10 wk old kit not eating food

specialk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm concerned about one of the 10 week old kittens we have that is not eating any food at all. A stray mother had the kittens on our porch on Nov. 15 and we are taking care of them & trying to find them all good homes. Anyway, the runt of the litter still won't eat any kitten or cat food. The other two kittens have taken to food very easily. I've tried dry kitten food, mixing it with water, and canned food but she just will not eat. I noticed her tonight and she looks like she may have lost some weight or it could be she's holding her own and the others are gaining-which they should be. I'm just a little concerned. I did call my vet today and was told to mix some kitty milk in with the food to see if that would help. Is there anything else I can do? I'm so worried about her. She's already had a rough time. She had a growth or something on her eyeball. The vet thought it was from a scratch and actually sewed her 3rd eyelid over it hoping it would help it heal. It did help but she's totally blind in that eye. Thankfully though, I don't think it will have to be removed. I know I've posted a lot more info than what's needed. It's just that she's already been through so much and I really want her to make it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by specialk

I'm concerned about one of the 10 week old kittens we have that is not eating any food at all. A stray mother had the kittens on our porch on Nov. 15 and we are taking care of them & trying to find them all good homes. Anyway, the runt of the litter still won't eat any kitten or cat food. The other two kittens have taken to food very easily. I've tried dry kitten food, mixing it with water, and canned food but she just will not eat. I noticed her tonight and she looks like she may have lost some weight or it could be she's holding her own and the others are gaining-which they should be. I'm just a little concerned. I did call my vet today and was told to mix some kitty milk in with the food to see if that would help. Is there anything else I can do? I'm so worried about her. She's already had a rough time. She had a growth or something on her eyeball. The vet thought it was from a scratch and actually sewed her 3rd eyelid over it hoping it would help it heal. It did help but she's totally blind in that eye. Thankfully though, I don't think it will have to be removed. I know I've posted a lot more info than what's needed. It's just that she's already been through so much and I really want her to make it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You may want to try kitten glop:
Home-made kitten formula (Kitten Glop)
8 ounces water (boiled then cooled)
1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
8 ounces whole evaporated milk (not skim)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (not low fat)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt (not low fat)
1 large or 2 small eggs yolks (raw)
1 teaspoon clear Karo syrup
* 1-3 drops liquid pet vitamins
* 1 capsule acidophilus
* 1 drop Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)
* Optional, though very beneficial.
Boil the water, add the gelatin and mix well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition:

1/2 of the canned milk
Mayonnaise and Yogurt
Rest of the milk
All other ingredients

You can substitute canned goat's milk for the canned evaporated milk, if you prefer it. This mixture will keep in the fridge for up to four days. It is jello-like in consistency in the fridge so you can just scoop out as much as you need and warm. It can also be frozen in ice cube trays and defrosted as needed. You can find pet vitamins at a pet store or your vet, and acidophilus and GSE in the liquid form at a good health food store.

If you prefer, you can use this recipe permanently, instead of a commercially available kitten formula. If you are using a commercial formula, add a quarter of a teaspoon of full fat yogurt to the first bottle of each day. This will aid in your kitten's digestion.

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html

Katie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang Katie, you're so fast!!! I was about to suggest the same thing!

Another suggestion is to make kitten soup and add crushed kibble. This will make the kitten used to the taste of kibble and encourage her to eat!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Dang Katie, you're so fast!!! I was about to suggest the same thing!

Another suggestion is to make kitten soup and add crushed kibble. This will make the kitten used to the taste of kibble and encourage her to eat!
Oh...I like your other idea.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try some boiled shredded chicken breast. I rarely have any cats to refuse that. You also might get some Nutrocal paste/vitimins and feed the kitten by itself - because of the eye condition it may be pushed out by the siblings.

If you don't get something into the kitten it will die quickly - doesn't take much of a weight loss on a 10 week old to spell death.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Momma cat still nursing the kitten? (I sure hope so!) I second the ideas here, adding kitten formula whether homemade or bought at the store, (human) baby food chicken, making sure it doesn't have onion or garlic. Or the kibble softened in broth or formula.

Maybe spread some of the food you want her to try on her front paws. Then when she licks it off, she will get the taste for it.

Usually this is the time to be getting Momcat spayed, but if the runt is only nursing, I would delay the spay. Do make sure Mom stays inside only, or she could get preggers again.

Poor baby, how lucky she is to have you take her Mom in, and get her eye corrected by the vet.