Just looking for a little support.

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

My cat, Garbanzo, is about 10 years old. She went to the vet for the first time in a REALLY long time yesterday for treatment of an abscess. I've been cleaning it every day and they told me the abscess has been healing nicely. Whew! They mentioned though that "Banzo" had a slightly enlarged thyroid on just one side, and it didn't seem too bad. They would do blood work to check, and I went home a happy mommy.

They called me back today. Banzo has pretty serious hypothyroidism, and though my (super-awesome) vet told me it's common in older cats, I can't help but feel awful. I'm scared she's going to die any minute, and I feel like it's all our fault, that we haven't taken care of her, all that self-doubting, sad stuff.

She's seemed normal and playful, and I'm just shocked that she has any sort of illness. It's really hard to hear this. I know it may not be a big deal, but to know that ANYthing is wrong with Banzo really hurts.

Anyway, I'm posting because I'm hoping for a little support from other kitty mommies and daddies who have been through similar situations, or even those who haven't but know what hypothyroidism is like. You all seem like a friendly bunch.
Thanks.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Rosy! I don't know much about hypothyroidism, that is mouthful!! but I'm pretty sure it can managed with a daily pill
Banzo can live for many more happy healthy years with this disorder, so don't fret! it's a good sign that she is still playful, I know there are other members who dealt with this condition and they'll be along to give more practical advice, but I just wanted to give you a little support!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hypo as in low ?? or hyper thyroid??

hyper is very common as kitty s age... make sure to keep the wt as up as possible .. yes there are meds ( thou I have no first hand experience )

IT IS NOT your fault...... Best way I can describe common older cat ailments is just like humans thing s in cats start to ware out ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words
Also, I think I said the wrong disease. It's hyPERthyroidism, not hyPOthyroidism like I originally thought. The former is apparently more common, and that's what my vet mentioned.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
this is un orthodox but my vet did recommend kitten wet for my CRF girl to help with calories

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
still a mouthful!!
but in that case, yeah, I would feed her a high quality food to make sure she kept her weight up

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course you can have support
that's what we are here for!

I had a kitty with hyperthyroidism many years ago. She ended up passing away at the age of 18 from natural causes. She had her condition for 5 years and lived a very happy and healthy life otherwise with the right treatment.

I wish you and Garbanzo all the best

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been through the same situation, but I think we all know how it feels to feel sick worrying about our kits when they are sick.

I am sending many prayers that your baby is okay

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

May we ask what she is eating??
Sure. She eats mostly Purina dry food, specifically for adult/older cats, I think. Sometimes we'll feed her pickings off of chicken bones when we make a stew or something. But mostly it's the dry food.

What is kitty wet with CRF?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cronic renal failure aka kindey trouble... Kandie eats whatever canned kitten I bring... The new avoderm is very good with high protein and fat ...

if you can please place your sweety on a premium food ... talk to the vet about if it should be kitten adult or senior

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Of course you can have support
that's what we are here for!

I had a kitty with hyperthyroidism many years ago. She ended up passing away at the age of 18 from natural causes. She had her condition for 5 years and lived a very happy and healthy life otherwise with the right treatment.

I wish you and Garbanzo all the best
Miss Mew: I'm relieved to know that she can live with this. I took a huge, deep breath just reading that!

Everybody: Thank you so much. I'm already feeling better. She just hopped up on my lap, I think to say "Hi" to everyone

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosyC

Miss Mew: I'm relieved to know that she can live with this. I took a huge, deep breath just reading that!

Everybody: Thank you so much. I'm already feeling better. She just hopped up on my lap, I think to say "Hi" to everyone
Other than diet is there anything else that your vet suggested for treatment?

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I forgot to mention... She wants to put her on Carbemizole (sp?), which is a precursor to (and very similar to) Methimezole. The latter is apparently is the most common treatment, but our cat clinic is participating in a Carbemizole study. I'd have to take Banzo to the clinic several times during the first month for blood testing, and keep a diary for 21 days, but all the drugs will be free for life, and she only needs one pill a day, versus two a day with the Methimezole.

