwhelm the neighbor with thanks and get the other people across the street to thank him too - it should lessen the risk of Foster running into "problems" again... Please keep us posted on the situation and meanwhile {{{{prayers and vibes}}}} for Foster & you both!
Susan

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!! Def call animal control...they will get the kitty out (they just have to!) and your neighbor can just take it up with them. It's a rescue of a trapped kitty. Those pictures just broke my heart, that little face and the leg sticking out the crack!
"Mommy....HELP!" If the kitty can't get out by himself, he sure didn't get in there on his own. IMO

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the cops and explain the situation. I would want my cat out of there now. But if you damage your neighbors property without witnesses then you might be in trouble.

Let us know how this turns out.

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This breaks my heart. I am completely sick to my stomach. Honestly, couldn't this be considered some sort of animal abuse, to knowingly lock up a cat with no food or water?

Even if this were some (highly unlikely) "mistake", they should have gladly come back to open up the shed. This makes me so angry!
I hope this gets resolved, and SOON. Sending good thoughts.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosyC

This breaks my heart. I am completely sick to my stomach. Honestly, couldn't this be considered some sort of animal abuse, to knowingly lock up a cat with no food or water?

Even if this were some (highly unlikely) "mistake", they should have gladly come back to open up the shed. This makes me so angry!
I hope this gets resolved, and SOON. Sending good thoughts.
If it was my shed and my neighbor called with the info that you did, I might not come home to take care of it...but I would surely give permission for you to get your kitty out any way that you could. At least you were inventive to get him some food and water, so he should be ok until tomorrow. Please give cutie Foster a big hug from him when he gets sprung. He's a very handsome boy!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have called the police by now, the fact that he refused to help when you called him proves he doesn't care at all. Waiting for him to "let" the cat out may result in the cat being trapped and dumped to cover what he's done. Sadly, you can't underestimate how awful people can be to animals. At least involving police and/or animal control might keep the worst from happening, and maybe since animals are usually thought of as "property" his keeping of the cat might be considered stealing.

As was suggested you should consider building him an enclosure. Next time might be a trap or poison.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!
People never cease to amaze me.

I too would call the cops and do everything in my power to get the cat out. I would tell them I didn't know when he would be back, and I wouldn't worry about being charged with tresspassing. If you have too, take the pictures to the police station with you, it may give you more leverage. He can't charge you with tresspassing without explaining first why the cat was locked in a shed that was "never opened".

God bless you for trying to help this poor soul in any way that you can. You're his angel. Please keep us updated, and most definately think about an enclosure of some sort once you get him freed. My beautiful Miss Bea is a perfect example of what people will do to animals for revenge.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor baby Foster!! You need to call the cops and tell them your cat is locked up in the shed - tell them you need to get him out - anything you do nees to be with their knowledge, otherwise you're going to end up in major trouble

GOOD LUCK!!!!

milk&cookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That last picture made me wanna cry a little!

I'd KILL anyone who did that to one of my kittys. D<

I say call the police or something on them and get your cat outta there!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a pic of the lock, go to Walmart and get a new one, call the animal control/police, and tell them what happened so they can get him out.

If you can't do that, leave your neighbor a note on the shed, telling him that your cat is in there, you have pics, and you have called animal control/the police already if this is a problem. Hopefully, the police or animal control can at least be your witness that your cat is, in fact, in his shed, alive and well, and he will be protected in case this guy is a jerk ...even my dad would have told you to cut the lock, as long as you have one in hand to replace it...Is it possible that there is a hole in the floor, and he just can't find it again or knocked something down on top of it...

Have you called him to find out when he would be home? I would be there (or have someone there for me while I was gone) waiting for his car to pull in the drive...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's one thing to replace the lock, but how do you replace the key without them knowing

I would want to be there when he lets your baby out - it's going to STINK of urine and faeces in there given he's been locked up for a few days, and this guy may not be terribly happy!

I would call animal control and see what they recommend.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man i would call animal control and the cops and get your kitty out. I dont remember if you said, is he microchiped? if so that will help you prove thats your cat to them, but even so they would still get your cat out because he has no food or water that you know of and those idiots can be charged with animal cruelty.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got 2 crutches, I'll gladly lend one so you can beat him with it. Just straighten it out first before you give it back.

Such a pretty kitty, I can't imagine who would treat any animal like an animal, as odd as that sounds, but I'm sure you all know what I mean.