Missing my Son

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today was a big day for me. I had to drive my 13 year old son to the airport at 5am for his 8th grade trip to Washington DC. And if that's not bad enough, this is his first time flying. I could tell he was a little nervous, but didn't want to let him know how much my heart was pounding. He's a good kid, but kind of quiet so I was happy to see the kid he was rooming with hanging out with him, and they both looked happy. I'm not a big worrier, but I didn't leave the airport til his plane took off, and when I got home, I was on the computer making sure it had landed safely. (It did.) I have his hourly agenda, so I know that right now he is at the Holocaust Museum. Can't wait til 9pm when he'll be able to call me from his hotel. And Saturday night at 9pm when he gets off the plane, I'll be even happier.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know how you're feeling! My son is 13 too, and has done a bit of the traveling thing...it's so hard, and you'll worry, no matter what! Just keep in mind what a great experience this will be for him...

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah - maybe you could get a mod to change the title of this thread?

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it.

Anyway, good vibes to you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Oh, I know how you're feeling! My son is 13 too, and has done a bit of the traveling thing...it's so hard, and you'll worry, no matter what! Just keep in mind what a great experience this will be for him...
I know it will be good for him and he's probably having a great time. I had to force him to go though. Both my kids would rather be home with mom than out adventuring. There were some other moms like me at the airport, and their kids didn't want anything to do with them. At least mine was ok with me hanging with him til he went through security. (Then I watched him through the window for another half an hour)
Originally Posted by Satai

Ah - maybe you could get a mod to change the title of this thread?

Anyway, good vibes to you both.
Sorry about that. Guess I should have said Missing My son??
You don't really think I'd be on here if my son disappeared, do you. (unless it was my kitty son)

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

Sorry about that. Guess I should have said Missing My son??
You don't really think I'd be on here if my son disappeared, do you. (unless it was my kitty son)
Seriously? I was getting ready to give a huge TCS-vibes care bear stare!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today was a big day for me. I had to drive my 13 year old son to the airport at 5am for his 8th grade trip to Washington DC. And if that's not bad enough, this is his first time flying. I could tell he was a little nervous, but didn't want to let him know how much my heart was pounding. He's a good kid, but kind of quiet so I was happy to see the kid he was rooming with hanging out with him, and they both looked happy. I'm not a big worrier, but I didn't leave the airport til his plane took off, and when I got home, I was on the computer making sure it had landed safely. (It did.) I have his hourly agenda, so I know that right now he is at the Holocaust Museum. Can't wait til 9pm when he'll be able to call me from his hotel. And Saturday night at 9pm when he gets off the plane, I'll be even happier.
I know how you feel.

When my daughter was a senior in high school she flew to San Diago for the Holiday Bowl, she was an all American Cheerleader. I was a nervous wreck with her flying all by herself, I had called the airlines, and somebody met her and got her to her other plane. I just knew somebody was gonna steal my baby out there at that airport, I could just picture all them( Moonie?people)trying to get her

And then I tried calling the Cheerleader people at the hotel and they wouldn't tell me if she got there. They kept telling me it was a privacy thing. After about 1/2 hour with me on the phone, they finally told me that someone that looked like her was there and that she had the same name as my daughter.

I had finally told them on the phone that they could just talk to me until I heard something. I told them if they hung up I would just call back, I told them I understood the privacy thing, but I just wanted to know if she got there.

I was almost crazy by the time she got back to Mississippi

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Me too!

I hate it when my husband travels, which he has to do way too much. He's had some close calls, like the subway bombing in England, and he was on that plane the former Russian spy was on (where they found the radiation). I never sleep when he is traveling, and relax only when I get the call or email that he's made it to his destination (or he's home).

I think you are handling it extremely well with you son. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my daughter is in a similar situation. I'm even leery about her having a Brownie's sleepover at the Vancouver Aquarium... it's a four-hour trip one way with bus and ferry. What if there's an earthquake? She wouldn't be able to get home, and we couldn't get her!

Didn't mean to ramble like that... but I understand how you feel.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Been there, done that. Know exactly how you feel. We have the same 8th grade DC trip here too. My daughter went last year for 4 days and my other daughter goes next year. It's the hardest thing ever. Don't know how your rules are with your school, but our kids were not allowed to bring any cell phones and no parents were allowed to volunteer. It was suppose to not only be a learning experience, but an independence and "growing up" experience for both the parents and the kids.
We weren't allowed any contact with our kids for the full 4 days. (Was the longest 4 days of my life) - but she had the best time and your son will too. He'll be full of stories when he returns! Hang in there!!!
As a side note - I'm really surprised they flew down there. I also live in Mass and ours traveled all the way to DC by bus. Flying is probably much better. Wish ours had flown as well.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Washington, DC in 8th grade. It was probably the most fun I've ever had on a school field trip. Don't worry your son is going to have a ball, and learn alot too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Been there, done that. Know exactly how you feel. We have the same 8th grade DC trip here too. My daughter went last year for 4 days and my other daughter goes next year. It's the hardest thing ever. Don't know how your rules are with your school, but our kids were not allowed to bring any cell phones and no parents were allowed to volunteer. It was suppose to not only be a learning experience, but an independence and "growing up" experience for both the parents and the kids.
We weren't allowed any contact with our kids for the full 4 days. (Was the longest 4 days of my life) - but she had the best time and your son will too. He'll be full of stories when he returns! Hang in there!!!
As a side note - I'm really surprised they flew down there. I also live in Mass and ours traveled all the way to DC by bus. Flying is probably much better. Wish ours had flown as well.
Our kids had to bring cell phones and call us from the hotel. I think I would have died if I had to go 4 days with out contact. I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago. He's exhausted. (We had to get up at 4:30 to go to the airport) They have 2 hours of pool time or hanging out in the hallway now, but my son would love to just sleep I'm sure.
Flying is definitely quicker. We asked him how the flight was, and his comment was "without incident".

Anyway, I feel much better now that I've talked to him. Thanks everyone for your support!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CHERYLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! My eyes just about popped outta my head when I read the headline too! Of course you wouldn't be on here if your son was missing! Its good to know you've spoken with him and he's ok. I know what its like wondering how they are...we moms are such nervous wrecks...and they're having the time of their lives!

Hilda >^..^<