Help me win this argument!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK so I get my tax refund tomorrow.. It's a fairly LARGE amount... I told DH we REALLY need to get another vehicle... We only have 1 truck right now and it's 11 years old.. it's gonna need a new clutch, the frame is bent and it's only got a small extended cab which is getting too small for the 2 kids.. They're 5 and 9 and with both of them and my oldest son's backpack in the back, there's literally NO room! NONE!
Sooo he thinks we should just put the money into the truck i.e. new clutch, have the frame straightened and have the kids "deal with it"...
I also think having 2 vehicles is good in case one breaks down... He can just take the truck to jobs instead of me having to go with him and stay there the WHOLE time because neither of us can be w/o a vehicle....

I am getting enough back to be able to get another vehicle and still stick a large sum into the bank.

What do you guys think?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I would use a safety argument with DH. Tell him that the kids need more space as they grow up and be belted in properly. Also, the bent frame can't be fixed as good as new. Again a safety issue.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vehicle for sure..A normal sized family with 2 driving adults NEEDS 2 vehicles. I have no idea how people survive with only 1.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Another vehicle for sure..A normal sized family with 2 driving adults NEEDS 2 vehicles. I have no idea how people survive with only 1.

Plus tell him when you have to go with him to jobs that's time that you could be home or out running errands for the kids.

In the end though, the safety features on the latest vehicles are a lot more available then what they were 11 years ago. Plus what happens IF the truck breaks down? How will he get to jobs then? You can't always depend on people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep em coming guys!
He's slowly realizing my point... Another point I made was, what if the truck breaks down and we have to put it in the shop and stop the roofing for awhile? At least with another car we can get regular 8-5 jobs without playing "musical schedules" with only one vehicle... I could also go back to work at least part time while he's out working and that's even MORE income coming in.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see a midsize or full size KING cab truck in your future.
Putting money into the old truck is just a quick fix, we all know that the older a vehicle gets, especially if it's life is primarily that of a work truck, the more things will keep breaking down on it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New car!
I'd look into getting an SUV type vehicle, definately- lots of good deals out there! Good luck, you'll win this arguement!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I see a midsize or full size KING cab truck in your future.
Putting money into the old truck is just a quick fix, we all know that the older a vehicle gets, especially if it's life is primarily that of a work truck, the more things will keep breaking down on it.
I was thinking of getting another truck but I really want a car... I am tired of driving a truck..Right now we have a 96 Mazda B3000 and it's not a bad truck, it's just such a hassle

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what kind of price range you're looking at, but for cars I recommend Volkswagen, Toyota and Subaru in that order.
The new generation of American cars haven't been around long enough for me to get a good impression on their longevity, it's not that I have anything against American cars

I'm a diehard Ford truck girl myself

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Not sure what kind of price range you're looking at, but for cars I recommend Volkswagen, Toyota and Subaru in that order.
The new generation of American cars haven't been around long enough for me to get a good impression on their longevity, it's not that I have anything against American cars

I'm a diehard Ford truck girl myself
Honestly, I'm looking into the 3-4k range... something I can put a decent downpayment on and have short payments.. even if it is a buy here pay here...

I think I've pretty much made a good point with him. He's not arguing anymore. I told him I could/would go back to work at least part time while he does the roofing ( I SOOO want to go back to work) so it would mean MORE income

He hasn't argued TOO much since

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would be able to handle the hasstle of having just one veichle. You can get so much more done with two, not to mention you have a backup in case one breaks down. Right now if the truck breaks down your pretty much stranded. So my vote is get buy another veihicle.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not sink $$$ in an 11 yr old vehicle. I would invest it in a new vehicle that suits your needs.