Does anyone's campus have a freethinkers' club?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to the local campus chapter of The Center for Inquiry (http://www.centerforinquiry.net/) at my college tonight. It's a freethinkers' club. It was fun enough... on a campus of some 29,000 students, there were only about 15 students there. There was a short talk about what atheism is, prejudices people have against atheists, and then we just hung out.

They said they had an event last year where they had someone read an absurd Bible verse out loud on a loud speaker in between classes. Apparently, they made a lot of people mad. My husband was thrilled... he'd probably take over and read them all this year! Personally, I think it's a little much. I don't like to offend people.

Anyway, I think this club must be young and started by a group of friends. They all were decked out in goth stuff and knew eachother. I didn't quite fit in, but I can jive with that crowd better than most. I did see a girl that I recognized from the gifted and talented program I was in as a child. We talked for a bit and it was cool to find out another person from my area is an atheist/agnostic too (they are few and far between in the Midwest). I will probably go back just because I know her and I want to get involved in something... the meeting itself was not that exciting. I'm sure it will get better. They just need to plan a bit better.

Does anyone else have a freethinker's group on campus? I'm actually curious because the last university I attended did not have one, and I was just getting involved in helping one to get started before I left. This group at my new college is fairly new and very small.

Thoughts, comments...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Atheists aren't as rare as you'd think in these parts, just quieter about it.

Anyway, who cares how many people or how the people dress in a club? You seem to have liked it, so you should go back. If you change your mind, you can always quit going!

I don't know if we have that club, but I do know "The God Delusion" has been selling VERY well... so maybe we ought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I don't care how they dress.
I just feel so old (even though I'm not!) and it makes me want to dress more hip, I suppose!

I haven't read The God Delusion yet... but I plan to read it as soon as soon as it shows up at the library! My husband loves Dawkins. I like him, but he's a little out there for me. I'm a bit more mystical in my outlook.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep going, but I would not take part in any activities designed to offend other people. That is as bad as the bible thumpers on the other side. Have fun, but let everyone see you are serious and dignified and open minded, not out to ridicule.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Atheists aren't as rare as you'd think in these parts, just quieter about it.
living in the bible belt, sometimes it's just less stressful to keep your beliefs to yourself, and i agree with Jenny, we don't want their beliefs shoved down out throats, why should we shove ours down theirs?

I may have to check out the book myself