My vet has 5 or 6 other cats participating in the study right now and she said they are all doing well. My vet is fantastic and I trust her judgement, so we're going to participate in the study too. Long story short, she's going on medication ASAP.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a high-quality food for her? Dry or wet? You all are great

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet is a long list ...

avail at grocery /walmart

natural life wet / dry isnt anything special
meow mix wet ... heavy fish but good
sheba in fancy new tin like
some of the new Iams beef and chicken no saucey

dry food
i personally havent found any that are great

Pet stores

nutro
chicken soup
natual balence
avoderm
solid gold
sensible choice
innova
evo
california natural
merrick
evangers
felidea
timberwolf
eagle pack

all of the above make great wet and good dry s

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosyC

Yes, I forgot to mention... She wants to put her on Carbemizole (sp?), which is a precursor to (and very similar to) Methimezole. The latter is apparently is the most common treatment, but our cat clinic is participating in a Carbemizole study. I'd have to take Banzo to the clinic several times during the first month for blood testing, and keep a diary for 21 days, but all the drugs will be free for life, and she only needs one pill a day, versus two a day with the Methimezole.

My vet has 5 or 6 other cats participating in the study right now and she said they are all doing well. My vet is fantastic and I trust her judgement, so we're going to participate in the study too. Long story short, she's going on medication ASAP.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a high-quality food for her? Dry or wet? You all are great
Wow! I wish my vet was participating!
Bird has hyperthyroidism (she's 13 yrs) that was diagnosised in the last year, and it's apparently pretty bad
- we free feed her dry Felidae, and she has plumped back up nicely, not to mention her coat is better!
I hope the new meds work out well!
If you want to pm me about anything, feel free!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't stress too much about your kitties condition. Hypothyroidism is very easily treated. I have it! Did your vet prescribe a thyroid supplement for Garbanzo? Thyroid pills are one of the cheapest drugs on the market! If you get your cat on them, she will feel much better. A slow thyroid affects everything including hair (or in the cats case the coat!), energy level, weight gain, hair loss, dry skin, are just a few of the many symptoms.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which country are you in? I would recommend looking into the I-131/radioiodine treatment as well. While the pills (methimazole or carbimazole) are a good treatement option in some situations, I-131 can cure the disease. For a cat that's only 10 year old, it really is the ideal option. While it is more expensive up front, it costs a lot less in the long run.

I would also recommend asking for and keeping copies of your kitty's bloodwork. It allows you to keep track of symptoms and correlations better. Increased or decreased activity, thirst, and appetite may all show up and be related to hyperthyroidism.

Cats can survive for many years while being treated for this illness. I know of cats that have lived up to five years or more on medication. I know of others who were diagnosed and treated with radioiodine in their late teens, and those cats are now in their early 20s. Hyperthyroidism is treatable, and it is not a death sentance.

As for foods, try to find a good quality canned food (there are lots of opinions on this forum about which ones are good)--the extra moisture in the food will help maintain your kitty's kidneys.

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Wet is a long list ...

avail at grocery /walmart

natural life wet / dry isnt anything special
meow mix wet ... heavy fish but good
sheba in fancy new tin like
some of the new Iams beef and chicken no saucey

dry food
i personally havent found any that are great

Pet stores

nutro
chicken soup
natual balence
avoderm
solid gold
sensible choice
innova
evo
california natural
merrick
evangers
felidea
timberwolf
eagle pack

all of the above make great wet and good dry s
Sharky: Wow! Very thorough list. Thanks!
We're going to PetSmart down the street tomorrow to get her some new food. I'm hoping they have Chicken Soup, as it seems everyone here raves about it.

catsallover: Thank you for the suggestion. I'm sorry Bird is sick! Maybe you can find a clinic near you that is participating in the study as well, although I don't know how you'd go about it :/. I feel extremely fortunate for having found this cat clinic... we were recommended to this vet by friends of ours, and I feel like we hit the jackpot. She clearly knows her stuff, and from (much, much) personal experience, having a good doctor makes a world of difference.

mzjazz2u: I'm trying not to stress too much... *big deep breaths*
. I think Banzo has an overactive thyroid, so hopefully the drugs they prescribed will help.

babyharley: Thank you!

cloud_shade: The more I've been looking into the treatments, the more I'm considering the radioactive iodine option. The doc mentioned it this morning, and the radiology clinic they work with is about 45 minutes away. This is sounding like a really good option to me. Thank you for the advice!