Just a question

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to make an appointment to get Davidson fixed in a few days- when your kitties got fixed, did you take anything of theirs to have with them? I wonder about this because, whenever I have any of my clothes on the bed, Davidson will cuddle with them like crazy- only with clothes I've worn, nothing clean, mind you.

Do you think it would be a good idea to take with the shirt I wore the night before? (just an old t-shirt) Just so he has my scent with him? He's so dependant on me, its insane. He goes nuts when I leave... this is why I ask, would it be better for him to have that?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't do any harm and anything that makes him feel more relaxed can only be good, put it in his carrier and tell them that you would like them to keep it with him, I would just made sure it is an old one incase you don't get it back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

It won't do any harm and anything that makes him feel more relaxed can only be good, put it in his carrier and tell them that you would like them to keep it with him, I would just made sure it is an old one incase you don't get it back
I was just going to wear a plain white t-shirt to bed the night before, just in case he has an accident on it or something, it won't be a big deal.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If he is that attached to you, than I am sure it wouldn't hurt.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, give him one of your worn shirts that smell like you, and his favorite mousey. Since he's a boy, chances are, he won't be at the vet's more than a day...you'll probably take him home the same day!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea.
My Vet allows toys, blankets, cat personal stuff to be with the cat in the kennel while they are recovering.

Not sure what the protocol at your Vet's office is, but our vet insists that the boys and girls stay overnight after alter-surgery. I think it's a comfort for them to have something that smells and feels like home.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

It's a good idea.
My Vet allows toys, blankets, cat personal stuff to be with the cat in the kennel while they are recovering.

Not sure what the protocol at your Vet's office is, but our vet insists that the boys and girls stay overnight after alter-surgery. I think it's a comfort for them to have something that smells and feels like home.
Yup... they keep them overnight, thats why I wanted to know if it would be okay to have something like that with him, I wasn't sure if it would help, or stress him out more?
I'll have to take his favorite ball too, just so he's got something to do

Originally Posted by wookie130

Yes, give him one of your worn shirts that smell like you, and his favorite mousey. Since he's a boy, chances are, he won't be at the vet's more than a day...you'll probably take him home the same day!
Unfortunately, they keep him overnight, which is why I'm a bit concerned.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kenz, the place I got my 2 fixed at require you to bring a twel or blanket from home....1 for them to lay on it, and the scent is familiar, and I'm guessing it keeps them more relaxed less nervous....
it made me feel better too...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I say go for it! Definitely. I bet he'll appreciate having his meowmy's smell close to him.
I hope so, I just didn't want him to be stressed out more than he'll already be.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I was just going to wear a plain white t-shirt to bed the night before, just in case he has an accident on it or something, it won't be a big deal.
That's exactly what I did when I had to take Zoey to stay at the vets all day once. I think it helps them to be able to have our scent near.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I did that for Luna. actually I should change out the sweater since it now smells like basement...

Anyhoo, yes, she is a lot calmer in the car ride and most vets encourage it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think when we go to his vet trip tomorrow for a checkup, I'm going to put one in the carrier, just for the car ride.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kenz, it's also not a bad idea to take along a "cuddler" type bed. Preferably one that Harley has slept in. That way, if Davidson if feeling scared, he can curl up in the bed & be safe with the smell of his brother!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely helps- i do that for all of my animals as well as my fosters. It is comforting for them to have something with your scent on it to snuggle with when they are in an unfamiliar place and are nervous.