Brown Tabby or Shaded Golden Tabby?

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! I am having a color problem. On 12-19-06 my copper eyed white female gave birth to 4 gorgeous kittens. 3 of which were white and 1 we are not sure what he is. We have come to the conclusion he is either a brown tabby or a shaded golden tabby.

His mom is a copper eyed white persian and dad is a blue eyed white persian. I am pretty sure dad is masking both black and color points since his dad was a himmy. I have no idea what mom is masking but I know her father was a silver. Her breeder said that her cats carry the golden gene and that maybe Casper does too since he produced Tigger.

Doing this white to white breeding, I expected whites, but boy was I surprised when he popped out. He is very beautiful and we love him no matter what color he is.

His name is Tigger for obvious reasons. Registered name will be Passique's T-I-Double Guh-ER! Here is a picture of him.

What do you all think? Brown Tabby? Shaded Golden Tabby?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to post more pictures.....

Thanks so much, I have fallen in love with him, he is just tooo cute!

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are more picture of him, but they were when he was only 2 weeks old.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the one parent is possibly carrying the silver gene, the kitten might wind up being a golden. I think you'd have to wait a few more months to really tell.

I'm not totally familiar with the silver gene, other then to know that goldens are produced from silvers. Be interesting to see what he turns out to be. Silvers and shaded go thru a lot of color changes as kittens. You might have to hold off registering him right now.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We love him! He will be our future stud. He doesn't have the persians smashed flat face but it is in his pedigree so it should show up in his kittens.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GoldenKitty45.....thanks for the info. It is just hard not knowing what he is. I would love for him to be a golden tabby. I don't mind waiting though....he is just so irresistable!

He meows at me like "Are you gonna pick me up or what?"

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if he is really a golden, he won't need to have the really extreme face - silvers/goldens are not quite as extreme as the other colors (I like that). I know its a long ways off, but what color would you breed him to?

And I sure hope you plan on showing him and at least get champion if not grand (or close to it). IMO a breeding cat should be shown or have a lot of grands within 4-5 generations.

Charlie's dad is a graand champion. Mom was never shown (but has lots of grands in the first 3-4 generations). Mom came into heat at an early age, so she was never shown. BUT she has produced plenty of grand champion cats. On both sides almost every one of the males is a grand - most of the females are at least champion.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well if he is really a golden, he won't need to have the really extreme face - silvers/goldens are not quite as extreme as the other colors (I like that). I know its a long ways off, but what color would you breed him to?

And I sure hope you plan on showing him and at least get champion if not grand (or close to it). IMO a breeding cat should be shown or have a lot of grands within 4-5 generations.

Charlie's dad is a graand champion. Mom was never shown (but has lots of grands in the first 3-4 generations). Mom came into heat at an early age, so she was never shown. BUT she has produced plenty of grand champion cats. On both sides almost every one of the males is a grand - most of the females are at least champion.
IF and I mean IF, I'm not mistaken, Charlie's mom is a DM - Distinguished Merit which, in CFA speak means that she has produced at least 5 grands (either Champions or Premiers)...so, really, she doesn't really need to be a GC!!!

I personally don't see golden in your kitty Passique...but then I have only met Golden Sibs and so, have really no basis for comparison!!! It stands to reason that if one parent carries Siver, then Golden is very, very possible.

Can't wait to see his pics when hes older!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she is a DM, I think several of her cats have earned it - a few females; maybe one male (have to look it up)

OP, maybe do a bit of checking with a cattery online that has silver and golden persians and see if they have some pics of young silver/golden kittens for comparison.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I think I am just going to wait and see when he is a little older. In some lights he looks very dark, but in other lights he looks lighter. He is beautiful whatever he is!

I may send in a picture to the CFA, they will tell me what color he is for sure.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sure is CUTE!
It's quite possible he's a golden... but I am no expert on coloring at all.

In some of the pics I have found online, I noticed the golden kittens look like they have white on their chests (like your kitten) even though they aren't "with white" so perhaps he is indeed a golden!

Could someone explain what a silver and golden is exactly? What causes a silver coat or a golden coat? Is it a gene the blocks the undercoat color?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just looked up a bit of the genetics... it seems that it's very complicated. I have enough to study as it is.

I did find a few pics that look like Tobie (the darker one w/more brown golden ticked tabbies). So, my question is, would a silver chocolate tabby be more common than a golden ticked tabby? I am assuming so.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know - you have the chocolate silver ocicat color. I don't even know if that silver gene in the oci's ever produced a golden ticked - but you have the aby ticked genes in there. Perhaps they do exist in the breed, but have to be pets - cause they don't have spots - it would be the ticked aby type of coat.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for all your help. Since he was born, I have been learning all about genetics and there is still so much to learn. It is a never ending story. We love him to pieces no matter what, we just want to know what color he is for sure...LOL