Meet my broken angel

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Bea...

My sister in law runs a trailer park that my husbands grandpa owns. Bea is the neighborhood dog there. She is the guardian of the park, and always lets anyone know if someone is there that shouldn't be. Bea belongs to no one, yet most everyone loves her. She is approximately three to four years old, and from the best we can tell is a chow-chow mix. She loves children and would often wait for the school bus to come home everyday just so she could play with the kids. She co-exists peacefully with other dogs, countless cats, and runs off any other critter that might threaten something or someone in the park. One night there was what we thought was a bobcat in a tree above my SIL's house, we never got a great look at it, Bea ran it off. She never failed in her duty to keep everyone safe. Always on alert. Always loving, always wanting to be loved. My husband and I lived in the trailer park for about a year after we got married. Bea took up with us immediately and always seemed to be sleeping on our porch, waiting for us to come out and play. She loved to play with our german shepard mix, Pooch. I thought countless times about bringing her in and keeping her as my own, but she seemed so happy the way that she was. Everyone cared for her, and she never wandered far from the park. In my mind she became mine.

Today, I got a phone call that nearly killed me. It was my SIL. She said that Bea had been hit by a car. She wasn't putting any weight on her front right leg and it was bleeding. I immediately went to her house and we loaded Miss Bea up in my truck and took her to my regular vet. They ran some x-rays and when the vet came back into the room, my heart hit the floor. She hadn't been hit by a car, she had been shot!! Square in the elbow. The joint is pretty much shattered and pieces of the bullet are evident in the x-ray. What kind of cold hearted person shoots a dog that wouldn't hurt anyone or anything?? The most loving, sweet, gentle dog in the entire world...

The vet said we had two options (3 if you count her being pts, but that wasn't an option). He could do surgery, remove the bullet fragments and piece back the bone as best he could with pins. This was going to run me 700 dollars!! I just couldn't afford it. I wish I could, but I can't, not all of it. The other option was to splint it with a hard fiber glass cast that she would wear for a minimum of 4 months and let the bones fuse back together while keeping her on antibiotics and pain meds to manage infection and pain. That alone cost me 300, and that nearly broke the bank. She's here with me now, and for now she's safe. I just hope that I made the right decision. The risk of infection is high, and the leg will never be as functional as it once was (but then again it wouldn't be with surgery either). At least she has a chance. I don't know if we can keep her long term, but at least until she's healed, one way or another she's staying here. We'll figure out the rest when it gets here.

She's still sleeping off the anesthesia (they had to put her under to straighten out the leg so they could splint it) but hopefully she'll be back up on her 3 good legs by morning.

The splint is fiberglass, and in two pieces so that I can remove it every week or two and clean under it and check the wound. He secured it with duct-tape, weird I know, but it makes it water proof, its economical and it holds the cast right where it needs to be so that it doesn't fall and cut off circulation to her foot.

If you don't mind, please keep this sweet girl in your thoughts and prayers. She did nothing to deserve this.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a Sweet Angel

Thank you for taking in this wodnerful girl and helping her in her time of need. There are not many people in this world that would do such a thing!

I'll think about her and pray for her quick recovery. I'm sure this Sweet girl will be back on track in no time

Thank you again

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers and hugs are being sent from Mississippi for this lovely dog.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

I am so mad right now to know that someone could shoot this dog. And the sad thing is she probably was looking at them at trusting them when they shot her.

There is a place in hell for the person that shot her.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is such a sweet looking, beautiful girl!
How could anyone shoot her?!!
the sweet girl will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

bless your heart for taking her into your care!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!!!!! How awful for anyone to do such a horrific thing to an animal. Bless you for helping this sweet baby ........ I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your prayers!
I'm a wreck right now. I'll probably be up most the night. The sad thing is, we are pretty sure who shot her. He's bragged about shooting another dog not to long ago, but the problem is that we can't prove anything. She's such a sweet girl. We've got her all set up in the spare bedroom now. She still hasn't tried to get up since we got home. She's just so exhausted. She wags her tail a little harder everytime I come in the room though.
Thank you all again for all of your prayers.

I will try to keep you all updated. Maybe even daily as she progresses. I just wish I could have afforded to get the surgery for her.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It never fails to amaze me how mean people can be to animals. She's such a beautiful girl. Thank goodness she has you to take care of her. She will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the dog shot in a residental area? If so and reported to the police they may follow up on it and at least issue a fine to the person if caught.

A couple of summers ago someone shot a feral cat here, the cat was lucky and the bullet went right through without hitting anything vital. I still worry that someone in the area may be shooting though, as it is a residental area (if a bit rural) I will call police if I ever hear gunfire.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Was the dog shot in a residental area? If so and reported to the police they may follow up on it and at least issue a fine to the person if caught.

A couple of summers ago someone shot a feral cat here, the cat was lucky and the bullet went right through without hitting anything vital. I still worry that someone in the area may be shooting though, as it is a residental area (if a bit rural) I will call police if I ever hear gunfire.
Its a rural area, but still within city limits and still illegal to fire a gun. It will be reported to the police (I'm not sure if my SIL has yet or not) but unfortunately they won't be able to do much. Unless someone saw the dog get shot, there's no way to prove who did it. We've talked to nearly everyone who lives in that park, and no one saw a thing, or if they did, they're not talking.
One lady said she heard gunfire around 9 am or so, but when she got outside, she couldn't see anything at all.

Thank you all again for your prayers and vibes, I have a feeling this little lady is going to need them!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finally had a small breakthrough, she just now finally raised up and drank some water for me!!
This is the first thing that she has showed any intrest in since I got her home from the vets!!
Maybe in the morning she'll feel up to eating. I'm just worrying myself sick over her.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my god the poor thing. I am sending vibes for her to get better.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

We finally had a small breakthrough, she just now finally raised up and drank some water for me!!
This is the first thing that she has showed any intrest in since I got her home from the vets!!
Maybe in the morning she'll feel up to eating. I'm just worrying myself sick over her.
Still sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for Miss Bea and for you for tending to her.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

that's great!
She looks so sweet.
and she's very beautiful. she is still in my thoughts and prayers.
Are you going to keep her?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will definitely keep sweet Bea in my thoughts! lots of vibes for a quick and complete recovery, some people need to be shot

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor girl .... How horrible. Why would someone do such a thing to a gorgeous doggie like her? She didn't deserve it! {{{{ VIBES}}} for Bea to heal quickly!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful pup! And you can tell in her eyes that she's also just as beautiful inside - such soft and loving eyes.

Many vibes for a swift recovery for Miss Bea. And thank you for caring for her. Your broken angel has an angel of her own watching over her right now.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. I will never be able to understand some people.
I hope she feels better soon. Thank you for helping her.