It's 54 degrees in my house!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m sooooooo cold
. My furnace quit sometime in the middle of the night and it's only 54 degrees in here. I've tried reseting it twice and it only kicks on for a few minutes then goes off again. My dad said something about the photocell inside maybe being faulty or dirty? I can't hear the flamed catch in the boiler which is why it's turning off again. I have a service call in to the oil company - but while I wait - I freeze. BBBrrrrrrrrr.
Thank god I'm getting back a nice big fat tax return this year - I might need it for a new furnace.
This one is 1000 years old. It's one of those old large clunky cast iron steam furnaces. Came with the house and is older than dirt.
Please keep your fingers crossed for me that it's something simple (and inexpensive) to fix and that I don't turn into a popsicle while waiting for the service guy.

I need warmth!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Lots and lots of heat vibes for you! This is not the day for it to give it. It was 0 out when I woke up!!!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, can you get an oil filled radiator heater? At least in one room you would be very warm. Just be safe using it.

I have two of them, one in my kitchen and one in my bedroom. I have not had to use my gas furnace all year.....and even though I live in Arizona, we have had some really chilly nights and mornings.

Warm headtbuts and sooothing licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize.
You can come wrap yourself around my little space heater if you like

My last house had an old furnance and it was on the spooky side of working when it wanted to.
It was an old coal burner that had been converted to oil, then converted again to natural gas.
It was a very scary monster that lived in the basement.
Good thing the house was demolished last year

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
brrrr!!! put some thick socks on and wrap up in a big fleece blankie! hope its nothing serious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Lots and lots of heat vibes for you! This is not the day for it to give it. It was 0 out when I woke up!!!
I know!!! Same here (obviously right cause we're in the same state - duh
) It might even be colder with the wind factor

As for the space heater - ummmmmm...actually I have two of them. I just completely forgot about them. What an idiot!

This is what I have you guys for!!
Thanks for the reminder. Off to crank one of those puppies up!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hate it when the furnace goes out. Hope you find those space heaters and stay warm.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok - space heater is on in my bedroom, heater is crankin in the bathroom wall, started a fire in the fireplace, and cranked the stove up to 450 for about 30 minutes. Was scared though, so turned that back off.
And they still haven't called me yet!!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

As for the space heater - ummmmmm...actually I have two of them. I just completely forgot about them. What an idiot!

This is what I have you guys for!!
Thanks for the reminder. Off to crank one of those puppies up!
I can't believe you forgot you had some heaters!

Hope it's a lot warmer now!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago my parents furnace broke and was letting carbon monoxide in the air and they had to have it turned off and we had no heat in the middle of January for a few days until the new furnace could get put in. It was sooo cold. Hopefully yours is cheaper than theirs was to fix.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just not your week, is it?

Lots of vibes that it is something cheap and easy to fix and you are warm again soon.

~stops complaining about it only being 63f in the office because stupid contractors left the window and ceiling tiles open~

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis has an oil furnace that was acting up too-she was hitting the reset button a million times but ended up calling for service (i don't know outcome)
Do you have it checked yearly??? Filters changed yearly (or more?)
If its old - while a new one is $$$ it will reduce your heating bills by being more efficent.
Sending keep warm vibes(((())) I hope they can fix today!!!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo...I can sympathize. Last winter our furnace would just randomly quit on us.

We had the thermostat set for times and degrees, but then one COLD day, poof. No heat. It wouldn't kick on or anything.

We had to have 2 visits (the first time the guy just cleaned the pipes thinking that it was dirt), the second time he just replaced the mechanism in the furnace between the thermostat and the furnace.

It's been working great since!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Ok - space heater is on in my bedroom, heater is crankin in the bathroom wall, started a fire...
I have got to learn to read every word. The started a fire part was at the end of the line and my first thoughts were "OH NO", the in the fireplace. gave me great relief. Hope your furnace gets fixed soon.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hope they call soon! At least you have space heaters to stay warm....are the kits staying warm, too?

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I can't believe you forgot you had some heaters!

Hope it's a lot warmer now!
So you think that's funny huh?
Well, ok...maybe it was funny - actually very funny.
My friends are always telling me I've got blonde roots (I'm a brunette)

Originally Posted by GailC

My sis has an oil furnace that was acting up too-she was hitting the reset button a million times but ended up calling for service (i don't know outcome)
Do you have it checked yearly??? Filters changed yearly (or more?)
If its old - while a new one is $$$ it will reduce your heating bills by being more efficent.
Sending keep warm vibes(((())) I hope they can fix today!!!!
It was checked yearly until 2 years ago. I didn't have it done last year or this year and will probably be kicking myself for that one. I really want a new one and I know it's going to be a katrillion dollars that I don't have, but it will save me in the future I know.

Originally Posted by katachtig

I have got to learn to read every word. The started a fire part was at the end of the line and my first thoughts were "OH NO", the in the fireplace. gave me great relief. Hope your furnace gets fixed soon.
Maybe I should write it like a telegram. Heater on in bathroom wall. Stop. Started a fire in the fireplace. Stop.

So now the stove is off, fireplace is dying down. Just took a hot bath and am crawling into my bed with the bed heater kicking to subatomic temperature. I'm figurin before long I'll have 5 furrballs on my bed as well.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Heat's back!!! Guy came and fixed it. It was just a dirty corroded spark unit inside the boiler. (easy to fix, but nothing I would have wanted to mess with).
and only $70! I'll take it!
Now....gotta go warm up a bit......